GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 09:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vortex Std or UL???  (Read 2760 times)
cojack_2107
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 13, 2010, 10:05 AM »

Hi guys, I'll be building my first Vortex by Christian Derefat soon. For the past few days i have been thinking, what should i do with the framing. Should i go with the UL to cover those low wind days or should i go for Std?? But i'm afraid that it might lost some tricks in UL frame.

I would appreciate it if anyone who have build and/or fly both the std and UL could give me some information on how the UL performs compared to the std.

Will it have limits to its trick capability or still obtain the same as the std. I hope that this question can be answered soon. Thank you in advance.
nobbl2k

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 10:17 AM »

I have both, like both very much, but do prefer the UL.
Why?
I can do all the tricks with the UL I am able to do with the Std (even yofades and one pop yo-yos are stupidly easy), I get taz machines much easier out of it than out of the Std (might be me though), it flies in very low wind and it is more graceful.
It is just plain fun to fly it.
cojack_2107

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 10:26 AM »

Thanks for the fast reply.  Grin what you used for the UL frame?? I got two opinion from two different person.

One said LE P90, Spine P100, LS PT3, US 5mm weight 12g

and the other person said ULE P90, LLE P100, weight 10g and the rest is the same as above.

Whats your opinion??
nobbl2k

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 10:44 AM »

The specs of my UL are:
ULE P90, LLE P100
lower spreaders 3PT
spine structil 6mm
upper spreader structil 5mm
weight 15g
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 11:34 AM »

I've had my standard Vortex out in some pretty low wind (as low as 3mph I would guess) and enjoy the fact that it still holds up in the 18mph range.  I have been thinking about building one with a slightly lighter frame... but using tapered spars in the leading edge... so 5pts in the leading edge, with 5pt lower spreaders and 5mm upper spreader, with p100 spine.  My hope is that the slightly lighter frame will give it the edge in the low end of the wind range, but the flexibility might be forgiving above 10mph. 

I'm currently working on my Organic, so my new build of the Vortex is probably a month away... but if I remember, I'll keep you posted as to how it flies.

All that being said, if you have the means, just build up two frames and try them in the sail... I have no intention of changing any of the sail or bridle dimensions for my "slightly lighter than standard" version.

good luck with your build.
cojack_2107

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 11:51 AM »

hope to hear from you soon. If its good, i might just use the same frame as u do. for now i guess i might just go with the UL framing as wind is often low in my area and maybe build a std one on the next session just to add to my collection. Grin
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 01:21 PM »

I built both STD and UL and I can confirm what nobble2k said, the UL makes the same trick as the STD so built the one which is more suitalble with your usual  winds. About the frame I asked directly Derefat before framing my UL and he answered me giving these solutions: 

P90 as LE, structil 6mm as spine, structil 5mm as US and 3PT as LS
3PT as LE and LS, spine 6mm, US 5mm

I made mine using the first one and I'm happy how my Vortex UL came out.

Paolo
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 09:06 AM by Svolazzo » Logged
JohnE

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 07:22 AM »

I'm just finishing my first build (le Quartz) and was wondering about the Vortex as my next project.

As a newcomer to building, can I ask what might be a daft question :-

Besides the framing, are there any other differences between the build of a STD and an UL ? I've looked at the plan and can't see any mention of STD / UL differences. Have I missed something ?

Also, are the bridles different in any way ?

JohnE
indigo_2107

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 07:51 AM »

I've done building my Vortex UL... i used the same bridle as the standard given on the plan and i used lesser weight. +-10g.. at times when the wind pick up i add another 5g but placed it closer to the center T with the 9g right at the tail. Flew great though. And ouw ya... customise the turbo so it can be adjusted to 3 point or longer turbo line. Smiley hope it helps.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 09:25 AM by indigo_2107 » Logged
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 09:12 AM »

My UL differs from the STD only in the mylar panels: in the STD I used 75gr mylar and in the UL 60gr mylar.

Paolo
mdilucca
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 07:31 PM »

Has anybody made a vented Vortex???

Cheers
Mario

Cheers
Mario

jaydub

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 03:00 PM »

I'm just finishing my first build (le Quartz) and was wondering about the Vortex as my next project.

As a newcomer to building, can I ask what might be a daft question :-

Besides the framing, are there any other differences between the build of a STD and an UL ? I've looked at the plan and can't see any mention of STD / UL differences. Have I missed something ?

Also, are the bridles different in any way ?

JohnE
Hope to see you exercising this at Lyme sometime soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum