GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 08:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RollBars vs Yo-Yo stops ...  (Read 1997 times)
Ang3lFir3
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 18, 2010, 07:35 PM »

So I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of Rollbars vs Yo-Yo stop were. I have seen a lot of newer kite designs leaning toward Rollbars and was wondering if this was more of a trend or based on some overall experience amongst flyers? Is it just personal preference? does it really matter?

What are people's opinions and experiences with each....

thanks
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 12:48 AM »

Roll bars don't snag, are almost impossible to miss and make multiple roll-ups easy.
Someone will no doubt call them trainer wheels but why? they work well.

OTOH I've got no problem with yo-yo stops or yo-yo lines either its all good, just different ways of achieving the same end.

misterbleepy

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 01:46 AM »

A roll-bar equipped kite has an extra handy characteristic - when the kite is on it's back on the ground, you can let it rock backwards so the nose comes off the ground, and then launch it in a fade with a gentle pull.

Keith B...   ...leep     bleep     bleep
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 06:47 AM »

Yep, the fade launch is a very cool attribute of roll bars. I don't roll up often myself and normally hit the yo yo stops ok when I do so the other advantages haven't really manifested themselves, maybe if I was quicker and didn't have to spend so much time setting up they would prove themselves more usefull. I do snag lines on yo yo stops though but I doubt a line over a roll bar would release easier.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 07:03 AM »

Roll bars don't snag, are almost impossible to miss and make multiple roll-ups easy.
Someone will no doubt call them trainer wheels but why? they work well
A roll-bar equipped kite has an extra handy characteristic - when the kite is on it's back on the ground, you can let it rock backwards so the nose comes off the ground, and then launch it in a fade with a gentle pull.
Also , it does not hamper flight or tricks. Since i started using roll bars , i am getting rollups most of the time.   Cheesy
Victrinia Ridgeway

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 07:44 AM »

Since I have no doubt Eric will one day want to compete... Would rollbars be frowned upon in that kind of situation? Or does it just, as was said, make for good training until that point....

V

Flying the edge of the window and lovin' it...
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 11:25 AM »

I've only ever flown a few kites with them - and they definitely do work to easily catch the lines, particularly with a fast moving kite, but I don't think that they are really necessary (the yoyo is pretty easy once you get the hang of it).  The only downside I suppose would be perhaps extra weight, but they seem pretty light (except for the french connection I once tried).

Much of competition flying (aside from hot tricks) does not involve multi-yoyos.  Not that you can't do them in your routine, I just haven't seen it.  I would imagine that with the right music and timing, it could be pretty impressive.  To be able to do it that reliably well however, you probably don't need rollbars.

That said, everyone that I know who use them, love rollbars.

-Tom

6 kite tom
bud g

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 04:38 PM »

RollBars ? could someone post pic. never seen any.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 04:47 PM »

http://www.bensonkites.com/kites/deepspace.html

Allen, AKA kitehead
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 05:05 PM »

Here is a video regarding a kite using Yo Rings ...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

transfer XTZ

Smiley Wink Smiley
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:10 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 06:45 PM »

Most of the kites that i fly regularly (mantis and SF) have yo-yo stoppers on them. I haven't yet flown any that have rollbars so its good to know that for the most part there is little difference. I can see how they would make multi-yoyos really easy and that might be fun. But as others have said I don't usually have trouble hitting the stoppers.

I hadn't thought too much about the advantages they offer for kites on the ground but that is a really good point.

Thanks for all the input so far.... I wasn't sure if it was a feature I should be looking for in potential new kites or if it was something that kinda would just be "another way".

Thanks!
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 06:49 PM »

@cids - the yo-rings look kewl ... I love watching the french flyers (i assume the pilot was french) .... the vids however seem a little over produced with more "wiz-bang" than clear flying shots.... lol can you talk to them about that Smiley ... thanks again!!
sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 07:05 PM »

Another issue is that rolling your lines around the sail can cause the sail to bunch up, due to the wrapping. Roll bars counteract the "squashing" action to a certain extent.

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 09:30 PM »

The only occaissional downside to roll bars that I've come across is that the lines will sometimes hit the bars during tricks with spin components due to pilot error, but that's a matter of technique.
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 09:59 PM »

The only occaissional downside to roll bars that I've come across is that the lines will sometimes hit the bars during tricks with spin components due to pilot error, but that's a matter of technique.

So that could be considered a plus.... as they might teach you to be cleaner with your spins :p ... nice...

I think I would like to try them sometime... has anyone tried retro fitting them to a kite not initially designed for them?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography