GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 01:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guitar advice please  (Read 881 times)
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« on: April 04, 2009, 03:03 AM »

I can get my hand on a 1979 Peavey t-60 in very good shape with the orig. case for $200.00....I read it is a heavy but realy good axe way ahead of his time. Any comments? Should I take some kite $ and grab it? Embarrassed

The new Frank!
mcruzzer
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 07:40 PM »

Price seems reasonable if it is indeed in great condition.

As to whether or not you should buy it...it depends on whether or not this guitar has the sound/feel/look that you want.  Not sure what constitutes "heavy"...I have one Les Paul that weighs close to 20lbs, and a swamp ash strat custom that weighs about 6.  If you're looking for a real lightweight guitar, you either need to look at something else or contact Chip Todd (The original designer) and look into some of his mods for the T-60 (one of which is to signigficantly lighten the guitar while also improving it's sound and sustain).

Jim
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 02:23 AM »

My problem is that I can't try it before getting it shipped...As far as the weight is concern it is not a reažl issue. Lots of people consider this guitar as a collector item.?

The new Frank!
mcruzzer
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 04:10 AM »

Well, as said before, the price appears reasonable for a T-60 in good-excellent condition. 

A collector's item?  Not in the classic sense of the term...certainly not a collector's item such as a '57 Les Paul or Stratocaster.  Those who like the sound of the guitar tend to keep it around, or sell it simply because they want something else.

It was ahead of its time in many ways...manufacturing, the way the pickups were/are controlled, etc.  It does have it's own sound...not exactly like a Les Paul but not exactly like a Strat either.

As said before, whether or not you'll like it won't be known until you play it.  But, it looks like the price is good and if you don't like it you can probably get what you paid for it if you sell it. 

So, I'd say if you're interested, buy it, try it...if you don't like it, sell it (you should get your money back).  If you like it, you found a nice guitar at a good price.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography