GWTW Forum
July 22, 2014, 04:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relocation to Oregon is a go  (Read 3585 times)
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: October 13, 2010, 07:00 PM »

It's  official, we have located a new residence in Brookings, Oregon Map (Its actually the long narrow brown roof at the end of the road)

I am currently in northern Michigan to drive my father to Florida I get back to Tucson on 10/22, load wife's car and a trailer with her cloths, a bed, TV, and some kitchen supplies and head up 10/26 to meet her in Crescent City 10/28

She begins preforming eye exam's 10/30 at the Fred Meyers, I will return to Tucson to finish packing the house, hope to be done by Christmas

This whole thing started as a thought back in August, and progressed to Kristine finding a new practice (optometry). We looked in Newport, but the office was too small.

I remember how I used to be able to toss all my stuff in the car and drive to a new place, look on the local bulletin board, find someone looking for a roommate and be sleeping in my new place that night. Now I need a huge u-haul, load only the necessary items and fly back at least 3 times

MikeM
TucsonAZ
BrookingsOR

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 07:09 PM »

Great! Can you get down to that beach by foot? When you get settled...send us pictures of you flying on that beach...with a big grin!   Grin

All the Best,
Chris

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
Victrinia Ridgeway
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 09:59 PM »

Have a house warming party and we'll come fly your beach...  Grin

Flying the edge of the window and lovin' it...
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 11:46 PM »

Brookings has some sweet wind. There is a small kite festival there every July. I have flown in Brookings probably 10 times or so and had some excellent conditions on just about every occasion.

You can drive down to Crescent City for our kite club fly the 1st weekend of each month too.

Peace

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 04:31 AM »

Congratulations on your most excellent relocation ! Good luck with your move...

Jeepster

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 08:09 AM »

Congrats Mike.  I'm jealous of the smooth winds you'll be flying in all the time.  But, you did note that the drive to Kite Party has been greatly extended ... yes?

Cheers,
Tom
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 12:02 PM »

I suppose if you can adjust to the view...

Wink

Congratulations!

I tend to think you'll get a lot more kite people showing up on your doorstep that in did in the desert.  Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 01:26 PM »

But, you did note that the drive to Kite Party has been greatly extended ... yes?

Cheers,
Tom

But what a drive  Wink  of course that'll add another 200% to the time required to stop and see all that scenery, at least the first few trips. You might elect to jump over to I-5, not much to see there and only 9 minutes longer. Alternately you could do I-5 / CA-99 and pick us Chico folks up on the way, only another 17 minutes.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 01:28 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 06:10 PM »

Can you get down to that beach by foot?

There is a path somewhere to the beach, I wasn't there long enough to find it yet.
We arrived in Brookings last Thurs/ checked out Kristine's office, met with bankers, and looked
at properties on Friday, many more properties on Sat then we saw this one and I knew we were done

Lets shoot for a new years day fly, I should be there full time by then

You can drive down to Crescent City for our kite club fly the 1st weekend of each month too.
I will be there for the November fly.. Saturday or Sunday??

Congratulations on your most excellent relocation ! Good luck with your move...
Thanks I will need help loading the truck....anybody???

But, you did note that the drive to Kite Party has been greatly extended ... yes?
Cheers, Tom
Yes the drive to KP will be longer, but my brother has moved within 1 mile from the beach so I can leave earlier, drive further and still save money not having to stay at HoJo, Still closer than you!!

As for other festivals I will be able to attend

WSIKF                        August 15-21, 2011
Windless Kite Festival
January 15-16, 2011       Long Beach, WA 98631
Rockaway Beach Chamber of Commerce Kite Festival
May
 Lincoln City
Indoor Kite Festival - March
Summer Kite Festival - June
Fall Kite Festival - October  October 9 & 10, 2010
Brookings–Harbor
Southern Oregon Kite Festival     July 16-17, 2011
Rogue Valley Wind Chasers        Monthly fly
Crescent City Kite Festival        late August
and active clubs I can join, Rogue Valley Wind Chasers. Associated Oregon Kiters,
Washington Kitefliers Association

I tend to think you'll get a lot more kite people showing up on your doorstep that in did in the desert.  Smiley
Rooms available, $200, space on deck $150, Garage space $125...make your reservation early- Oh yea, you cook don't you?

you could do I-5 / CA-99 and pick us Chico folks up on the way, only another 17 minutes.

I am in Michigan, driving to Florida...Kristine just called and said a friend might know somebody that want to rent the house in Tucson...timetable may move up a bit good thing I gave up that work thing!

Thanks for the comments..I'm jazzed

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 10:26 PM »

Incredible abode!
But I'm not envious! Ya right....I LIE! Cry

Congratulations!

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
Dolphinboy

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 09:11 AM »

I will be there for the November fly.. Saturday or Sunday??

I'll make it for the November fly as long as something unforeseen doesn't come up. When i can make it, I almost always come over on Saturday and fly all day. It takes me a couple of hours to drive there so you'll have a much easier drive from Brookings.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Victrinia Ridgeway

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 02:27 PM »

Lets shoot for a new years day fly, I should be there full time by then

Count me in brother....  Grin But given that you are almost to the California border... We would DEFINITELY need a place to crash in town or something...lol

V

Flying the edge of the window and lovin' it...
rodbuggy

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 05:52 PM »

Welcome to the wonderful state of Oregon.  We'll be looking forward to seeing you on a flying field next year.  Most of the festivals on your list are on ours too!  You want to watch yourself Al Stroh is liable to recruit you for the Brookings festival committee.  You mght want to add Berkeley to that list too.  About a 6 hour drive down 101.  Good luck with the move.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 06:27 PM »

CONGRATS Mike !!! VERY NICE!! although after looking at the home and map the area looks to be a little crowded LOL hope to be passing through fairly soon. here's to not seeing each other at kite party
regards Kurt

have fun kurt
moegeo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 07:41 PM »

Good luck with your move, you lucky dog you!
Geo.

Say Good Night Dick
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document