GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 04:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Peter Powell Kite resurrection?  (Read 5311 times)
Chooks
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 03, 2009, 07:47 PM »

Hi, I found this photo of a Peter Powell Stunt Kite and from memory this looks like a kite that I bought in 1976 or 78. I still have the white fiberglass frame but the blue plastic sail and bridles are long gone. For old time sake I would like to make a ripstop sail and get it back into the air. Could anyone help with the sail dimensions and the measurements/positions for the bridals. Both of the plastic tube attachments for the spreader are still in place on the leading edges but the nose, tail (I seem to remember it had a bit of plastic tube across the bottom of the spine) and spreader to centre spine attachment are missing.
    The spine measures 48" long     1/4" white fiberglass tube
    2 leading edges 28 1/2" long     1/4" white fiberglass tube
    Spreader measures 29 1/2" long and is 1/4" solid fiberglass
Any information would be gratefully received.   Cheers Chook

attachments older than 120 days removed to save space
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 08:09 PM »

Well since I have 12 I suppose I could assist some. I will take some measurements and pictures tomorrow

Here is recent flight

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Chooks

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 08:40 PM »

Hey that was quick. You are a legend.
Keep smilin' Chook
Chooks

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 02:07 AM »

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vientocero.com%2Fkpb%2Fplanos%2Fcervo%2Fcervo.html&lp=fr_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

Hi kiteking, a mate flicked this through to me. Do the measurements add up?
The cross brace I have is one piece. How does it attach to the spine and does it go on the back or front of the sail.
Cheers Chook
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 01:00 PM »

Back of the sail and I don't believe there is any attachment to the spine allowing the kite to form a nice dihedral.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kiteking

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 06:03 PM »

Here is what I came up with on the sail

Peter Powell was making these with plastic tubing and Strapping tape. All the kites had the same pigtails attached on the leading edge and the lower spine, one forward, one rearward. Train lines were attached to them / or for the lead kite the bridle was attached to the front set.

the strapping tape was used to secure the pigtails and the tubing. The spreader connection tubing has a brass washer on the bottom then the tape to keep it in place. The tube on the lower spine points up and to the front this is where the tails attach

The top leading edge has a 2.25 inch fold over on each side, the cutouts are 2" on the LE and 1.5" in the spine area

There is a .25" hem around the perimeter of the sail, the bottom has a 3"x2" extension that a piece of tubing was taped and rolled up for the bottom of the spine to be inserted.

the bridle has loops on each end and another short .5" loop at the fly line attach point, the finished bridle is 114" in length with the knot (of the top leg) at 56.5 inches

hope this helps

let me know if anything needs more detail

Pictures:

MikeM
Tucson, AZ
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 06:04 PM by kiteking » Logged

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Chooks

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 01:06 AM »

Wow all the info I need to keep me busy. Maybe an easter project.
Thanks for the close up photos they are first class to illustrate what is required.

Thanks again guys and have one for me over easter.

Cheers from Auzzie.
Chooks

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 05:22 AM »

Hi. Thanks kiteking and mikenchico for the info.

I finally got it together this weekend. The sailcloth I bought didn't want to sew on my wife's machine and I didn't want to adjust the bobbin tension with her watching. I'm just not that brave.
   I went for a black plastic membrane that is used under cement floors. It heat sealed well with the soldering iron. I used 2 layers of grease proof paper on top of the plastic to protect it . The white is self adhesive vinyl.
When it was completed the wind fizzled out completely so no test flight yet. No doubt it will be a breeze free week now.
   This should help to relive my childhood and see if it flies as well as I remember. I will work on the sailcloth some more when I get more time during our approaching winter.
All the very best,

Chook

[attachment deleted by admin]
kiteking

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 04:43 PM »

Hey Chook,

Looks good, is that your picture on the front?

Hope you get a chance to test fly soon,

Have fun

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography