GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 09:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Booooing goes the upper spreader...in comes the bamboo one  (Read 1322 times)
Scott Blake
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 19, 2010, 05:50 AM »

Hi all,

Finally got some wind, the first in a couple weeks.  Dutifully got out my Micron and got to work.  A couple inadvertent landings later, I notice the kite is a bit more floppy than usual after resetting the lower spreader.  Thats when I see the problem...no upper spreader.  This is the first time it came completely out - normally it hangs on one side or the other.  It wasn't near the 'landing' site so I can only assume it came out when I yanked on the line to try and get an axel going; popping out somewhere 50 feet up in the air and landing goodness knows where.  30 minutes of searching later, I had to give up.

However, I am down but not defeated.  I go home and shave the ends of a bamboo bbq skewer and voila, an almost good as new Micron!

Check out my impressive (if I do say so myself) construction work...

Unfortunately by the time all this was done the day was over.  I will be ordering some spares of the graphite variety shortly hehe.

And so, there was my kiting day.

edit - and you can see my new addition to the lower one - neon yellow paint on the tips to try and make these dang things easier to see.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:51 AM by Scott Blake » Logged
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 06:31 AM »

Good idea painting the spars so you can find them if they pop out, or a little tape on the ends will help keep them snug and tight in their connectors.
Scott Blake

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 09:57 AM »

The paint alone makes them stick a bit better - it makes them a bit wider and the texture also seems to hold them in a bit better.  I will definitely be doing it with the replacement spreaders.  I was so enjoying the sound of that little thing buzzing through the sky - but with the bamboo trick I should be good to go until the replacement shows up (along with a new 4d and a acrobatx and a spare micron  Smiley).

The good news is we should have some wind for the next few days...a 'super typhoon' is coming our way.  Methinks maybe a bit too much wind hehe.
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 04:06 AM »

we should have some wind for the next few days...a 'super typhoon' is coming our way.  Methinks maybe a bit too much wind hehe.
[/quote]

Good time to study trick tutorials on Randy's blog or Mama74 .............
Old Greebo
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 03:08 PM »

My little mass-produced Yukon also has an upper spreader that could easily fall out if it somehow became detached.
Why isn't the upper spreader anchored with a fitment similar to the one that holds the main spreader in place?
freecheese

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 03:44 PM »

I used to put a bit of tape on my spreaders to help me find them in the grass. I haven't done it for a few years now, and I'm really regretting it. I was distracted by a couple of whales swimming by while I was packing up a kite, I guess I didn't put the upper spreader away properly... Hopefully one of the other regulars found it, because I couldn't spot it the next day.

PS - They say yellow is the most visible colour, but on dry grass, it really doesn't show up at all.
sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 05:04 PM »

holographic stickers work very well- they'll often sparkle enough to be able to spot them, are inexpensive and almost weightless. Almost any dollar store has them.

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
freecheese

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 07:22 PM »

Good idea Steve! Hey, if you happen to spot a spreader down at the point...
Scott Blake

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 03:56 AM »

Well I will get to test out the theory...when the sun comes out.

I went out and flew until after sunset (but still enough light to see the kite);  you gotta fly when you got wind right?

Anyhoo, I 'landed' the kite hard and was able to relaunch it when I could tell something was loose so relanded immediately.  I said, well, its too dark anyway now, I might as well pack up.  So I go up to the kite and....boooooing, the rear spreader is gone.  Of course, its dark and I don't have my Quark flashlight with me so I only give a cursory look around to no avail.  I will see if those yellow tips help next bit of daylight we get (I am assuming rain tomorrow as the typhoon gets closer).

I did get an absolutely stunning 5 minutes of flying in there though (well I was out for about 2.5 hours).  As the sun was setting it was lighting up a pile of clouds in my wind window and made some beautiful orange/red combos - perfect for the orange and red of the kite flying in there as well.  It was awesome; alas I didn't have my little camera/videocam to have got some video of it.

Ah well, wish me luck finding the bottom one; I have ordered a spare from Steve as I am sure even if I don't lose them I might very well break one at some point.

edit - neon yellow tips ftw, found it in about 2 minutes!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 11:35 PM by Scott Blake » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document