GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 01:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What camera will do the jon  (Read 5153 times)
Victrinia Ridgeway
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 10:50 PM »

P&S and DSLR are apples and oranges... it's all fruit... but not the same experiance of course. I keep a P&S handy even when I have my professional gear... it's lighter...lol

But the gent already went into the world of DSLR and I would hate for him to wonder why he wasn't getting the results he might expect when using something sophisticated. I went from being a very good shutterbug on a P&S to an idiot in the course of 1 day when I got my DSLR. You are completely limited by what you attach to your body... and the knowledge of how to use it. Of course there are Program modes that compensate for your lack of experiance at first... but like flying... great results only come from practice and having the right gear for the moment. With his DSLR he won't get the effect of digital zoom "enhancements", he would with a P&S. So my main concern was making sure he understands the wide angle lens he has is not going to get him the tight and crisp shots he might hope for. Not unless he's only a few feet from the kite.

Personally I'm all intrigued by the camera on the helmet idea... but I think it would be a bit jerky... sometimes you just have to put up with having a videographer or photographer with you... for Tom... I'd always be delighted to be his helping hand in any way I could. Smiley

V

Flying the edge of the window and lovin' it...
cbs2010

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010, 11:07 AM »

You don't need a fast expensive 2.8 lens to take pictures of things in the sky.  There is more than enough light on a sunny day to freeze subject matter.

F11 @ 1/250 @ 100 is a general average for daylight.   So even using a cheaper 400$ zoom with a f4 aperture your shutter will be at 1/1000.
Imafloater
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2010, 02:49 PM »

Seems like I really started something.  I'm sure if I got a $4000 DSLR with a couple grand in lenses I'd have much better picures (I'd better!).  But that would leave no money for kites, I'd be taking pictures of an empty sky - back to the P&S.  I may actually try the helmet cam thing - sounds like it might at least make a good story.  Would a baseball cap work better since it's made with a shelf for the camera?  Though come to think of it I'm not sure anyone is "cool" enough to pull off a DSLR and wide angle telephoto duct taped to a bike helmet.  Back to P&S.  Still planning to post pictures for later discussion.
Old Greebo
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2010, 02:51 PM »

Thanks to you all - particularly Victrinia (gorgeous name, dare I mention?) - for your comments on my wanting-to-be-helpful-but-possibly-misguidedly-so  posting a few days ago.

The main reasons why I'm taking this first foray into the DSLR zone are:
[1] I've never done SLR before, but it's something I've always wanted to investigate,
[2] I'm retired, on an income that covers my expenditure with more than a little bit to spare,
[3] I used to do archery before I re-discovered kites, and selling off my archery kit on eBay has given me a little bit of a windfall!

The Pentax K-x  seems to me to be a good, entry-level DSLR.  The 4.7 frames per second continuous shooting was what particularly attracted me to it, and it was my main reason for suggesting it here as a good camera for shooting pics of kites in flight.  It also does HD video, so I thought that would be a plus for kite enthusiasts.
Fair enough, the 18-55 lens that comes with the standard kit is sure to be somewhat limiting, but it'll keep me happy for the next month or so while I try my hand with it, learn what it will do and what it won't do, stuff like that.  I've already got my eyes on a 70-300 lens for it, but Christmas is coming and I might be able to drop some hints here and there among my daughters and granddaughters!

<<I keep a P&S handy even when I have my professional gear... it's lighter...lol>>
Yes, Victrinia, and I'm still keeping my Finepix S8500 for the same reason.  And on the occasions when even that little bit of kit has been left at home, I've still got a mobile phone (aka freecell) for emergencies!
cbs2010

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2010, 02:59 PM »

Having a pure sable brush over a synthetic nylon one doesn't necessarily  make one a better artist.
Old Greebo
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2010, 03:02 PM »

No, but it lets one feel like a better artist!
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2010, 05:13 PM »

No, but it lets one feel like a better artist!

Lol,

My First Pro camera was purchased when I was a tender 21 years of age, it was a M6 with a 50mm Summicron. I knew I hadn't earned 'the right' to use such a tool (and 20 years later I'm still using them).

So, to this day I still strive to improve my photography so that one day I may feel inside that I have done them justice, if but once.

(It's been a terrific motivator Wink)

My day to day rides are pro Digi SLR's, but I just picked up a Lumix LX-5, I've taken some shots recently on it that I wouldn't have got on my big stuff, just due to it's size.

Get what you can and go out and use it, if you run into a problem think outside the square and see what happens...

Just remember, it's supposed to be fun Smiley

WinterDaze AoF
Victrinia Ridgeway

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2010, 06:58 PM »

I watch the guys who run over to the kite shops on the shore hurry out to the beach wanting to tear up the sky with their 15 dollar dual line kite. They crash and burn... often break... and I see the frustration mount with every minute they can't get the thing into the air no matter what the wind. I offer them to fly a better designed and more capable kite, because I don't want that spark of interest to die.

In another part of my life I'm a bonsai artist... and I watch new learners look at their $30 mallsai and wonder why it doesn't look like the trees they see in the books... but heck... they are certain if they water it once a week as it sits on top of their TVs that it will one day magically turn itself into a work of art. Which of course then dies a slow and agonizing death... or at least it seems to, because in truth it was likely dead when they bought it at Home Depot.  Tongue I educate them on what to start with to get to the level of success they want to achieve in the art. I train them on my trees... so they can know how to develop them... nurturing their interest and exciting their imagination with the possibilities is near and dear to my heart.

With cameras... when you go down the road of investing in gear... and yes... it can take thousands to put it together, and years of patiently saving one's ducats to do so. Having the best glass you can afford is the best way to approach it.
To point out the obvious (that one can't get a tight shot of a kite at any distance with a wide angle lens - light or no light) isn't advocating for photo elitism... but rather an attempt to make sure the shooter is aware of what is required to accomplish the end I would most expect him to want... taking shots of kites in motion. Plus with the lower f stops you get bokeh... which sets apart a nice shot from a great one as often as not. Because the depth of the photo usually generates a stronger reaction in the viewer because the subject is not cluttered by the noise of its enviornment.

To those who shoot... this is preaching to the chior... to those getting into it... it's the thing to aspire to... knowing how to approach your subject with skill and vision to allow the viewer to be as captivated by the subject as you were in that moment.

In the end it is about getting equipped to the best of one's ability and intentions. If you are happy getting perfectly acceptible and nice shots on a P&S... there isn't a thing in the world wrong with that... if you are intrigued by the medium and opportunities in photography, then it would be a disservice to OG not to make sure he understands what to expect. Allowing any one who wishes to learn a hobby or art to labor in ignorance is unacceptible for me. Having knowledge engenders an obligation to share it... a quality which I have found is VERY firmly rooted in the kiting community, much to my deep appreciation, because I have rarely met people so generous and kind with their knowledge and time.

I had no business handling a DSLR and the gear I acquired when I started... it was laughable. I have all those early photos to keep me humble... lol But once I got to know the gear and started learning the nuance of the art... the things I was trying to express were finally able to come out. The learning curve is considerable... the commitment in time and finances also considerable... the rewards... priceless.  Grin (lol now I feel like a Visa commercial...  Cool)

Of course... I will say that there are LOTS of great lenses in the world which don't have to cost an arm and a leg... and buying them used is often a great way to score a deal... just make sure you are cautious, and you'll likely be fine. So you don't have to give up kites to have the gear you need.  Grin

I'm no long in the tooth professional. But I am devoted to pursuing excellence because it's worth the pursuit. Smiley I'm caught with envy every day at the things people capture... but it only inspires me to keep at it... and to share my love of it. Passion has a way of being infectious... not that any of us would know a THING about that.  Roll Eyes

Warmest regards,

V

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 07:17 PM by Victrinia Ridgeway » Logged

Victrinia Ridgeway

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2010, 07:11 PM »

<<I keep a P&S handy even when I have my professional gear... it's lighter...lol>>
Yes, Victrinia, and I'm still keeping my Finepix S8500 for the same reason.  And on the occasions when even that little bit of kit has been left at home, I've still got a mobile phone (aka freecell) for emergencies!

I was just on vacation last week... and seeing as how I was taking a vacation, I decided to set aside everything which constitutes work in my life. So all of my gear - even my lil P&S was left at home. All I had was my phone, which was ok - but only for me... it wasn't something I'd share. It was both bizarre and liberating. Sometimes in the desire to capture the essence of a moment... you miss savoring it. There are many times I know I could dash to grab gear and capture something beautiful... but I nail my feet to the floor and simply decide to observe. Those moments are both conflicting and precious as well, but it makes one appreciate it all the more. As you go forward... don't forget to just enjoy the moments as well from time to time. Smiley

As was said earlier by the wise WinterDaze... this is supposed to be fun. Smiley

V

PS. Thank you for the compliment... if I ever run into you on a field, I'll be sure to tell you the story behind it, it's a laugh.

Victrinia Ridgeway

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2010, 07:23 PM »

lol... looking back at my long winded post I just realized I dated myself to the era when people could still put stuff on their TVs...lol  Huh

Of course that seems like ages ago... but I guess it really wasn't... technology is amazing.  Wink

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change