GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 11:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to fix uneven lines?  (Read 2152 times)
Strider
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 26, 2010, 08:54 AM »

Just got a chance to fly my Hypnotist, And I noticed the lines were uneven.
Tied a simple 8 knot to shorten the long line, and few minutes later the line torn away.(winds at 17~MPH)
Somehow I managed to Lark'shead it back to the straps, But I dont think it will hold too much.
Thanks.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 09:56 AM »

Quick and dirty way if the difference between the lines isn't too large is to add adjustment knots to the strap leaders:

Otherwise, if you have the time, you can actually shorten one of the lines to match the other.  

The notion of sleeving or not sleeving is a religious debate, pick whichever makes you happier.  Stock Prism linesets aren't sleeved (the spectra is tied to the dacron loop instead of threaded through it) and the procedure for equalizing them can be found in the old Prism guide that Steve has posted to the website:
http://www.gwtwforum.com/pdf/making_a_lineset.pdf

If you prefer to sleeve the line and it helps the cat to sleep easier at night,  the instructions for that method can be found here:
http://www.thegreedybrain.com/StuntKiteTips/sleeve.htm

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 12:03 PM by indigo_wolf » Logged
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 11:48 AM »

If they are not sleeved and cut to shorten, this will move the wear point in the middle of the lines as well... a good thing.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 11:48 AM »

THe stock prism sets do have the spectra threaded through the dacron loop, at least all mine are that way.  The easies way to even out the lines that I like is to take some spare bridle line and make and 8 inch loop.  Attach this to your straps then tie a knot every inch along this loop using the knot that is closet to getting your lines even to attach the flying line to.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 12:03 PM »

Another way similar to above is to tie a single overhand knot at the end of the loop in order to shorten the longer line to match the other - just make it bigger or smaller until they match.

A lineset usually lasts me a bit over 1 year - I use the method above until I am convinced that any stretching is finished and then just re-cut them (as described in the Prism pdf).  After that, they stay dead-on until they are worn out. 

With a marker, knife, lighter, and stake, it only takes a few minutes to recut the lines for a perfect match.

-Tom

6 kite tom
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 12:06 PM »

THe stock prism sets do have the spectra threaded through the dacron loop, at least all mine are that way.

Then that must have changed in the last year or two.  I don't think I have a single Prism lineset where the spectra goes through the core of the dacron. 

ATB,
Sam
Ca Ike

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 06:03 PM »

Yep probably. All my prisms were bought in the last year and are 09 manufacture or later.
Old Greebo
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 04:05 PM »

Indigo Moon's 'Making a lineset' link (above)  is SO useful!
It saved this newbie from totally wasting the 40 pence (plus 6 postage!) he recently spent on some Chinese Dyneema!

Er ...
Firstly, is Dyneema rated OK as a stunt kite line?  The stuff I bought was being sold as fishing line.   But it's braided, and it's 100lb breaking strain (which is apparently OK for a HQ Yukon)
Secondly, was I stupid to buy on ebay from a Chinese website?   The line came on a reel that says "High Quality Maxx Power Pro Braid", and adds "Fishing Line 100% Dyneema".

Advice please ?
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 04:30 PM »

Both are trade names. Both are more or less the same. Both are ultra high molecular weight polyethylene (hence why there are trade names). Spectra us usually the name for it when sold in the US (as it's made in VA) and Dyneema is the name usually found in the UK (as it's made in the Netherlands).

While some people (very few that I know of) use the fishing line type, it's really not the same. Off hand I can't tell you what the difference is but I suspect it's woven in a different manner (Both are solid but usually woven with itself or a tracer thread).

Will it work? Certainly! But I think line that you buy specifically for kites is a little better suited for the task.

Plus, white line is better for flying with as you... and spectators... can see it much more easily.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Old Greebo
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 04:59 PM »

Thanks tcope.   I'll give it a try and see how it goes.  I bought it because I wanted to try the Yukon with 30 or 35 metre lines instead of the 20m lines supplied by HQ.   Well, if they break, or stretch unusually, I'll still have the (mainly white!) lines the kite originally came with!
Ca Ike

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 06:07 PM »

Spider wire, one of the braided fishing line brands, uses a nylon polyester blended fiber that really isn's suited for stunt kiting.  SLK flying it works well but it is made to have some stretch to it.  All the braided line I use on my fishing gear has a mix of spectra strength and mono-filament stretchiness, however it is not very slick.  To give it some slip it is wax coated but without the wax it rivals velcro for stickyness.
DD
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 06:38 PM »

THe stock prism sets do have the spectra threaded through the dacron loop, at least all mine are that way.

Then that must have changed in the last year or two.  I don't think I have a single Prism lineset where the spectra goes through the core of the dacron. 

ATB,
Sam

Most sets i have had to shorten were this way too.
 Do the new prism line sets have a little "tab"(for want a better word) to release the larkshead? Saw a set and was told it was prism's. The set i saw the "tab" seemd awful bulky

kind of the same thing; I have a prism lineset for the micron that are unsleeved( and really freakin thin!), i made the loop on the end very long, i pinched a thumbs width off of the loop and tied an over hand knot making a "tab" to pull the larkshead open and release it.  I picked that up somewhere.
This thin lineset is the only i need to for, works well.

Are you confused by what I'm saying? well it kinda makes the end of the lineset look like snowman
 Cool

Sine Metu!
Ca Ike

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 09:20 PM »

My E3 line set is tabbed and yea its kind of bulky. Some of their 50# and lighter weight line sets aren't sleeved though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography