GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 12:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Man arrested for flying a kite with LEDs  (Read 887 times)
Dave Gibson
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 13, 2010, 10:48 PM »

found this on a uk kite forum Huh I don't know if this was posted here
Man arrested for flying a kite with LEDs

My kite bag

Widow maker  STD
Widow maker UL
Delta Drive  STD
INAK SUL
Trick and Track
Prisim quantum STD
Night Hawk
Ignighter
Levelone  TIVAR ,
levelone Thor's Hammer
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 01:34 AM »

From memory, wasn't he wanted for something else and they just happened to catch him while he was flying the kite.

He wasn't actually arrested for flying the kite with LEDs.

Victrinia Ridgeway

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 08:37 AM »

Link totally didn't work for me...  Roll Eyes

V

Flying the edge of the window and lovin' it...
bakerworks

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 09:13 AM »

Try:
http://boingboing.net/2010/09/16/man-arrested-for-fly.html

Mike
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 12:09 PM »

Additional details here and here.

Police cited Sawka for
  • disorderly conduct
  • public nuisance
  • being in a playground after hours

"The man whose LED-lighted kite made some people think there was a UFO over St. Paul was back to his old hobby this week and ran into trouble.

St. Paul police received reports this summer about unidentified lights in the sky. They found the source on Aug. 20. Ernest Sawka Jr., 34, was flying a kite with small lights attached to a long string.

About 11 p.m. Monday, two people waved down officers, saying they “saw an unidentified object in the air” in the area of Minnehaha Avenue and Etna Street, said St. Paul police spokesman Andy Skoogman. “Our officers knew right away it was a kite with lights on it” because they were aware of the previous case."

Random thoughts:
I fear for the future of humanity.  :'(

Repeatedly piss off police officers by engaging in actions that send them out on useless calls because you feel you are in the "right".... yeah, because that's going to end well.

After repeated flights an officer told Sawka, 'If I catch you doing this again, I'll come and find you and put you in jail.'" .... this is a study in situational denial and a failure to comprehend.

The inability to distinguish between kites/leds and scary UFOs.... might be time to throttle back on the cable subscription, because apparently there is an intake thresold on "Mystery Science Theater 3000" before it starts impairing judgement.

Almost every park in my neck of the woods posts hours as dawn to dusk.  After night fall, unless there are special events and permits in effect, you are trespassing... you have two strikes (stupidity being the first) against you.  I can see where this would have been fine if the person had contacted authorities in advance. Otherwise, I am pretty sure similar results could have been achieved by dressing up in sirloin and breaking into selective cages at the local zoo.

WTF(rick)..... yeah.... that pretty much covers it.

Sorry if the response is too emphatic.  Google "Victoria Snelgrove"... The ability for things to go south fast and forever is immeasurable and people seem to be surprised with only rare exceptions.

ATB,
Sam
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum