GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 02:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOUND-FOTO' in the bottom pocket of my old 1990 competition kite bag?  (Read 1593 times)
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 13, 2010, 05:30 PM »

While digging through my old kite bag...I found this old photo taken during a Longbeach Wa. festival that I flew competition...around the early 90's.

Does anyone remember this kite team...and the kites that they are flying?
The kites have that Skyn-n'Sour' Fox look....but that doesn't quite fly right?
Can anyone fill in the blanks in my demented kite brain the names of this team and or the flyers names??? Huh

[attachment deleted by admin]
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 06:35 PM »

Bay area Sundowners?

Kites= Rainbow Stunt Kites

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Dave Gibson

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 08:59 PM »

windjammers  maybe?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 10:00 PM by Dave Gibson » Logged

My kite bag

Widow maker  STD
Widow maker UL
Delta Drive  STD
INAK SUL
Trick and Track
Prisim quantum STD
Night Hawk
Ignighter
Levelone  TIVAR ,
levelone Thor's Hammer
TGunn
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 01:07 PM »

Photo looks like it was taken at Long Beach, Washington. Kites look like Dynakites. Too big to be rainbow kites. Looks like a team that used to fly that were from Yakima, Washington named "Stunts "R" Us" They were all police officers. Back in 1990 there were a lot of teams competing. Definitely not the Bay Area Sundowners in the pic.

Troy Gunn

Founding member of TKO Sport Kite Team - USA

http://tko.sportkite.team.tripod.com/Troybio.htm
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 02:22 PM »

Definitely Long Beach as the original post says, not shot during WSIKF though or you would see my shade right there on the left. Looks like the boardwalk is in place but the lookout tower is still free of the dunes. That would put it 1992 or 1993, maybe 1994 but I'd lean toward earlier, I don't recall the exact year the boardwalk went in but pretty sure 1991 or 1992, the lookout tower was swallowed by the dunes soon after.

Can't be of any help on the team, I would go with Troy's guess. You were tearing up that area around the time weren't you Troy?

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
TGunn
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 04:34 PM »

Definitely Long Beach as the original post says, not shot during WSIKF though or you would see my shade right there on the left. Looks like the boardwalk is in place but the lookout tower is still free of the dunes. That would put it 1992 or 1993, maybe 1994 but I'd lean toward earlier, I don't recall the exact year the boardwalk went in but pretty sure 1991 or 1992, the lookout tower was swallowed by the dunes soon after.

Can't be of any help on the team, I would go with Troy's guess. You were tearing up that area around the time weren't you Troy?

That pic was at a sport kite competition on Long Beach that took place in July. The NW Stunt Kite Regional used to take place in July there every year. Yes, I lived in Oregon and competed up there until 1993, before moving to Texas in March of 1993.

Troy Gunn

Founding member of TKO Sport Kite Team - USA

http://tko.sportkite.team.tripod.com/Troybio.htm
Sketch

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 08:05 PM »

RIGHT ON! TROY!!!
YES!
That was indeed the JULY SPORTKITE COMP. AT LONGBEACH!
The same year that Jim Barber and I WON PAIRS "MISERY" BALLET Flying ROB SCRIBNERS ORIGINAL AQUA AND UNDERPANTY PINK   www.rangerrob.com CUTTING EDGE TURBO JETS beautifully custom made by the the gifted genius ROD GUYETTE 

Gads...we had a great time in those dazedays huh,

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 08:15 PM by Sketch » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document