GWTW Forum
April 16, 2014, 04:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need help with computer  (Read 1980 times)
oyehut1955
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: November 04, 2010, 10:01 PM »

Hi guys..  i am here asking for help again..  i seem to get the answers here rather than from tech support whose answer is to hang up.  My boss's printer quit, we bought a new one and it won't work either..  i took it home and it works great..  so we know there is something wrong with the computer.

computer is Aspire 5535-5452
Vista 32 bit

we have done all the printer diagnostic tools printer is for sure ok.

we have a couple of aides and nurses who use the computer when boss is gone..  am thinking one of them deleted or screwed something up...   any help would be much appreciated..  she is 70yo and pretty much house bound with hubby on a ventillator  any help much appreciated..

many smiles to you,
debbie

"it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string"

http://community.webshots.com/user/oyehut1955
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 10:08 PM »

if you right click on "my computer" and click "properties" at the bottom of the list, then click the "hardware" tab, and push "device manager", in the screen which pops up, are there any exclamation points in yellow next to anything (especially the printer)?

i'm sure someone will come along with more help but knowing the results of the above is a good first step.

Fdeli
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 10:42 PM »

Printers don't show up in device manager, at least in Win 95 - XP, but for most hardware problems that is the first step so it's not a bad call. If you do see that exclamation point on the PORT the printer is connected to then you have found the problem. Remove the port there in Device Manager and reboot, windows will find it and re-install it, that will often cure these types of hardware problems. Win+Pause is the keyboard shortcut to get there.

Did you use the same cable when you tested it at home? If not try a different cable.

Plugging a printer into a different USB port then originally used when you installed it can cause you to lose it too, but Windows will usually tell you it found a new printer and ask to install it. When that happens you end up with *printer & *printer(2) and you have to choose the right one. Check that you only have one by clicking on START then PRINTERS & FAXES. If there are two open up your word processor and switch back and forth by going to File & Print rather then clicking the printer icon to find the right one then set it as the default back in Printers and Faxes, if that works delete the wrong one.

Click on START then HELP and do a search for Printer Troubleshooter, run that and see if it finds the problem.

If nothing has worked go back into the Printers & Faxes and remove the printer then re-install per the manual.

Hope it helps

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 11:16 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
oyehut1955

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 06:25 AM »

thanks guys..  should have mentioned that we bought  a new usb cable as well but testing at my house shows old cable works fine.  We have uninstalled and reinstalled w/HP support tech's..  tried all the usb ports. Tried the printer trouble shooting and it says there is no problem to fix??? 

thanks again.. 

DD
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 06:56 AM »

could be lack of vista driver for this printer, check for vista driver

Sine Metu!
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 03:36 PM »

When did the printer stop working??

If changes were made to the registry you may be able to correct by going back to a previous setting

a couple of things are required, 1 the system must have been set to save restore points, 2 the driver software must be installed

to check.. click start...all programs....accessories....system tools......system restore and click

It will ask what you want....restore computer to an earlier date....****  no data will be lost****

when the calendar comes up look for a date (prior to the problem) that when you point to it the cursor changes to a hand, select that date and continue... the computer will run the restore then restart

after the computer boots back up you will get a report from system restore with one of two messages

1 the system was successfully restored to the date..... (good news the problem may be resolved)

2 the system could not restore to the selected date no changes have been made ... (sorry the problem persists)

Good luck

MikeM
Brookings,OR/Tucson,AZ

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

oyehut1955

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 12:50 AM »

yep i did think about doing a system restore but i didnt know if that would have anything to do with the new printer we are trying to install..  took the old printer home to test it..  so software is there.. it quit working around the end of sept..

if old printer wprks at my house i will bring it back to work and run that software then do a restore and see what happens.. 

thanks again Grin

kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 09:34 AM »

the system restore will revert any changes to the registry, if the new printer fails to work after install them either the USB ports are damaged or something has changed in the registry

its a quick check, with no harm done to the computer...otherwise a complete format/restore may be required

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

DD
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 01:13 PM »

are both on vista?

Sine Metu!
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 03:03 PM »

Did the new printer ever work on the machine ? If so...
Have you checked to see if any print jobs are stuck in the printer Q ? If there are, delete them out & restart the machine.

Also, the print spooler service may not be running for reasons other than a printer problem. The state of the spooler can be determined by typing
sc query spooler
at the command prompt.
If it's not running, try typing...
net start spooler
at the command prompt.

Like Mike said, a full system restore is almost a guarenteed fix... but, that's a big job and you have to make sure ALL of your user data is backed up. That includes documents, pictures, saved user names & PWs, emails & contacts, etc.

If there's any question about the function of the USB ports... you could verify that they work by plugging something else into them. Maybe as simple as a USB mouse. If the mouse works, the USB port works.

Good luck... don't you LOVE computers ?!?
~Rob.

oyehut1955

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 09:13 PM »

yes vista and yes it was working but she hasnt used it since mid summer..  i want to create a restore point back to june..  thats the last date we can find anything printed from.. vista isnt giving me a calendar to choose from..  they give a list of dates but they only go back to 10/29??

any idea how i can input my own date?

thanks so much

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 10:46 PM »

System Restore is limited to only 12% of your disk space so the number of restore points is limited. It's doubtful unless there's a couple terabyte drive in there that you have a restore point that far back  Sad

Running the Printer Troubleshooter would've immediately shown no printer installed if a port or cable was bad so I assume your hardware is all good.

You said the diagnostics tests were working, are those tests being run using the printer driver or from the controls on the printer itself? If you're running them from the computer using the printer properties then the printer is properly installed and working, you probably just have a different printer selected as the default.

Clearing the spooler and running those diagnostics is a good suggestion, a corrupt print job can mess things up.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 10:49 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
oyehut1955

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 05:56 PM »

we finally have a working printer!! Tongue

turns out that the computer had a built in e recovery program that gave me the option to take it back to the factory settings..  so thats what i did..  didnt have to reload windows but had to reload some other stuff..  turned out to be a good learning experience for me. The computer works better now than it ever has and Judy is pleased as punch hahaha ..

Thanks for all the suggestions from all of you..
Many smiles..  debbie Smiley

Hal
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 07:36 AM »

Hey Debbie, you're doing so good, want to fix my son's computer in New Mexico?  He had it on during an electrical storm and now has the "blue screen of death".  Of course all his system discs were up here, so had to send them to him.  See how he does when he gets them   Embarrassed

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 07:48 AM »

Building a recovery backup as soon as you have Windows and all your needed programs installed is about the smartest thing you can do. You can then get the computer back to your working state quickly, then with proper data backups your golden. Good for them and glad your back up.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography