GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 08:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laser Pro Gold or Shanti Speed Lines ?  (Read 6383 times)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 09:17 AM »

Is there a place that I can get Shanti Skybond in bulk ?

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 01:04 PM »

Is there a place I can get Climax Protec in bulk?

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 01:35 PM »

Denny

PM me...I can send you a link.

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 03:46 PM »

Denny

Yes, easy to find with your search engine.  It's in the UK and customer service is excellent

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 07:25 PM »

Denny

Cheesy

I was thinking the same thing...

WinterDaze AoF
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 11:15 AM »

Skybond line is brand new from Shanti.  Years ago Shanti did make another type of line and it was also called Skybond - which did use Kevlar.  The new Skybond is not the same line as the older Skybond from years ago.

I have been using the Skybond line for almost a year now and was able to test some of the first prototypes of this line.  It is absolutely awesome and with almost a years worth of use the line is still as slick as it was the first day.

The line comes in some different weights, starting at 100#.  There is not a 90# but the 100# is not only stronger than the standard 90# line, but is also thinner in diameter.  The 175# is the same when compared to normal 150# spectra, thinner in diameter while obviously being stronger.

When talking with Daniel from Shanti, he was excited saying "This new line is some of the most advanced stuff to ever be created for the kite flying market" and "I don't remember the last time I was this excited".  If you haven't had the chance to fly the new Skybond, do yourself a favor and give it a try.  I have seen several die-hard LPG users discard their LPG line in favor of the Skybond.  I is a huge noticeable difference when flying.

I am sure that Steve here at GWTW either has some available or will be able to get you some very easily.

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 12:14 PM »

LPG man, but I am very intrigued by Skybond - I will have to track some down.

I've tried other lines, but LPG has the least amount of "stretch feel" to me.  In smooth wind, the kite should have a rather constant and consistent pull on the lines.  If it feels like it is bouncing around or does not feel consistent, then the line is stretching too much.   

I do wish it were more slippery, however - sometimes the binding sounds like an old iron gate!  Smiley

6 kite tom
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 06:58 PM »

my "pusher" got me hooked on shanti, i would be intrigued to try some skybond. I'm not a fan of the lpg i have tried

Sine Metu!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 07:08 PM »

Do LPG lines 'free' up with use or should I look at moving back to Shanti, what are your thoughts?

They do free up. After a bit, I don't notice them being much less slippery than other lines, but initially they are extra stiff and do bind.

6 kite tom
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 08:25 PM »

From the Shanti site:

"Is Skybond better than Speed line? No.  This is the classic oranges vs. apples question.  Speed line has a “soft-finish.” It is more slippery, has less stretch and wears 3 to 5 times longer than other high-performance lines.  It’s still our favorite.  But for flyers who like coated lines, our new Skybond is as revolutionary as the original was, 31 years ago.  Skybond is made in USA and is available in all the same options as Speed line."

I like 90# Speed line a lot.

The description of Skybond doesn't really give me an idea of how it might be better than Speed. Just different I guess.

Allen, AKA kitehead
DonCrash
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 08:47 PM »

If I had to take a "stab in the dark" at it; my 'guess' would be that the coating would allow the line to last a bit longer on certain conditions. My shanti lines slipperiness went down drastically as dirt minerals started building up in between the braiding from beach sand and loose dirt from the lawn. Cleaning them on soapy water definitely helps however, but there's still a bit in there.

I'd definitely would like to try it out.

Vented L'organic; Vortex; DS (closeted); Quantum (modded to taz); Ocius STD, UL, UL (2pt P90), SUL; Pi (Home made kite)
DWayne

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 09:46 PM »

The Shanti pitch;
"Shanti Skybond line is the latest in innovation for the kite line market.   Developed exclusively for kite flying, this 100% Spectra modulus line sets a new standard that all other lines will be measured up to.   Skybond line is a High-Modulus Polyethylene line that has been Polymer-Bonded and pre stretched for zero stretch or creep while delivering the ultimate in slickness.

Skybond line comes in a high visibility yellow color, making it easier to see in the air and when laying out on the ground.   Skybond's unique weave provides the pilot with a direct connection with your kite, allowing you faster responses, sharper corners and a better overall feel of what your kite is doing while performing the latest in elaborate slack line tricks.

Shanti is the original inventor of Spectra kite line and has been producing the highest quality kite line for over 20 years!   Shanti's unique braiding process allows for a line that has minimal creep or stretch while providing maximum strength.

Shanti Skybond line is proudly made 100% in the U.S.A.

Skybond line comes in several strenghts and is available in pre-made linesets or in bulk spools."
And it costs less than Speed line.

Denny

ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2010, 01:10 AM »

And out of the left field,

I prefere PowerPro Hollow Ace for standard lines, 40-160lbs, bonus, it can be spliced
Berkely Whiplash for the times the line has to be as light and thin as possible, 20-40lbs, that stuff is thinner then my sewing thread.
And Liros DC when i need a line that keeps on holding under high load and is thin, 120+ lbs, it also can be spliced, also good for bridles.

I tried the climax profiline and don't like it much, for me it has to much stretch. It actually feels a bit rubbery
Cylone pro, to thick for the load.
LGP, to thick and not smooth enough,
Shanti Speed, nice line, but can't be spliced, which for me is a negativ.
DWayne

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 07:28 AM »

Upon further investigation, Warp Speed line sets are about 10% more than Sky Bond line sets. In 1000' spools Warp Speed is about 20% less than Sky Bond. I'm sure this makes sense to someone though the logic escapes me.

Denny

Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 08:07 AM »

Upon further investigation, Warp Speed line sets are about 10% more than Sky Bond line sets. In 1000' spools Warp Speed is about 20% less than Sky Bond. I'm sure this makes sense to someone though the logic escapes me.

Cheesy

If you don't have a very big Team and don't need 1000 feet spools Shanti lines  Cheesy, you can buy 300 inches spools in Europe and Shanti lines/meter.  Smiley 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum