GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 01:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you don't lawn dart your Micron, is it safe to buy a 'good' large kite?  (Read 2492 times)
Scott Blake
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 02:12 AM »

Well, thats why I got the 4D so that wind becomes a non issue hehe.  I opted for the Acrobatx because its lighter (4 grams) so I thought it might be a bit more capable in lower wind than the Quantum and it is more of a trick kite so I can try to learn more.  I plan to fly the bejeebers out of it and given its low cost if I smash it to bit I won't care; if I can get 8 hours out of it, its a 10 buck an hour investment which is fine.  Any more, bonus!

The wind here has been brutal of late.  I went out yesterday and could only just get my Micron up.......and then a few turns and down while walking backwards as well.  I got my Snapshot set up for launch and the wind shifted and blew it in the opposite direction I was setting it up for momentarily (always a bad sign).  Finally, after getting the Snapshot up for a while a freak shift from the right instantly collapsed and plunked me to the ground.  As I had been nursing a walk back with that as well (while trying to regain that ground on gusts) I figured it was a sign to call it a day.

I can see it all now, 40mph gusts when the 4D arrives hehe....too much for all my kites.
Victrinia Ridgeway

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 07:50 AM »

Which Snapshot do you have?? I just ordered a 1.9... considered a 2.5 but decided I would likely injure myself with one of those...lol

V

Flying the edge of the window and lovin' it...
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 12:43 PM »

Light wind and even zero wind is one thing (OK, maybe two!), but wind that shifts enough to turn foils inside out is nasty stuff. A SUL kite doesn't really solve that problem.

Are you flying near big obstructions, or is the wind just naturally that brutal by the time it gets to you?

Norm in Toronto
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 08:05 PM »

For those 180 wind shift days, keep an eye on wind indicators all around your flying area - trees, flags, tall grass, smoke, dust, plant seeds or debris floating in the wind, spider webs, etc. If you see a shift ahead of time, you can start heading to the edge of your current window. When the change gets to the kite, you are already half way realigned and you have less pumping and footwork to get the rest of the way around.

If you didn't see the shift coming, and finessing it is too much work, it's easiest to land the kite and walk a 90 degrees arc around the kite while keeping the lines tight (so they don't snag anything on the ground). At that point, you can launch and fly the other 90 degrees around while walking back to the center of your old wind window, if space is limited.

The really frustrating days are when the wind is like a windshield wiper and constantly flip side to side 90 - 180 degrees every three minutes. That's when it's time to get a beer and watch a kite dvd or Oprah, depending on who has control of the remote.   Roll Eyes

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Scott Blake

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 11:32 PM »

I have the 1.4 Victrinia.  Its no problem for pull, the 1.9 would probably be just about right if I could do it again - by that I mean it would have a bit more and be a bit more exciting as a result.  I don't think either could ever lift you off the ground or anything short of being outside in a hurricane.

Today is the nicest day I have seen in a month and a half...and not a wiff of wind.  Perfect 4D day; alas its in the mail not in my hands!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document