GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 01:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lost my photo software  (Read 3166 times)
johnguz76
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: October 07, 2010, 04:40 PM »

Laptop finally gave up the ghost but i was able to get just about all my stuff off the hard drive and transfer to my new Mac Pro.One of the programs i lost was Photoshop Elements.I found the disc to reinstall but i cant find the case with the code so it wont install.I was thinking of getting a new Photoshop software pac but everyone i talk to says go to Adobe Light room.Anyone familiar with Light Room?Is it similar to Photoshop.I guess i could do the free trial on both to see which i like but what do you guys use??

"GIVE ALL EXPECT NOTHING"
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 06:48 PM »

If you registered and activated Photoshop Elements under your name your should be able to contact Adobe and have them help you with activating it again on your new machine.

The biggest difference between Photoshop (Elements) and Lightroom is that the latter is a non-destructive photo-manipulation tool.

In PhotoShop, if you change the constrast, brightness or whatever and save the file all your changes are applied and stored in the file as the final output.

In Lightroom, all your changes are stored as the original files and all your edits are stored as instructions with the file.  These instructions are applied to the original image whenever it is rendered to the screen/printer or exported.

9 Minutes, but this should answer a lot of your questions:
What is Adobe Photoshop Lightroom?

ATB,
Sam
FlyingJoe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 07:00 PM »

I love Lightroom, especially 3.0.
It's a bit pricey at $299, but it's quite powerful.

And if you qualify for a student/teacher/etc. discount it can be had for the low low price of $99.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 07:07 PM »

Mark Reed loves Lightroom.

For me, Elements is just fine. I always keep the original of any photo I've manipulated and throw away any original I never worked on.

Searching by assigned title or original file name has always worked for me.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
quincy

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 09:34 AM »

Lightroom and Elements are complementary programs.

Lightroom is a workflow product. Use it to import, catalogue, keyword and classify pictures. It has very nice, non-destructive editing tools. It is the program I use 95% of the time (or Aperture on a Mac, I have both). If you shoot a lot of pictures, this program is very useful.

Elements is a pixel level editing program. Sometimes you need to do something to a photo that Lightroom can't. Masks, layers, etc. It is also destructive editing. As John says, you keep the original and edit a copy. That way you can always discard your edits and start over.

If you already own Elements, keep it (as was suggested, get Adobe to help with the key). When you have the money, think about Lightroom.

Doug
Bouncing over the white clouds, killing the blues. - Roly Salley
johnguz76
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 02:46 PM »

contacted Adobe like previously stated they gave me the key when i registred the product.I;m golden..Thanks guys..

"GIVE ALL EXPECT NOTHING"
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 02:57 PM »

Good to hear.  Glad you're sorted.  Smiley

ATB,
Sam
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 03:01 PM »

So, how 'bout Aperture vs Lightroom? I looked at both a couple years ago when I was shooting more but both were fairly new at the time.

Allen, AKA kitehead
glk47
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 11:02 AM »

You don't mention what version of Photoshop Elements you had, but Adobe has just started shipping Version 9, and has a deal running for $30 off.

Larry
quincy

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 11:40 AM »

So, how 'bout Aperture vs Lightroom? I looked at both a couple years ago when I was shooting more but both were fairly new at the time.

My version of Aperture is 2, Lightroom is 1.4. I have not worked with Lightroom 3 or Aperture yet .

Some awkward file handling in Lightroom 1.x which is why I tried Aperture when I got the Macbook Pro. The issue I had with version 1 of Lightroom has been fixed, so I have been told. I haven't upgraded yet but will.

The two programs leapfrog each other for features so it becomes the old Mac vs PC debate.

Upgrades for both programs is $99. Brand new, Aperture $199, Lightroom $299.

A BIG advantage to Lightroom is the cross-platform license. You buy it and you are licensed for Mac or PC. If you have both platforms (and I do) that is a big deal. Aperture is strictly Mac.

Lightroom integrates with Photoshop CS x. I don't believe it integrates with Elements but I may be wrong.

Aperture can use iPhoto libraries or import photos into its own libraries.

Both programs have 30 day trials. No risk to trying them.

If you shoot a lot of pictures, need indexing, keywording and search capabilities, I think you need one of these programs or something similar. When I go to a festival and I'm posting nightly updates to Flickr, these programs make life incredibly simpler.

For the number of pictures John takes and he only uses Elements as his tool, he has far more patience (read attention span) than I do. Cheesy

Doug
Bouncing over the white clouds, killing the blues. - Roly Salley
Josiah
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 10:23 AM »

Although the problem has been "solved" I am surprised no one has mentioned the free alternatives... 

Google's Picasa is a fine substitute for Lightroom and GIMP2 is just as good as Photoshop.  It seems crazy to pay anything at all for Adobe (let alone hundreds of dollars) when free alternatives are available.  I'd rather have my money in the sky than on a disc!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 11:19 AM »

Picasa is great, I use it for snapshots and business photos, but it doesn't do a lot of the stuff Lightroom does for serious shooters.

You get what you pay for with GIMP...

I use GIMP for some things iPhoto or Picasa can't do, but there are plenty of reasons for serious shooters to buy Photoshop. I don't need high end tools, but plenty of people do.

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 02:16 PM »

I find Picasa limited too, I did look back into GIMP but Windows 7 is not supported, which is where I need new editing software, so obviously development has slowed. Too bad since I am not real fond of the latest Paint Shop Pro but my older, well loved version is not Win7 compatible either and I like more power then the crippled Photoshop Elements offers. I'm still looking but it looks like I'll have to buy Paint Shop Pro again, usually around $50 for my upgrade, often with a few $100 in extras thrown in. No help for you on a Mac though.

I would look at GIMP though as suggested if you need a full power editing program, heck it's as free as those trials and you get to keep it rather then cluttering up your drive with inactive software.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Josiah
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 03:14 PM »

Although they don't explicitly say it, the latest build of GIMP is compatible with all flavors of Windows, from XP SP2 on (including W7)...
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 05:28 PM »

Research the forum, some people say it works, most have problems and many who thought it was working came back once they actually tried to use the program rather then just opening it. Sure sucks to loose hours of pixel level editing, free isn't worth that. I really wanted to go that way. But it is available for Mac & Linux and worth consideration if you need more features then some pay for software.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum