GWTW Forum
September 16, 2014, 06:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tips for skymaster ul??  (Read 3031 times)
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: April 02, 2009, 06:10 PM »

recently purchased 1 on the forum great kite but i was having problems in the really light stuff anyway i found an internal  15g. weight in the tail is this stock?? i removed it and went with a ferrel-- kite is now really floaty i like this .. also i shrtened up the bridle by looping both sides around the upper spreader i cant see any way to move the towpoint up seemed to help a little .. any thoughts or hints would be great thanx KO
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 10:03 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
kitelover
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 04:55 AM »

Not familiar with that particular kite, but 15 gm. sounds heavy for an UL. Weights are often 5 gm. (ie. Blue Moon), you could add them until you find your sweet spot. No need for jokes here.
Wrapping the bridle around the top spreader doesn't sound like a good idea, I think they call it a "stress riser". Hopefully you're not yanking and spanking a UL that hard anyway. There isn't a larkshead where the pigtail comes off, probably on the upper/lower legs? If not, you could add one.
You don't sound like a Newbie and probably already know this, but low wind flying is all about finese. No heavy handed yanking the kite out of the sky. Just enough input to get what you want, less is more. Power the kite up and glide down while walking forward to regain field. Lighter and shorter lines for light wind. There's alot of info out there on technique. Let us know how it goes.
kitelover
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 05:09 AM »

Just realized, you're talking about one of Lam's kites. I don't have any, but seem to remember he makes his bridles nonadjustable and most people say to leave them alone. Doesn't seem like an adjustable tow point would hurt and could help. I have watched him tie one in the field and remember they are different than most. I have a feeling he thinks they can't be improved on either. Don't untie anything yet.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 06:43 AM »

If you are flying the UL in SUL type winds try taking out the US or even better get the SUL. Lam's UL's are a little heavier than others, the SUL  lighter than others.... Grin

"Do what you like"
ko

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 09:47 AM »

thanx everyone.. thebridle does not adjust.. that is why i temped it around the upper spreader fittings just to try it with the towpoints up a little i have no idea if this bridle is stock it does not seem to be altered butwho knows??  15 g's does seem like a lot of weight but i will hopefully get it some smoother wind soon and try it again without the skymaster ul is advertised as a 0-6mph kite and definatly looks and feels like it should go way lo.. no yanking here i like the light stuff thanx for your input i am not that new  but i love to learn and have a looooong way to go   KO ps just remembered the kite not only had the steel15g  rod but also had a copper tube that had to add another 6  jeez

have fun kurt
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 10:20 AM »

Skymaster UL:

Lam's kites, to me, are a half step heavier in feel and flight than advertised. So I think of my UL as in-between a UL and standard. It also flys in more wind than a UL so it's all good. If you look at the FULL SIZE picture of the hyperlinked photo, you will see the non-adjustment at the connectors.

I often wrap the bridle upper leg around the US connectors as an experiment to see how the kite is flying for the wind that day. If I like it better and am in a hurry, I'll just tie a small loop knot between the US and the tow point and unwrap the bridle from the US connector. Several of my bridles have those little knots as I like my kites set fairly light. You can always take out the knot if the conditions change.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
ko

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 10:48 AM »

hyperlinked photo?? not sure what that is  i just now did the loop thing like i did playing with the shadow i now have that kite were i like it it is going to be hard to beat  thanx john check my latest at prism under (need parts)u might get a laugh big coinkedink
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 12:25 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
ko

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 10:54 AM »

got rid of the 15Gs in the tail replaced it with 5 after playing around found weight in the wingtips increased that a tad moved the tow point up 1/2 in removed masking tape acting as stoppers for the fittings replaced with heatshrink FLOATS LIKE A BUTTEFLY STINGS LIKE A BEE!! thanx all the kite now tracks way better than the shadow and tricks nicely at least until i broke the lle oh well---- thanx for your help anything more is always appreciated thanx KO ps do other flyers break lle's just below the spreaders??  (hyperlinked photo?)DUH
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:57 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 11:17 AM »

Yes. And it is easier on light kites.
ko

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 12:25 PM »

that figures.. after doing recovery's in the sand i now can see what kind of stress i am putting in that area thanx

have fun kurt
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 12:32 PM »

In sand be especially careful that you don't get a tip dug in while doing recoveries, you can put a ton of stress on the spar that way.

Does the kite still turn well even with the towpoint moved towards the nose?
ko

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 04:23 PM »

i don't think it effected turning enough to matter what it did do is give it just a little more drive  of course at this point in testing it BROKE but between the ozone and shadow i would say i am liking the lam getting rid of most of the tail weight had the biggest effect for the better imo i am not into yanking it made it more graceful i think best of all is i can fly it in almost nothing now   KO ps i still havn't found out where they hide the helium in the ozone  thanx KO

have fun kurt
pfouts
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 09:11 AM »

Glad you got it sorted out ...  I think your UL is closer to a SUL than John's ...  Uses 2pt's as I remember ...
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 11:15 AM »

Mine is framed in 3PT rods.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
ko

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 08:51 AM »

yes paul-john  it is framed in 2pt if u go to his website under skymaster there is my ul a light and standard, ul is shown as 0-6 and i am starting to believe it. the kite also has what i am going to call whiskers very fine rods that attach between the inner standoffs and the u.s. they looks to keep the sail full in the really light stuff?? anyway i just finished fixing it and will go have some fun with it asap  thanx again and i will let u know anymore thoughts?? thanx KO btw if u are interested in the (whiskers) i will take a pic just let me know

have fun kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document