GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 04:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does my 4d not stay aloft?  (Read 3021 times)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 07:29 AM »

It should fly fine in 2 mph, someone will get those measurements up so you can check. By the time you can fly that Zephyr the 4D should go back in the bag so something is amiss IMO.

That 4D does need small inputs, not much more then a wrist twist when grasping the straps between a thumb and index finger. Pumping it up should be done with a slow and smooth swing back and a step back if needed.  Slow movements and a step back also when you do dump the pressure off the sail to recover. Remember to recover those back steps any time you point the kite toward the ground by stepping forward.  . Light winds and small kites is all about smooth and field recovery.

Steve put this into words one day, in light winds your window becomes vertical, if you keep the kite directly downwind rather then flying side to side you will have much better success.

Oh and turn under that is make your tuns at the edges go down rather then up,  gravity is your friend in no wind, use it to gain momentum rather then fighting it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 07:38 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 09:08 AM »

Check the bridle - I ONLY fly mine in less than 2 and it easily flys (just stand there) in that wind.  Of course, it is not going to fly/move like a Zephyr in 6-8mph.

In super low wind, the kite will continue to fly, but it will fly slowly.  One of the things I like best about the 4D is that you can do nice slow 540s because the kite will flatten out and and float giving you lots of time to pull for the rotations.

Once you get used to flying it in low wind, it is pretty capable.  In low wind, I enjoy flying it and working on 540s, slots, fades, backspin cascades, multi lazys, cyniques, cascades, a rung or 2 of a jacobs ladder.  It is more than capable enough to keep things fun and interesting even in no wind (0) at all.

6 kite tom
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 09:38 AM »

Thanks all for the suggestions.   I will toy with it some more and see what or if I can do anything with it.  The wind picks up and it shoots up high and then just falls backwards.  Maybe I need a bigger area to work in?  Pickings are thin except for the beach here and that's too cold right now.  Too many darn trees and not enough open spaces in the panhandle.
dihongshao2000
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 10:51 PM »

Check the bridle - I ONLY fly mine in less than 2 and it easily flys (just stand there) in that wind.  Of course, it is not going to fly/move like a Zephyr in 6-8mph.

In super low wind, the kite will continue to fly, but it will fly slowly.  One of the things I like best about the 4D is that you can do nice slow 540s because the kite will flatten out and and float giving you lots of time to pull for the rotations.

Once you get used to flying it in low wind, it is pretty capable.  In low wind, I enjoy flying it and working on 540s, slots, fades, backspin cascades, multi lazys, cyniques, cascades, a rung or 2 of a jacobs ladder.  It is more than capable enough to keep things fun and interesting even in no wind (0) at all.

Tom,  Would you please text me next time you fly your 4D or Fearless so I can learn from you?  I am not able to have my 4D do much yet but started all the other tricks on bigger kites now.  I will be flying at Golden Garden and Gasworks Park during the holiday week...
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 12:01 AM »

Tom,  Would you please text me next time you fly your 4D or Fearless so I can learn from you?  I am not able to have my 4D do much yet but started all the other tricks on bigger kites now.  I will be flying at Golden Garden and Gasworks Park during the holiday week...

No problem - I'd like to get together and fly, I will text you the next time I head out.   Smiley

I love what the 4D can do in near no wind, but I wouldn't recommend it as a trick trainer - to get it to half-axel to fade, for example, you really have to be able to do that trick reliably well on a standard wind kite.  The thing weighs only a couple of ozs, it can't handle much extra strength thrown its way, we are  talking coaxing, sweeping, tiny popping with it.  Start with the stall, axel, and 540 in very little wind - being able to do those will give you a good enough feel on the kite to move on to other tricks.

6 kite tom
dihongshao2000

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 06:44 PM »

No problem - I'd like to get together and fly, I will text you the next time I head out.   Smiley

I love what the 4D can do in near no wind, but I wouldn't recommend it as a trick trainer - to get it to half-axel to fade, for example, you really have to be able to do that trick reliably well on a standard wind kite.  The thing weighs only a couple of ozs, it can't handle much extra strength thrown its way, we are  talking coaxing, sweeping, tiny popping with it.  Start with the stall, axel, and 540 in very little wind - being able to do those will give you a good enough feel on the kite to move on to other tricks.
Sounds great.  Looking forward to it...
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2010, 11:09 PM »

Thanks for all of the input everyone.  I think I realized today after flying the zephyr for the first time in a few months that I am just not as good as I was or thought I was during the summer.  I just put these kites back in the air for the first time since august and I had never really flown the 4d as work has just been a bit busy.  Maybe with a bit more practice I will get better with it. 
jeepersjoey

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 08:36 AM »

We can all relate to your issue.

I bought a Nexus and could not get it to stay in the air.  I did all sorts of adjustments and trials but the thing just dropped like a rock.  I would say I was an intermediate flyer.

Then...one day the wind was 15+ and I tried again.  The Nexus was twitchy but it stayed up.  The issue was that it needs a LOT of wind and Colorado has gusty 0-3 mph.

I fly the 4D when there is little to no wind (I am always doing 360s), the Quantum Pro when the wind gets 1-2mph faster and then the Zephyr when it gets above 4 mph.  That is my progression.

The 4D should and does fly in no wind.

My advice on light wind flying is always, always, always have tension on the strings.  You are then controlling the flight rather than relying on the wind (when there is NONE!!!!) to do the work.  This is 100% practice to get to this stage of understanding!

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document