GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 02:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best UL for under $200  (Read 1425 times)
winlr
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: October 17, 2010, 08:34 PM »

This weekend a couple of folks in our kite club asked me what I'd recommend for a UL kite. I've been away from buying new kites for some time and can no longer make an educated recommendation. Personally I fly one of my Nirvana ULs when the winds get light. I picked up a used Zepher last month and it seems pretty light, although not in the Nirvana UL class. Also I have a Silver Fox UL and it's really a standard weight kite. There's just nothing UL about that kite. In addition I still have a Prism Ozone. Too bad they don't make them any more. Overpriced but great fun in the light stuff. Got mine new for $90. When of my better buys!

Okay folks what do you recommend?

I fly kites when the sun shines, the wind is gentle, and there is music in my heart.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 09:16 PM »

Probably the Acrobatx UL or a Shadow. I like the Acrobatx UL but the Shadow will fly in less wind.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 09:55 PM »

Second on the Acro and Shadow. 

The Acro UL is WAY better than the standard Acro - felt like completely different kites to me.  I think it is also  much less than $200, more like $125 - you can almost pick up a 4D with the $ you save.  I really like the 4D, but it definitely trades radical tricks for super low wind flying ability.

The Shadow flys better in less wind, but it is harder to trick than the Acro.

I also like the SF UL, but as mentioned, it needs a good 4-5 or so to fly well.

If you can break then bank and hit around $350, I would go for a Transformer TL.  I fly mine and have fun in 3mph right on up to 18 - its like a UL and standard all in one.

6 kite tom
KaoS
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 11:22 PM »

I found the complete opposite - obviously each kite rewards a specific flying style.  Go figure!

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 11:34 PM »

I found the complete opposite - obviously each kite rewards a specific flying style.  Go figure!

You might be right - I still own my Shadow! 

6 kite tom
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 01:21 AM »

you might consider spending a tad more (225) and get an Ocius UL... I am considering getting one to go along with my standard because I like the standard so much.

I haven't flown a UL, but if it's anything like the standard version I feel like it would be an excellent value for what you get in workmanship and ability.

Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 10:29 AM »

I forgot about the Skyburner Freestylist. I think the UL is $200. Super well made and a true UL.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 11:42 AM »

priced under $120 i'm thinking the flying wings airwave zero. only had the chance to fly it once but it really made a good impression on me, especially for the price.

Fdeli
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 12:41 PM »

I would second the Airwave Zero for the lightest of winds, but the Airwave UL is also a very good kite that tricks well and flies in the same wind ranges of the Shadow.

I fully agree with all of the suggestions in this post.  Any one of them would be great and all under the $200.00 mark. 

Myself, I find that the Ocius UL and the Widow Maker UL are the ones that I pull out of my bag most.  All other UL's don't get a fraction of the air time that these two kites get.  They are of course over that $200.00 threshold though.

Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 01:47 PM »

+1 for the Shadow. Great kite for the money, tricky too.  Cool

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
oldflyer
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 02:32 PM »

The Silver Fox 2.3 UL is hard to beat in my view  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography