GWTW Forum
November 21, 2014, 04:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walk o shame  (Read 1699 times)
Hohenstauffen
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 05, 2010, 06:37 PM »

Has anyone been able to get a WM std. in the air once it's on it's belly, nose facing the [frustrated] flyer?
Thanks,
Don
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 07:16 PM »

I never have and I dont' believe it's prudent to try.

Gardner
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 07:25 PM by Gardner » Logged
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 07:18 PM »

yes    you  can  dead  launch a   Widowmaker  have done it myself.   But   every thing  must  be just  perfect    to do it    and  perfect  does not happen often  in a dead launch position   and  it  can damage the   kite

Good air always Bobby
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:43 PM »

yes    you  can  dead  launch a   Widowmaker

Isn't that kite abuse?

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 08:56 PM »

No dead launches for me unless the kite is rolled up. A little pop then and the kite bounces up and off you go.

6 kite tom
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 08:59 PM »

13, perhaps 2 as a Husky fan.  You've been busy - some nice ones in there.

6 kite tom
Winged V

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 08:02 AM »

Hi Don....Yep
The Widow Maker will Dead Launch very easy.Just need a little ground wind and a smooth surface.Pop it once and when the nose lifts sweep both hands back and take off.

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 09:14 AM »

Hi Don....Yep
The Widow Maker will Dead Launch very easy.Just need a little ground wind and a smooth surface.Pop it once and when the nose lifts sweep both hands back and take off.

+1
Just keep trying, but make sure not to really hurt the kite in the process. Try it on short lines so you cna see how the kite is reacting to what you're doing.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 11:22 AM »

The dead launch is the most difficult to do, and if you are in a grassy field that is not perfectly smooth, nearly impossible.  I have dead launched my WM a time or two but to continually pound the kite into the ground just makes me cringe.....besides, the walk of shame allows me some extra thinking time and the chance to um...inspect the kite to make sure everything is ok.  Yea, thats it.

streamhawk

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 12:13 PM »

that's why it should be called the Walk of Reflection....
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 05:13 PM »

Yeah....I never bought into that whole "Walk of Shame" thing. If you ain't trying...you ain't flying. I have tried with several kites.....I can't do it...even on the beach. But so what! I am not that good....besides it gives me a chance to check the kite for any loose stuff...or holes...check the lines...etc.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 01:47 PM »

Its also a good chance to stretch.... and thats important you know.. wouldn't want to get a cramp. Haven't managed a deal launch yet and I sometimes git it a quick try. For the most part I don't waste time anymore.... walking is good for you..

hmmm Walk of Reflection... I like that....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum