GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 02:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: replace my broken FW Insync lower leading edge  (Read 787 times)
dihongshao2000
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: November 03, 2010, 08:29 PM »

The spec indicates the frame/leading edge as 6mm carbon tube.  6mm is 0.236" while there are only 0.230" and 0.240" carbon tubes avaiable.  Which one should I use?  In addition, the portion of the tube near the leading edge ferrule is plugged with reinforcing.  What should I use for reinforcing?  Another solid carbon inside?  If so, what should be the diameter of the reinforcing rod and how long?
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 03:15 AM »

I'm not sure where you are, but 6mm is fairly standard size for carbon tube.  Of the 2 sizes you quote I would go for .240 if you cannot get proper 6mm.  This may be very slightly big, so you may need to make the hole in the centre 'T' a little bigger but try it first. The re-enforcing plugs are usually made from solid carbon rod - about 2 to 3 inches long. Depending on your carbon tube you will need either 3mm (0.118") or 4mm (0.157") carbon rod which is superglued in. Good makes of 6mm carbon tube include Exel Cruise and Structil but it depends what is available in your area.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 11:30 PM »

Going in the opposite direction it would appear, when replacing a 6mm rod with a decimal rod, I've always used the .230  For example, 6 thousandths is very tiny small amount of difference, so small that a single wrap of Scotch tape will make your rod too big for the ferrule. By comparison, it's somewhat harder (at least for me) to accurately sand off exactly 4 thousandths (maybe 5 for good measure) and I've always felt that removing the outer coating off a rod made it that much more likely to break or wear out. You could always coat a 230 rod in some fine powder Cheesy  (no, actually baking soda comes to mind. What were you thinking?) which should take up the extra space.  If you're worried about fine tuning, then you might want to replace broken spars in sets, so maybe both lower spreaders.  Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it myself, except in the case of lower spreaders, where different flex might be bothersome. Most of my old English kites are repaired with decimal spars, and I've noticed no difference in performance at all. If internal reinforcement is desired, I'd just use what you can find. If you don't have a ready supply of small gauge carbon or fiberglass around, I've used bamboo with success . Just saturate it well in CA glue, then be really fast in shoving it in, and trim off the excess.

HTH,

Lee
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 11:33 PM by Lee S » Logged
dihongshao2000
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 11:47 PM »

Thank you both for your help.  I will try 0.230" tube first with whatever solid rod reinforcing that I can find in our local kite store in Seattle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography