GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 09:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 170 LBs. bridle line...Does it stretch under heavy use ?  (Read 1439 times)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: October 17, 2010, 04:56 PM »

I know flying line stretch a little when use.  What about stretching in bridle line under heavy use ?  Do lighter weight bridle line stretch more the the heavier one(100/140 LBs. vs 170 LBs.) ?

I'm using 170 LBs. bridle lines on my F STD.  Do you think it is the proper/correct weight ?  Does it cause a lot of drag if fly in low wind condition ?  I know it will slow down the kite a in high wind.  I believed the original one is 140 LBs. only.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 05:02 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 05:08 PM »

Bridle line is usually braided Dacron line with a solid spectra core. It has almost no stretch... especially for the few feet in length.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 05:22 PM »

I wouldn't worry about the line weight diffs for anything but an SUL.

I replaced some 90lb bridle line with 140/150 and noticed no loss in low wind ability with the kite.  It would be interesting to know the weight differences in just the line. 

6 kite tom
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 12:26 AM »

You'll get more change in length from the new knots tightening up as they settle than from the bridle stretching. Don't worry about it.

zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 01:32 AM »

Does it cause a lot of drag if flown in low wind condition ?

The equation governing this is:-

where v is the velocity. So at low wind speeds it'll be creating less drag. If you're worried about the size of the 170# bridle line versus the 140# then it's A, the area, you should be concerned about. But if you're worried by this minor change....  Roll Eyes

I know it will slow down the kite a in high wind.

If you have a sufficiently delicate touch to be able to divine the affects on a kite of a change in bridle material then you should be answering the questions here, not asking them.

The major property of interest for bridle lines is durability. Almost every bridle I've had to repair hasn't been due to stretch or disturbing critical airflow across the kite's sail but because it's worn out on the LE.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 08:40 PM »

I know it will slow down the kite a in high wind.

If you have a sufficiently delicate touch to be able to divine the affects on a kite of a change in bridle material then you should be answering the questions here, not asking them.

If using 150# flying line can slow down a kite in high wind, the same logic will apply to 170# bridle line(when comparing to 140#).

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 09:39 PM »

If using 150# flying line can slow down a kite in high wind, the same logic will apply to 170# bridle line(when comparing to 140#).
True... but we are talking about 6' of bridle line as compared to 100'-300' of flying line.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 12:22 AM »

I've rebridled a couple of kites in 90# unsheathed spectra i.e. flying line; as tcope says for a mere 6' of line it really made no difference.

zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 02:51 AM »

Quote from: cids
In all seriousness..... if you really can feel this change then you should be moderating this section.

Go back to the equation I quoted and compare total area of 150# flying line (at the length of your choice of course, I believe this has been discussed before) with that of the two bridles at 140# and 170#. One will be a large number (thus important), the others will be small (and unimportant).

I've heard people before talk about the effect of stiff bridle line too, usually ones with heavy sheathing, but feeling this effect is beneath my clumsy hands too. As long as the line is easy to knot and holds the knot tight, I'm fine with it.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document