GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 01:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another newby with questions  (Read 5788 times)
shannon23455
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 18, 2010, 02:39 PM »

Hi all. Firstly I'll introduce myself. I'm Shannon, 32 living in Australia. I have discovered a new hobby/sport that you nice people here have known for a long time. I've learnt take offs, landings, loops, and turns. Now I'm looking to move on from my beginner dual line to a kite that is capable of tricks. After a little research. I have come up with 3 options that I like and are in my budget range. They are prism quantum, premier wolf and the flying wings acrobatx. Being a newby I have no idea of pro's and cons of each so I'm looking for an informed opinion of which would be better in the longterm of learning tricks.

Thanks in advance
Shannon
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 03:18 PM »

Welcome to the Forum!

I like the Quantum a lot. Big enough to be stable. Stong enough to try anything with and capable enought to learn a whole lot on.

The Wolf and Acrobatix are smaller, quicker kites which is sometimes a drawback when learning.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 03:35 PM »

Out of the three you mentioned, I'd go with the Wolf. The Quantum is a slug trick wise and the Acrobatx is kind of wild.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 04:38 PM »

I personally prefer to recommend the Quantum for newer flyer's, but then you appear to be beyond the pure learning stage. The Quantum is the larger and slower of the kites you mention with decent precision, excellent speed control and as indestructible as you'll find. The Wolf is a smaller faster kite but with surprisingly good precision for its size and is one bag full of fun IMO but will require quicker reflexes which doesn't translate into the best learner kite, but it will take you further into the tricks area. I don't have any personal experience with the Acrobatix, I've heard oversteer on it which I don't like but I think some bridle mods have been posted for it that help cure some of its bad habits.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 05:33 AM »

I started out on smaller kites and didn't understand the benefits of a larger kite. A larger kite will slow things down a lot. Smaller kites move too fast for someone to learn what's going wrong when you're learning  a trick. Even if the Quantum isn't as tricky as the Wolf, you'll be able to learn the inputs to do different things. Besides, you'll be quite happy learning the things the Quantum CAN do. (And then check out the Swap Meet for some high end stuff like the Talons that were on a short while back. Then you'll be hooked.)

Bob D.
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 06:23 AM »

Seeing that you can control the kite, i recommend you go with the Freestylist or Silver Fox. The cost is just above the kites mentioned by others, will do more tricks than you can handle, parts and spars are not expensive and are available, and will fly in winds around 5mph. Just my opinion. Good luck with your choice my friend.
Smooth and gentle winds.                    Tempest.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 09:09 AM »

I have to disagree with those suggestion a Quantum as a next step up for learning tricks. If the OP was asking for a suggestion on a good kite to learn dual line flying that will do some tricks, then the Quantum is an excellent choice. But this is about getting into tricking and the Quantum is very trick limited. I have one and never use it to teach tricking, showing a beginner how to fly, yes, perfect kite for that. Sturdy, easy to fly and it will do a few tricks.

But if they were to go with a Quantum with learning tricks in mind, they would soon get frustrated and need to move up a gain very quickly. Where either of the others will go much further in the tricks department. I guess I just disagree with others on this but I have spent some time showing beginners how to trick.

Also, like Tempest stated, for a bit more there are some really capable kites. If your a Prismaniac then the Hypnotist would be an infinitely better choice than a Quantum. It doesn't like to sit in a Turtle but does many tricks. For that money though, I'd go with a Silver Fox or a Widow.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
shannon23455

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 12:00 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions. You've all given me some food for thought.

Thanks again
Shannon
Bob D

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 12:54 PM »

I'd have to agree about the Silver Fox or the Widow. It's really worth a few extra dollars to get something that's trickable if you want to move up to tricking. (Now who was it that was getting out of kites in Oz? I wonder if he's got something for you in your price range...)

If you're serious about kites and there's no doubt that you'll continue, try and spend a little more (or a lot) for something that you'll always have.

Size wise you might like a kite that's over 2 meters. Smaller than that and they're too fast.

Bob D.
shannon23455

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 03:24 AM »

So with the silver fox. Which is the better one to get? The 2.3 or 2.5?
Bob D

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 06:27 AM »

I only know the Silver Foxes by reputation so I can't say for sure, but I think the 2.3 meter would be a nice size. If someone can speak for the 2.5, I might say that the size might start to make it too slow (if that's possible).

It might be something like slightly plus sized people - they' can still fun but they may not move quite as fast. (I flew a Krystal once and it seemed BIG too me. It's okay but I like kites that are a tad smaller.)

I personally like kites in the 2.3 range - not too small and not too big.

Bob D.
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 10:47 AM »

My advice is to buy a used Hi-End kite* and stick with it for the a few years. You will grow faster this way.  Also save a lot of $$$ too.  Regarding the size, it has to be at least 90in. in width.  New flier has slow hands and usually don't mix very well with small fast kite. 

*Hi-End kites are the usual N kite, NSE kite, F kite, SD kite, C kite, S kite, K kite, T kite etc. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 04:05 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
shannon23455

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 02:55 PM »

Ok so the time is near to make a decision. I have decided to spend the extra $$ and go for either the widow or the silverfox 2.3. What sets these two apart from each other?
Bob D

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 05:38 AM »

Before I started buying higher end kites I had the same question. The answer, I've found, is that they're all decent as you're paying more for a decent kite and either one would be a good choice. The Silver Fox has gotten good reviews and I've seen people fly them and do all the things I can't do. I have the Widow Maker which is the pricier version of the  Widow and for me, it's tricker than my Nirvanas. (I like the Nirvanas though because they're so deliberate and predictable though.) If the Widow flies like the Widow Maker, it's flies lower than a lot of other standards and it's lighter on the lines at higher wind speeds. I can do turtle based tricks easier with the WM and 540s are easier to get too.

I guess I'm talking myself into preferring the Widow if it flies like the Widow Maker now. The Silver Fox is still probably a good choice if you like the sail layout better than the Widow. As you're learning to do tricks, your success will be more dependent on your inputs than how the kite responds to your inputs. Different kites may have different flying characteristics but you have to learn the inputs that each requires. (I have a set of Transfer xt.r's and a couple of Bensons and each family has completely different personalities but I like them both for different reasons.)

I've been watching Tim Benson's Trick or Treat video and I'm amazed at how easy he makes it look to trick the Deep  Space. I'm learning the inputs for the tricks he's teaching but it takes time to get to the "a-ha!" moment. So get the kite you think looks nicer because at the earliest stage in learning, it's developing pilot skill more than the kite's trickiness. (Although kite trickiness DOES help.)

I, personally, prefer the sail layout of the Silver Fox but since I like my Widow Maker so much I wonder if the Widow would be more my choice if it flies like the WM.

Bob D.
WinterDaze

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 06:50 AM »

+1 On what bob said.

95% of the good basic inputs, when learned properly, are pretty much transferable kite to kite.

Now staring at a sail you don't like for hours, now that'll kill you.

Just bought another kite of the same model I've been flying for the last 2 years, and truth be told it was cos I needed a different looking sail, I was sick of looking at the old one... Roll Eyes

Have fun regardless though!

WD

WinterDaze AoF
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change