GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 10:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Wind Is Back !  (Read 1877 times)
bfranz
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: October 09, 2010, 05:39 PM »

After what seems like 6 months (really, it's about 3-4) our prarie winds have started to blow. That's the good news. The down side is the average for the next 6-7 months will be 12+ gusting to 30+ and if it ever stays in one direction for more than 10 minutes I might faint  Smiley Smiley Smiley. Gripe, gripe gripe - us old guys love to complain. It feels good to get back to tearing up kites rather than reading about others doing it.
Turkey9186
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 07:07 PM »

The winds here are finally dying down after blowing in the mid 20's-30's since May! Grin
Jerry
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 07:25 AM »

It hasn't been a great year here in NJ either. I went out at lunch the past couple of days even though it was 1-3 mph on my 50' lines. I flew my Nirvana SUL and it was just nice to be out. Rain is back again for the next couple of days.

Bob D.
lylenc

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 08:49 AM »

"... average for the next 6-7 months will be 12+ gusting to 30+ and if it ever stays in one direction for more than 10 minutes I might faint"

Vented Rev 1.5/Barresi and vented Rev II.  Cool   

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
bfranz

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 06:44 PM »

Have an older Rev 1.5 (c. 1995) and an Airbow - both comfortable up to maybe 20. The Rev seems to take anything but the Airbow (with me at the helm, anyway) gets a little psychotic above 15. I have been considering a vented or mid vent but if I buy any more kites this year, I might have to sleep in my truck and the nights are getting cold already. Oh, bother!
Bob D

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 04:13 AM »

DEFINITELY get a vented! I fly my vented Rev 1 when the wind is over 15 and it doesn't complain at all! The vents might also make it a smoother ride too if there are gusts.

Bob D.
lylenc

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 01:59 PM »

I flew vented Rev II three days at Manzanita, OR with 30 - 35 mph winds and no hand, back, shoulder, or neck pain. For comparison, a standard dual line kite at about 12 - 15 mph beats me up in about three hours.

Flew a 20 - 25 mph day at Lincoln City with Vented Rev II. Another flyer was using a Rev II and it was too fast for him. He put on two tails to slow down the Rev II. Eventually he came over to see how I was slowing mine down without a lot of effort; pointed out it was vented.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 12:56 PM »

YEP!YIPE!
The wind is certainly back yesterday and today at our NW Beaches...and also along our PugetSound Waters...
Talk about needing vented kites...here is a sample of what these high tides and winds have been doin'!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Sketch

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 01:02 PM »

Oh yeh...
Located near one of my favorite Wa. flying sites....sadly the beaches are disappearing faster each and every year at this location.

bfranz

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 06:04 PM »

Today's forecast winds WSW 25-30, gusts to 50. Some areas may have more severe winds!!

The trees are bent over, every window is rattling and the windward side of all the fences are covered with tumbleweeds. Winter on the prairie ... ahhh!!

Guess there's no rush to fix the center T on my 4D.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 10:05 PM by bfranz » Logged
Sketch

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 06:32 PM »

Today's forecast winds WSW 25-30, gusts to 50. Some areas may have more severe winds!!

Guess there's no rush to fix the center T on my 4D.

Cheesy Wink Huh Cry
AMEN!...Seems like every time I pray for wind...The Good Lord also answers...Perhaps I need to give more detail in my WindPrayer requests? Lips sealed Roll Eyes
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 04:41 AM »

bfranz..you just need an Aerodrone Speed Limit then you can just keep flying..........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Sketch

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 10:21 AM »

In the early 90's I modified a couple of  Small Skynasaur Skyfox for HIGHWIND COMBAT KITE COMBAT.

My late friend Paul Dehope and I  replaced both leading edges with pulltrude rods and a beefed up 220 spreaders and flew that during those daze-wind days that often a weekly thing-thang' here at our NW Ocean Shores Beach weekend get aways.

We'd hook up some short 80 ft. 90lb. spectra and what a hoot-tootin good KITE COMBAT time.
We would tie short crape'paper tails onto those little Skyfox's and on a signal from our gathering peanut gallery gathering of startled spectators...would attempt to see who coult first slice off that trailing streamer.
Usually Paul would make the first CUT...however many times the COMBAT MATCH would end with both kite locked together in a massive  line tangle crash into the sand.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum