GWTW Forum
September 16, 2014, 12:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What camera will do the jon  (Read 4918 times)
Imafloater
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: November 03, 2010, 07:27 PM »

I am buying a digital  camera.  Right now I'm looking at the Cannon T1I, cause somebody said so.  Obviously I want to be able to take pictures of kites in flight.  Do I really need 15 MP or will something around 10-12  work?  Do I need DSLR or will point and shoot do it?  Somebody out there knows and I will be forever gratfulfor help with this.  Maybe I'll jsut give up and go fly!
WinterDaze

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 08:32 PM »

2 things to think about...

1... What are you going to do with the shots? For prints up to 8x10/12" and screen viewing then 10-12MP should be fine, more for bigger after that...

2... Lugability (new word, made by me  Wink): Will you carry a camera of (x) size where you would like to use it? No use having a great quality camera if it's left at home more often than not.

And remember a good case, extra batteries and memory should also be considered in budgeting for it.

WinterDaze AoF
cbs2010
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 09:35 PM »

I'm a pro photographer and I would have to agree with portability being important. Simply ya can't take pics if the camera isn't present. Today's point and shoots are exceptional especially for outdoor full daylight shots which would be our say to day kite flying circumstances.

Panasonic Lumix tz5/7 are fantastic and one of the only two point and shoot cameras that have a true non interpolated zoom during movie mode.  Canon has some great PS too like their g11 but the movie mode is not as good as Panasonics if that is important.

For the most part all point and shoots  will give you adequate still images. Look at the zoom range if it is what you need as well as how fast the lens is.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 10:19 PM »

I turned away from from SLR's when I went digital in favor of a single lens with a wide zoom ratio. The picture quality isn't as good but I no longer sell photo's and just take them for my own pleasure and memories, anymore they are mostly only viewed on a computer screen too. 10 mp is more then enough for these purposes, 6 was fine.

My Canon SX10 is suiting me fine but a couple years discontinued now. it's replacement the SX20 might be being upgraded for this holiday season since I saw an amazing closeout deal on one last week. The newer models do full high def video with stereo sound. This is still a large camera though.

I was looking at Bob (MtFlyer) new cam in August, I don't recall what is was but it had a big zoom in a pocket-able size, very impressive, but I'm old school and insist on an optical viewfinder, you can't hold a camera steady at arms length or properly frame a shot with the sun reflecting off the review screen IMO.

For any action photography you need fast shutter response and this is where the SLR's shine and others fall short. Read reviews and test them in store before you buy. How fast do they focus and grab the shot, some have a lag time of over a second, I guarantee half your shots will be of empty sky or green grass on the ball field, the subject having left the frame long before the camera took the picture.

If you choose to go with a single lens camera for kite photography and most sports photography a big OPTICAL zoom is nice, look for something with a wide range from a good wide angle of 24 - 28 and as much zoom as you can afford or get in the size you decide on, 5x, 8x, 10x, 20x. Ignore the digital part of the zoom rating as unusable, it degrades picture quality and is there just for those times you need it to get a shot you otherwise couldn't get.

Some models are coming with a High Dynamic Range feature and the software to do the work, sort of gimmicky but it can work wonders in high contrast situations where a normal exposure may loose detail in dark and/or bright areas. They auto bracket by shooting 3-5 shots in fast succession from under exposed through over exposed then combine them to bring out the detail and colors in every area. Shooting kites in the sky is problematic for many exposure systems, having auto bracketing can be a big help.

I'm loving digital, we've taken 1500 - 2000 shots and more on a weeks vacation, you can't afford to do that with film. Memory is cheap, batteries recharge 100's of times. Take 10-20-30 shots of everything that catches your eye, bracket your shots, change your angle, review them on your computer later and delete the 49 that didn't come out, they cost you nothing. If you get something that uses standard batteries (my preference) get a fast charger with an auto adapter so you can charge in your car on those days you grab the camera and haven't remembered to charge your batteries. Mine will charge 4 AA's in 15 minutes, saved the day on more then a few occasions.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
cbs2010

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 11:19 PM »

Hdr for kites or anything moving is questionable at best as the registration will be off. Having a camera that can shoot in RAW mode will allow more lattitude with exposure.

An optical viewfinder can be very helpful for stability and for ease of visibility in bright or dark situations.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 12:04 AM »

Take this self survey, find the best fit camera for you.

http://www.myproductadvisor.com/mpa/camera_/inputSummary.do

Or just go to Dave's Picks and select the category, like "Enthusiast SLR" for example. Then read the mini-reviews and see what you like and don't like for each.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 12:12 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
cbs2010

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 04:06 AM »

www.dpreview.com

Pretty much the most in depth camera review / forum.
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 05:24 AM »

My Canon SX10 is suiting me fine but a couple years ...

I have an SX10 for a couple years also.  Nice compromise in "lugabillity" and nice pictures at a pretty good price.  I would give it 5 stars.  I upgraded from a previous model 3IS for the longer zoom.  My only disappointment - not fast enough to take full sports actions shots, especially in less than full sun light. A kite making a pass across the window at full speed has some blur as does my son running down the basketball court.  I think for a couple thousands bucks Canon has a model to address that - but that's a couple thousand I could spend on kites....

I don't think you would be disappointed in the newer SX20
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 04:39 AM by onlye » Logged

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 06:34 AM »

Hdr for kites or anything moving is questionable at best as the registration will be off. Having a camera that can shoot in RAW mode will allow more lattitude with exposure.

An optical viewfinder can be very helpful for stability and for ease of visibility in bright or dark situations.

I agree completely with that statement and I didn't explain that, the advantage is having access to those bracketed shots under backlit conditions when we are talking about action shots. Bright but cloudy or foggy skys are a nearly impossible situation for many automatic exposure systems, unless your willing to go into manual mode or have the ability to stop up or down a few levels easily (higher end point & shoot cams do) then your shots are often not very satisfactory.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Imafloater

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 03:10 PM »

Wow guys thanks for all the information! Somehow I knew GWTW forum was the place to post this question.  Any more info is apreciated, I'll be reading all the advise and will have to post pcitures.  Looks like I have some work to do (after flying).  THANKS!!!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 03:26 PM »

I used to have a Canon S10is. Really good kite camera. Pretty good video too. The newer version is top of my with list.

Here's a video from KP6
Kite Party 6 - Various Flyers & Kites

Original looks a lot better, I think I didn't know what I was doing when I put in on Youtube...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 03:30 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 07:20 PM »

Here's a video from KP6

Damn good video mix & music you put together there Allen!  Wink
Windbag

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 11:09 PM »

Imafloater, many good suggestions on here. I've tried several digital cameras but the Canon SX20IS is the best I've found in a point & shoot.

20x wide angle optical zoom
12 megapixel resolution. I've never printed out more than a 4"x6" pix so I usually keep most of my pix at 700 KB in size on my laptop
Image stabilizer so movies are less shaky
Big LCD that pivots to minimize glare so you can see what you're
 shooting  -- but when the glare is too bad switch to the optical view finder & see exactly what you're shooting
Movies are 720P HD. Manual focus works while shooting a movie in auto so the camera isn't going in & out of focus trying to pick your kite out against the clouds
Uses AA batteries so just swap in spares & keep shooting
Inexpensive SD memory cards
I should quit here before it sounds like I'm a salesman for Canon. Smiley  It's just a very nice camera for kite flying. Yes, it won't fit in my pocket, it hangs around my neck on a strap or sits on my tripod while I fly.

Have fun & let us know what you buy, Ray.

Have fun,

Ray
photomom
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 04:18 AM »

I have a digital Canon 5D, a Canon Rebel T1i, and a Canon Powershot S5IS.  I've used the T1i and the S5IS for kite photos  and have found the S5IS to be the easiest to use.  This is an older Powershot with only 8 megapixels and a 12X zoom.   I'm sure the newer ones with more magnification will do even better.  I've not tried the video as I usually have a kite in one hand and the camera in the other.  I use the Rebel when I'm at festivals or just not flying.  But I usually end up with the Powershot in my hand even then.

So there's my two cents worth.

kjm

kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 03:23 PM »

Haven't looked at the current line of cameras, but one thing that frustrated me when I switched to digital was shutter lag... I opted for the Canon 20d because not only is there zero shutter lag, but it will burst 20 to 30 frames quickly, assuring I get the action shot or the subject with the correct expression.

My other grip with the smaller cameras is the lack of a viewfinder, if you are outside in bright sun, you may not be able to see the screen to compose the picture, also using the LCD screen greatly reduces battery time. I have a Canon SD1100is that suits my portable needs

Those are my thoughts

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document