GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 07:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another newby with questions  (Read 5554 times)
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 08:52 AM »

Now staring at a sail you don't like for hours, now that'll kill you.

That's one of the reasons I like flying the Nirvanas. I LOVE their sail layout - especially when they're backlit by the sun!

Bob D.
shannon23455
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 11:19 AM »

Well i finally made my purchase. Decided to go with the SF 2.3. Hopefully i can put it to good use. Thanks for the advice everyone
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 04:45 AM »

Good Choice   ..  Cheesy  good price , good looks , good tricks ...  Cheesy   Cheesy
Ccentino
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 12:14 AM »

I'll speak for the SF2.5, it is rather slow and i would recommend the 2.3 it does better in the lower wind ranges..

-CHester Centino, Honolulu, Hawaii
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 08:43 AM »

Shannon, The SF 2.3 will work well for your trick schooling. It's a good kite for leaning tricks, it's not too fast and really has a lot of tricks in it's bag.

Now go fly and Have Fun Grin

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
greenbulletblues

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 11:13 AM »

Nice thread.  In a few months I was going to ask the same question, but now I have the answer.  So now my question is:  How do I convince the wife that I need to buy another kite?  I tried pouting, she said I looked stupid.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 11:28 AM »

Ah the wife problem, you can either buy more kites, not tell her, and have them sent to work. the key to this is have them in similar colors " No honey that is the same kite, you have seen it before"
Or get her to fly too!
Or you drag her along at some point and stand there not flying, "Why arent you flying?"  " this kite won't fly in this wind i need a another kite for this kind of wind"
Or " honey, look at this kite, isnt it pretty? wish i could get that"
 Cheesy

Sine Metu!
greenbulletblues

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 11:29 AM »

While I think up ideas to persuade my wife on the new kite, I looked at the SilverFox 2.3 and saw standard, UL and vented.  Which of the three were y'all recommending.
greenbulletblues

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 11:34 AM »

I have tried to get her fly.  Once I told her to hold the lines for a second while I lit a cig. That lasted about 3 seconds.  The other time I had crashed and asked her to hold the lines while I righted the kite.  When I got to the kite I told her try flying it, I didn't think the scar on top of my head were the kite hit me was ever going to go away.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 11:41 AM »

A nice dinner, drinks & dancing or a movie costs as much as that kite will and the kite will last for years rather then a few hours. Dunno the best way to point that out, but this really is an inexpensive hobby even when you move into "boutique" kites, it just seems expensive when we recall the 25 cent kites of our youth.

I got a lot of raised eyebrows when I purchased my first "Nice" kite, $100 !!!! for a kite and lines? Until I pointed out the cost of racing motorcycles in comparison, $2-3k to get in the door & $100 a week for gas, maintenance and entry fee's.

Checked the cost of green fee's lately, or how about a bowling ball and shoes?

You're outside, healthy and enjoying yourself, shaking off the stresses of life, what's that not worth?

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
shannon23455

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2010, 09:50 AM »

Just use xmas as an excuse. Tell her it's your present and thats what you want.
greenbulletblues

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 11:31 AM »

I looked at the SilverFox 2.3 and saw standard, UL and vented.  Which of the three were you guys recommending.

I'm reposting this question.  Perhaps it got overlooked.
sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 11:37 AM »

The wind ranges of the Standard & UL Silver Fox 2.3 overlap considerably. I have both and prefer the UL for my typical flying conditions.

The UL is more of a "Lite" than ultralight. It shaves a few mph of wind off the Standard's and tops out a bit sooner in higher winds, but it flies very well in light to moderate breezes.

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 10:08 PM »

I have a std in both the 2.3 and the 2.5 ..... during most of the wind here I can fly either easily...... if not I currently go to the Zephyr (or just start there)

the 2.5 is considerably slower than the 2.3 at least it seems to me to be..... I don't fly them as often as I probably should... I am bound and determined to try and connect with some other kites....

shannon23455

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2010, 09:58 PM »

Well I finally got out to fly my new kite today. What a difference to the kite i was use to. I had one problem though. About 10mins into flying, mid air i heard a pop. Landed it back on the ground and seen the bottom spreader had split at the ferrule. Is this a common problem or something i may have caused due to bad setup?  If it is a common problem is there an upgrade i can get for it? Also it was very noisy through the air, is this just because i didn't have enough tension on the leach line?

thanks Shannon
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 10:01 PM by shannon23455 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document