GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 11:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guildworks D31 and d15  (Read 3038 times)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« on: November 07, 2010, 03:44 PM »

Anyone out there happen to have a spare center bow rod for one of these kites?
They are custom made Avia Center-G (custom double taper) rods.....Kurt made them for Mark a long time ago....I know that HQ had spares at one point...but when they moved out of NY they tossed them all out! (I had been trying to purchase all of them but they were thrown out unbeknownst to Tim B who was in charge at the time......

I was just contacted by someone (not sure if she is on here or not) because they split the rod and need a new one.....

These rods are not in the realm of SkyShark Zero Response Gold rods.....NONE out there!

rob

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 02:17 PM »

the bow is made up of three rods...two tapered at either end...and then the center rod is a custom jobby.....extra reinforcements at the ends....

sunsetflyers
Trade Count: (+78)

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 04:26 PM »

i have some tapered rods like super skinnys is that the kind

Steve & Sherri
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 04:48 PM »

Nope....these are the center rods.....they were never used in any other kite except for Marc's......so....i am hoping that someone might know of a stash....

sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 06:25 PM »

what is the length of these centre spars?

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 06:43 PM »

28.5" / 72.4cm Avia Center-G (custom double taper)

I heard from Marc...he has none of these..
For the Deca 15:
"I recommend the p100 series  using a p300 or P400 in the center of the Deca 15 with P200 on the outside   then you would need to use the ferrule to make a section to fit into the caps on the Deca .. but the rods work well being cut to length to match."

Anyone want to play?

sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 07:39 PM »

Why not use Sky Shark 5PTs (or for lighter winds, 3PTs) for the outer spars?
They use the same ferrule size as a P-300 or P-400 and the tapered ends should fit in the Deca's caps.
I'd suggest one of the newer PX series spars for the centre:
The new tubes have a new woven look, they are very much the same as the old P series tubes, same ID and OD. The big difference is the tubes are made with a higher modules of carbon which makes them 15 to 20 % stiffer that the old P series tubes.

The New Sky Shark™ PX Series Straight Competition Air Frames.
These tubes can be cut and ferruled anywhere using a solid carbon rod. They can also be ferruled with any of the New Tapered tubes except the 2PT. These tubes work great for building sport kites as well as single line kites.

All of our PX series tubes are non-tapered, with the same inside diameter as our tapered tubes. You can join any of our PX series tubes with the P series, or tapered tubes. These tubes are made in much the same way as our wrapped tapered tube with the exception of materials used . The PX-series also use a different layering of materials which makes it possible to cut the tubes anywhere and ferrule them without breaking out the wall, unlike the tapered tubes.

All the new PX series tubes come from a new manufacturer and we think the quality is better than ever.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 05:21 PM by sbrown » Logged

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 11:49 AM »

I would think that anything but a large diameter stick like the GForce would certainly change the kite. Even a SS5PT isn't nearly as stiff.

Maybe Nitros? Probably be sacrificing weight no matter what you do.

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 02:00 PM »

Marc told me that he has a 15 that has been reframed over to p100s and it does okay....lower wind performance than the original frame...but not as good at the top end....

boomzilla
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 06:01 PM »

a big thanks for all the help in repairing this great kite...we have a tentative repair, waiting for flight test...the end rods, of the 3 in the leading edge, did not need replacement...they fit in the px series rods perfectly...cut a p2x, & a p3x rod to length, was a great fix...we installed the p2x and assembled...everything looks good so far...

the p2x is just a couple of grams heavier than the original, must have left the figures at work...been thinking about cutting a p1x also...also been thinking about a thread and epoxy wrap at the ferrule spot...rob has photos of the rods and the kite if he wants to post it...thanks again...glenn

rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 01:04 PM »

In Cases like these I recomend going rightto the source Jon T at skyburner. He has been around so long and and has handled damn near every rod or tube  made. He has always had a solution for my needs.
Rob

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum