GWTW Forum
August 23, 2014, 08:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fearless sul and Tattoo , are they different from each other ?  (Read 4353 times)
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 04:12 PM »

I keep saying it, The SUL Tattoo and the SUL are noticeably different in how they fly and trick. I have it on good authority (myself) Grin
It could be that Lam has made mine different, I wanted it to work in the lightest wind possible but that's just a thought and not a known fact..

We have both the SUL and the Tattoo..............There is considerable difference in the way they fly even if using the same spreaders............(3PT or 2PT)  Lam told me it was the difference in applique and non and the mass because of the different weights used.......I find the SUL easier to trick becasue it is more tolerant of my heavy hands........

Personally, my belief is that every one of Lam's kites is just a bit different from all the others...........HOWEVER, it doesn't bother the way HE flys them...(maybe just us mortals)

James-
Two years ago when we got into Fearless the price difference between the Applique Sul and the Tattoo was $100...................I'm thinking that the lack of Applique on the Tattoo makes sewing time longer as Lam has to follow a silver/grayish line rather than a piece of material.....in other words, he's got to put on the glasses Grin

We have since decided to List the Fearless as Tattoo, SUL, Light, STD and Vent,,,,,,,,,,of course with the different variances in Vented and non Vented and...............ummmm.........Bridles? Wink.................I heard a rumor once that there is a vented Tattoo, but, of course can't confirm............. Undecided

JIm

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 04:31 PM »

Lam has made a Vented SUL, he didn't say it was the Tattoo sail.

If there is enough wind, I like the SUL over the Tattoo for over all tricking.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
freecheese
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 04:48 PM »

Oh no, you did not just mention a vented SUL. Wars have been started with less provocation.

I got a chance to fly it at WISKIF. It's a regular SUL (aside from the venting, which I suppose is quite irregular), not a tattoo.
Dolphinboy

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 04:59 PM »

Oh no, you did not just mention a vented SUL. Wars have been started with less provocation.

I got a chance to fly it at WISKIF. It's a regular SUL (aside from the venting, which I suppose is quite irregular), not a tattoo.

I'm not planning on running out and buying one...... But I really want to fly it Smiley
So, what do you think?

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
freecheese
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 05:16 PM »

I'd have to have more time on it to really get a feel for it. The whole week was a learning experience, and that day I learned I needed to completely rethink my light wind flying.

I can say this, though, it was a beautiful kite, and Lam did stuff with it I had never seen before. It really inspired me to get out and practise some fundamentals.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 06:46 PM »

It is a secret weapon - I only know of 1 other than Lam's.

6 kite tom
Kantaxel

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 07:46 PM »

So.........the rumor that you have more than six kites IS TRUE? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 09:34 PM »

Lam told me it was the difference in applique and non and the mass because of the different weights used.......
OK... the second I can understand, the first I'm simply going to add to the large pile in the corner marked "Legends of the Fearless (and no other kite)" and leave it at that.

I think perhaps we've now answered the original question though:- they are different and differ in similar ways.  Shocked

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Dolphinboy

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 11:41 PM »

Legends of the Fearless

Has a nice sound to it, Cool Cool

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
Kantaxel

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010, 01:25 AM »

Legends of the Fearless

Has a nice sound to it, Cool Cool

Yes it does...........and  Mike  Huh   .............I can think (well maybe actually I can't think, ie) that the drag created by applique on the lifting part of the wing could probably change the flight characteristics of the wing..........maybe even substantially................so maybe the pile should be diminished just a tad to compensate?   Undecided

zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 01:39 AM »

that the drag created by applique on the lifting part of the wing could probably change the flight characteristics of the wing..........maybe even substantially................
Well if we're all going to speculate wildly.... the nano-scale venting of the Tattoo "probably" shifts the pressure centre on the sail too.  Roll Eyes

But this leads us back into the "140# or 170# bridle line" argument again. And madness. Let's not, shall we ?

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Kantaxel

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 02:09 AM »

Sad

tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2010, 05:35 AM »

Thanks a heap guys, for all the inputs and info on the subject.
 I can see that these kites differ from each other.

tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2010, 09:54 AM »

This discussion has my interest piqued - I thought I had tried every Fearless model that there was. I'll have to give your SUL a go on the hill sometime Jim.

Sounds like it is between the tat and light in overall required wind and pitchy attitude.

6 kite tom
Kantaxel

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2010, 03:29 PM »

This discussion has my interest piqued - I thought I had tried every Fearless model that there was. I'll have to give your SUL a go on the hill sometime Jim.

Sounds like it is between the tat and light in overall required wind and pitchy attitude.
Tom,
I thought you had tried it....maybe it was Reggie Undecided         It is so much like the light, it's really hard to differentiate them from one another, plus being mango and yellow.................. Embarrassed

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document