GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 04:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tech Kites Paper Airplane Kite  (Read 6658 times)
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« on: October 29, 2010, 05:39 AM »

I took one of these guys out for a spin this morning....and was VERY surprised!

Image swiped from NTK website

Designed by Robert Brasington for NT this is a good sized delta kite that is elongated with a 5/6 length keel (forms the bottom of the airplane)....Assembled it is 6' tall and over 5' wide.

It took a bit of coaxing to get it into the air for the first 10-15' (that keel adds a bit of weight to it that wiggles around when launching) but once it got up there it is solid.....there was a couple of gusts/lulls that caused the kite to dance a bit but nothing too drastic, then it would settle right back out again...
It flies at a pretty high angle and can pull like a tank!   This bugger could have easily lifted about 4-5 5' windsocks with ease!
There is no need for a tail -but you can probably put on one there - the trailing edge of the kite billows up nicely and with the long keel it does not wander too much at all....

The version i have is a pre-production Post-it-note version...I think i need to write a note on it to make it look more so.

Overall Robert and NT came out with a good fun kite out of this!

NTK link http://www.newtechkites.com/products.php?product=Paper-Airplane
I am certain you can get Steve to order one if you ask nicely.
Looks to retail under 30$ or so

« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 01:43 PM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 06:41 AM »

Looking forward to a real picture, but I'm guessing yours is just yellow? That was the kite that really piqued my interest when the catalog came out, thanks for the review. The price is definately right for a nice size, fun kite.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 07:44 AM »

I'm really looking forward to us being able to get these out there. One of the challenges wroking with a designer from Tasmania and a factory in China is that details can get changed. The frame on the first run were fiberglass and Robert spec Carbon . The carbon will expand the wind range, improve the appearance in flight and unfortuntely raise the price. I'm still waiting on the new cost from the factory but I'm confident that for the size and performance it will still be an attactive purchase. Patience my friends.
 Rob

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 02:56 PM »

you can now get them from Steve!
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=4431.new#new

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 07:47 PM »

Oh good.

I want one of these. Smiley
skyguy48
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 04:57 PM »

I got one of these as a Christmas present. So naturally, even though it was about 25 degrees today, I took it for a test fly. I can vouch for the unexpected amound of pull. I agree it should handle some laundry.... if you can get it to fly.

Wind speed was around 8-10mph. It launched easily right out of my hand, but then flew wildly left and right. My first thought was ok, it's an "active kite", but the travel got worse and worse until it crashed. (Softly cause I ran toward it). 
I let out about 75 - 80 feet of line hoping some altitude would help. It didn't seem to make any difference. I managed to get it fly for a couple of minutes, but then it just wanted to lawn dart.
There is just a single tow point for this kite, so no bridle adjustment seems possible.

Pretty sure it was assembled right, what else could I be doing wrong.
In other words, how can I get this thing to fly?
It sounds like there are others out there that have had a great experience.
Any thoughts?
TIA
Bill

Just Fly It!
Ccentino
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 10:54 PM »

put a tail...preferably made out of folder paper. laminate it too!

-CHester Centino, Honolulu, Hawaii
tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 12:09 AM »

Mine flew great, real steady even in gusty winds. See here:
Paper Airplane Kite

Maybe the tow point is too high on yours, factory goof? Make a pigtail and attach to bridle with prussic knot so you can move the tow point down and see what happens Smiley
skyguy48

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 04:04 AM »

"Maybe the tow point is too high on yours, factory goof? Make a pigtail and attach to bridle with prussic knot so you can move the tow point down and see what happens"

Not sure I understand what you mean by this.
The factory tow point is tied to a rod in the keel, and is encased in a sleeve. There seems to be no way to adjust or raise or lower it.
Are you thinking to add a new tow point requiring the sleeve to be pierced for a new pigtail?

Would like to avoid a tail if possible, but will add one if needed. Maybe make one that looks like a pencil.  Cheesy

Just Fly It!
rncembal

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 08:09 AM »

First I would check that all rods are fully in place.  Check fit inside. 26 degrees may have made the LE connectors  stiff and the spreader was not fully seated which would make the kite to tight across the back. We add wind ranges but not temp or humidity ranges both of which will have an effect.
IF you are still not happy sent it to us at NTK and we will send a replacement.
 Rob

skyguy48

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 09:53 AM »

First I would check that all rods are fully in place.  Check fit inside. 26 degrees may have made the LE connectors  stiff and the spreader was not fully seated which would make the kite to tight across the back. We add wind ranges but not temp or humidity ranges both of which will have an effect.
IF you are still not happy sent it to us at NTK and we will send a replacement.
 Rob

Sounds good,
I'm going to do a thorough check on the next flight. What you describe also crossed my mind. (DUH!)
That will probably straighten things out, but if not, I'll let you know.
The first part of this week does'nt look good weather wise, but hope to get a chance late in the week.
Will report back to let you know my previous screw up.  Roll Eyes Cheesy

Just Fly It!
kiteguy
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 11:33 PM »

Got mine for a Christmas present.  Weather finally cooperated enough, I thought, that I was able to go out Wednesday, Dec. 29.  Did a powerful power dive.  the main spar punched out the rear pocket.

Stupid to try it, the winds were just to wild.   Embarrassed   Angry

On the bright side, now I can put on a stronger pocket!   Grin
tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 02:54 PM »

Spreader over spine is correct. Kite looks bent because leading edge spars don't go all the way to the nose which seems to be typical for delta kites with a keel which this kite is a variation of. Maybe someone can explain why this is so Smiley
rncembal

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 08:08 AM »

The spars do not go all the way up because that would create to stiff and flat a surface so the kite would slide and oscillate more. When you look at this kite in flight you will see a bow from tip to tail as well as channels in each side surface.
. If you have a six foot delta with out limited sleeves test it out with full edge spars  and see how it flys.
Rob

cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 08:19 PM »

Loving it.....

CV

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum