GWTW Forum
August 01, 2014, 05:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism hypnotist - will I ever like it?  (Read 4429 times)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: October 06, 2010, 01:15 PM »

So, before I knew anything about kites other than the fact that they fly and look cool, I purchased a prism hypnotist (and was really only compelled to do so because of prism's claims that it is a good gateway kite to the realm of freestyle flying). Having only flown it a few times (mostly because I very quickly ended up with kites I like better) I find that it over steers a ton and tends to feel like a tank in the sky.

That being said, as I look through my collection, I find myself wondering if anything can be done to improve the experience of flying this kite. Can the bridle be adjusted or replaced with a known improvement? Would I benefit from improving the tensioning of the leading edge? Is it worth the time it would take to make these improvements?

I'd love to hear if anyone out there has modified their hypnotist to a state they find enjoyable. Keep in mind that I really have very limited skills, but still appreciate a kite that I don't feel needs constant corrective input to fly.

If no suggestions are presented, I imagine there will be a hypnotist available through the swap meet in the near future.

Thanks for any ideas. (oh, and I have already removed the ridiculous line attachment clips so I can use the far superior/normal larks head method)
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 01:57 PM »

These may be of interest to you:

No warranties expressed or implied (required feline legalese):
  • A lot of people have enjoyed the Hypnotist.
  • No kite is all things to all people.
  • I like Crunchy Cheetos, but know people that prefer the puffy variety.  Huh

ATB,
Sam
sugarbaker

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 02:08 PM »

It good to know that others have made changes that they found beneficial. I think I would probably like it more if I was a better pilot. I may try a change in the leading edge, and may get super wild and look into a bridal change. Right now my kite has very loose leading edge tension with the factory elastic cord. I may try out a less stretchy/Dacron cord setup like I've been using for my hand made kites.

Thanks for sharing those links. I am instantly re-interested in my hypnotist, even if it is only interest in the project aspect of modifying it.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 02:54 PM »

I dropped the nose WAYYYYY back (far below the markers on the bridle) on mine when I had it and liked it much much better.  I had moved it so much that it occurred to me that the bridle may have been put on upside-down, but I didn't test that.

I also replaced its native frame with a spare one that I had from my BMK Exile (LEs are the same size by some coincidence), which made the kite much stiffer and solved the spongy feel issue. 

Once I made these changes, it was much more fun to fly, but still needed a decent amount of wind.

-Tom

6 kite tom
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 03:09 PM »

I never liked the kite either for the same reasons you gave. The re-frame might help though, it was pointed out awhile ago that the sail is nearly identical to the Quantum Pro, a kite that I did like. So you gotta ask yourself is it worth another $80 or should I pass it along to start the piggy bank for the next kite?

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
bfranz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 03:47 PM »

....and may get super wild and look into a bridal change.

I think it's cheaper to buy a new kite. Those attorney fees, alimony, etc. can really cut into recreational funds! DAMHIKT  Huh Huh Huh Sorry - could not resist being a smart a**. Hope you get the kite sorted out.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 04:11 PM »

I liked the Hypnotist. It was my first dual line kite. I flew one a while back and still liked it. I was surprised at how many tricks it was willing to do.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 05:35 PM »

I liked the Hypnotist. It was my first dual line kite. I flew one a while back and still liked it. I was surprised at how many tricks it was willing to do.

Denny

+1   Cool

Still love the sail design, and sometimes that's all you need  Undecided

WinterDaze AoF
sugarbaker

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 07:43 PM »

....and may get super wild and look into a bridal change.

I think it's cheaper to buy a new kite. Those attorney fees, alimony, etc. can really cut into recreational funds! DAMHIKT  Huh Huh Huh Sorry - could not resist being a smart a**. Hope you get the kite sorted out.

I'm out of town, so posting from my iPhone...did'n't catch the spelling error til you posted.  but presumably, a bridal change would suggest that no written commitment had been made yet.  Funny times. 

on another note, Tom, I may see about turning the bridle upside down (or right side up) or just adjusting past the factory knots.  I may even take the factory bridle off and start from scratch with a simple turbo/dynamic bridle.  without the kite here in front of me, I'm not sure I even know whats on it now... probably a regular 3 point.
coogee

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 10:14 PM »

Prism Hypnotist,
                      yes a new bridle will improve it and so will a reframe and so would a new sail.
   Build a Vortex it is a fun kite, can't say I like the Hypnotist.
       Mike
DonCrash

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 10:45 PM »

You mention it oversteers and feels like a tank...is your bridle adjust to forgiveness or radical?
I have my hypnotist in complete stock with the bridle set to forgiveness (less pull and wider turning radius). I tend to hand it to many beginners/friends as it can take a total beating and crashing. As soon as I take it from their hands, I show them what the kite can do.

Vented L'organic; Vortex; DS (closeted); Quantum (modded to taz); Ocius STD, UL, UL (2pt P90), SUL; Pi (Home made kite)
sugarbaker

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 04:55 AM »

Prism Hypnotist,
                      yes a new bridle will improve it and so will a reframe and so would a new sail.
   Build a Vortex it is a fun kite, can't say I like the Hypnotist.
       Mike

I have built a vortex... and soon to build another.  It is one of my favorite kites. There are a number of kites in my bag that I enjoy considerably more than my Hypnotist, but I like the challenge the Hypnotist currently presents.  I'll keep people posted on any modifications I make and we'll see what comes of a little change here and there.
sealcove

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 02:14 PM »

I recently picked up a near new Hypnotist for $60, and while I have not flown it yet, I think it will be just the ticket for when I want a durable kite or something to mess around with when the breeze is too strong for my better kites.  It seems like a bit of a tank, but that is what I was expecting.  Should be fun to pound it.

sealcove

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 03:30 PM »

I finally flew my bargain sale Hypnotist.  It was the only kite I had with me, it is stock, and I flew it on the 85' x 150# lines that came with it (8-10kt winds).  Based on some of the comments about this kite, and because I have been flying the hec out of my Exile lately, I was expecting this to be pretty unexceptional round of flying. About two hours later I was tired, pleased, and impressed given the price point of the Hypnotist.

Right away I did notice some negatives; a spongy frame, wished there was a leech line, not terribly precise, and does not like to stay in a turtle.  None of these things were terrible, but I kept having "huh?" moments early in the flight.  Before long though, I discovered what the kite does well, and for me that was great flat axles (and axle tricks like cascades), it loves to fade, great flic flacs, solid 540's, and pretty good back spins.  It was really happy in 8-10kts, and a few times when the wind dropped to about 5kts it was still flying and tricking well.  I doubt it would be much fun down to 4mph, but it was great in the range where my better kites start to be hard to trick.

Things I plan on changing: Removing the elastic tip tensioners (they seem to invite line snags) and probably removing the line clips on the bridle.  Even with out those changes I quite liked this kite for what it is.  I enjoyed flying it and I am sure it will get some airtime along with my nicer kites.  This might be the best $60 I ever spent.

sugarbaker

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 04:27 PM »

I think if I had only paid $60, I would be less frustrated than I am now... glad you enjoy yours.  I've yet to make any changes to mine, as I'm in the middle of some other projects, but I'm looking forward to rediscovering my Hypnotist (hopefully with a more enjoyable outcome than I've had in the past).  With the number of people posting that like their particular hypnotist, I am optimistic that I can get mine to a point that I appreciate it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document