GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 05:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HQ Infinity - Opinions wanted.  (Read 1795 times)
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 11, 2010, 10:17 AM »

Has anyone out there had any experience of flying the HQ Infinity standard?

I'm thinking of getting one in the near future but there isn't much about them on the web.  As I'll be flying mostly inland, I'm particularly interested in the genuine minimum windspeed it needs. The review I have read ( translated from German) seems to suggest that it need rather more than the 5mph HQ quote to fly well.  What is it like to fly? Is it a good buy?

Thanks  Smiley

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 10:25 AM »

If you're flying inland, get a Mongoose. Will fly very low and evens out bumpy winds very well.

As for the infinity, I'm not sure about it, never flown one. I did see like a video on it though...
HQ Infinity uncuted

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 11:51 AM »

Darren, Kent and I have flown the Infinity standard and vented.

The other Darren, after flying Kent's standard ordered a complete set.

Yes, you can buy a UL Infinity for your low winds. Oops, sorry.

As far as low wind capabilities, I don't know. We never really had the conditions to test it out.

From a modern kite standpoint, it is a very good kite in both flying lines and doing tricks. It is slower in doing tricks than a Deep Space or Talon, but then, it is a larger kite.

I place the Prediction and Infinity in a class of excellent, large modern kites that were overlooked.

While Devin is probably correct in surmising the Mongoose is a good choice for low winds (any Ken McNeill kite really), don't let his unabashed enthusiasm for a new model take you off getting a kite you want.

Vented Infinity Clickable Link

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 12:23 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 12:08 PM »

Excellent kite and very capable.  The Infinity tricks as well as the best of them and is a wonderful flying kite.  The Infinity comes with a tremendous amount of adjust-ability so you can fine tune it for your flying style.  I really like this kite and also feel that is has been greatly overlooked.  Sail is PC-31 Icarex and looks fantastic with the black, white, gray colors.

Once correction though - I don't think it is available in a UL model and is only available in the standard and vented.

For light winds, I think the 5mph listed (smooth consistent wind) is the minimum it will fly in unless you remove the pre-installed weight, then you may be able to get a little more but will still take a little work - not standing flat footed.

Hadge

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 01:03 PM »

If you're flying inland, get a Mongoose. Will fly very low and evens out bumpy winds very well.

Unfortunately anything like the BMK's, Fearless or anything else that would need to be imported from the States isn't going to be an option as on top of the purchase and shippings costs, I would then have UK customs and import duties to pay which can increase the cost substancially!  Embarrassed

Once correction though - I don't think it is available in a UL model and is only available in the standard and vented.
For light winds, I think the 5mph listed (smooth consistent wind) is the minimum it will fly in unless you remove the pre-installed weight, then you may be able to get a little more but will still take a little work - not standing flat footed.

I'm not looking for the Infinity to fly in very low winds, I have a Shadow for that, it's just that the report I've read suggested that it isn't really happy in winds below about 10mph which seems a bit high for a standard.  I also have well used Flying Wings Soul which is quite happy in 6-7mph and I would have expected the Infinity to fly in a similar way and in similar winds.

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 02:17 PM »

You could fly the vented Infinity in 10 mph winds. It's very lightly vented.

In 6 mph winds, the Infinity will be a happy kite and you will be able to fly or trick with minor foot movement during tricks.

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 03:59 PM »

Here is a thread on the Inifinity from last year:

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=1004.0

Lots of pictures start at linked photo below:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 04:24 PM by chilese » Logged

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 11:16 PM »

they're not a boutique kite and nor do they fly like one but boy are they close. they offer a lot of value for the money.

the frame is a little flexy on the leading edges but it doesn't seem to hamper anything. our friend who has the vented flies it from 10+ all the way down to when the rest of us are pulling out UL's.

however with the soul already in your bag, unless it's falling apart, i'm not sure the infinity would be significantly different to warrant the purchase.

the soul has a tiny bit more finesse and refinement than the infinity in my opinion but it's also a little more money.

for any reader without a flying wings soul already the infinity is one of the best 'high mid range' kites.

while i have flown the soul and infinity on several occasions, it should be said, i don't own either.

Fdeli
Hadge

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 07:24 AM »

Thanks for all the replies guys, I now have a standard Infinity on order..just waiting for the Postman!! Tongue

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 11:20 AM »

after you've had a go, be sure and let us know your opinions will you?

Fdeli
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change