GWTW Forum
September 15, 2014, 08:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Diamond 3PT...so nice !!!  (Read 2556 times)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: October 17, 2010, 01:07 PM »

I just discarded(or replaced) my old regular 3PT and installed BD 3PT as lower spreaders in my F kite. It looks really nice. The finishing in the BD 3PT are amazing. The surface is extremely smooth and shiny. Just perfect. Now my bridle lines will last a long long time. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 02:12 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 01:16 PM »

Discarded?

As in:
they aren't cracked or broken
they still could be used as a LE or on another kite
they're not smooth and shiny so I'll never want them
they're in the trash

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 02:12 PM »

Discarded?
I think I'm using the wrong wording here. I mean replaced and use as back-up if the BD fail.

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 03:35 PM »

Discarded?
I think I'm using the wrong wording here. I mean replaced and use as back-up if the BD fail.

BD never fail...You can send me the others Wink

The new Frank!
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 06:32 PM »

Discarded?

PM sent LOL

have fun kurt
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 10:12 PM »

I thought about doing this myself, but instead just put a little moonie tape on the LS between and to the center of the standoffs and called it a day.  This prevents bridle wear due to the wraps in the spars.

I once suggested to Lam that he should switch to the BDs and he told me why he hasn't, but I can't completely recall his answer.  Are the BDs as strong as the skyshark rods?  It seems like they must have to sand and smooth them, which may make them thinner.

Lam's kites are not framed like many other kites - he typically seems to use lower pt ratings on the LEs and higher on the spreaders.  I think that strong spreaders are important to the design.

It's tough to break a 5pt - I am sure they will be fine.  Let us know how you like them.

-Tom

6 kite tom
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 12:30 AM »

BDs are very nice looking and easy on bridles.

My only problem with them is they seem to be somewhat variable in weight and flex.

Standard PTs don't seem to suffer these variables to the same extent in my experience.

I use BDs but find I need to spend some time (and money) matching sticks.
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 01:13 AM »

Are the BDs as strong as the skyshark rods?  It seems like they must have to sand and smooth them, which may make them thinner.

comparing 3pt to 3ptBD... the outer diameter is .005mm thinner on the large end and stays the same at the small end.  Overall, this saves .5 grams (12.5 vs 12). specs are available at Skyburner's website at right.

The sanding removes very little material it seems and the inner diameter stats remain the same.   
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 01:43 AM »

Quote from: JimB
My only problem with them is they seem to be somewhat variable in weight and flex.

Quote from: sugarbaker
specs are available at Skyburner's website

I looked into variability in spars a while ago.  Embarrassed I'd view the manufacturer's numbers as no more than a guide.

Black Diamond spars are nice 'n' shiny and if you are having wear problems, spar vs. bridle, then why not.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 08:55 AM »

To make a spar like this, the carbon is layed up around a mandrel. The spar is then wrapped in a thin tape to compress the fibres together, and then it is cooked to cure the epoxy. Once the tape is removed, it leaves behind those ridges which are composed mostly out of excess epoxy I believe (not totally sure on that though). They don't contribute much structurally to the spar, although they do leave weight.
To make the black diamond spars, the standard spars are sanded down to a smooth surface and then clearcoated. So yes they are a bit lighter and they have a bit thinner walls, but structurally they are basically the same. I suppose that it does add another variable into the manufacturing process, but if you are really concerned about matching spars perfectly you will have to go through some intense testing processes anyways since it's well nigh impossible to manufacture all spars identically.

And I'd love to meet the lflier good enough to be able to tell the difference between spars in flight.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 11:49 AM »

And I'd love to meet the flier good enough to be able to tell the difference between spars in flight.

right here ... i can almost always tell the difference during flight between the broken and non-broken ones. Cool

Fdeli
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 12:34 PM »

I purposely find spars that are not the same weight.  That way if I screw up a trick I can then explain to all my friends that the reason is not my totally awesome mind blowing skills, instead it is that extra fraction of a milligram of weight on the left lower spreader that is the culprit.

I am not certain, but I thought that the BD rods are built from a different modulus carbon material than the normal rods?  Perhaps the master John T. can clarify this.

Regardless, the BD rods are a huge step up in the sexyness department and will get you more chicks when you fly them.

The above claims of increased chicks have not been verified by the FDA or the AKA nor are they endorsed by the poster or this forum.  BD spars are not designed to treat hair loss, poor fashion choices, odors, balding, bad toupee's or over-sized beer bellies.  Results may vary depending on the light of day and intelligent level of the chicks being attracted.  Use only as directed and at your own risk.

JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 02:21 PM »

It's not any secret that, in general, most spars used for kiting applications are re-purposed and seconds.

Icone and Aerostuff may be somewhat better in this regard at a price.

Quote from: JimB

Quote from: sugarbaker
specs are available at Skyburner's website

I looked into variability in spars a while ago.  Embarrassed I'd view the manufacturer's numbers as no more than a guide.

Black Diamond spars are nice 'n' shiny and if you are having wear problems, spar vs. bridle, then why not.

Mike.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 03:22 PM »

Yes they do!  In the past 3 months I've broken two BD Nitro lower spreaders when doing aggressive Flapjacks.  Both times they snapped in between the standoffs!  Not the fault of the rod, I was flying to some funky music at the time and got carried away  Cheesy

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 05:17 PM »

Removing the ridges from the wrapping process should remove all those little stress risers at each junction of thicker to thinner, John C is our engineer maybe he can explain stress risers. Theoretically though the sanded spars should be more durable.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document