GWTW Forum
July 30, 2014, 06:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pop  (Read 1910 times)
Old Greebo
Trade Count: (0)
Pop
« on: November 17, 2010, 02:40 PM »

Sorry, lads, (and lasses!) but this little corner IS for us beginners!
And we don't all fly our kites on beaches or fields where there are always experts flinging their toys across the sky, and whom we can bow to and ask our silly questions.
So we come here.
Hopefully this is a place where we can ask the questions that we can't where we pursue our lonely - but lovely - sport.

Every hint I've read here about kite manoeuvres includes the word 'pop'.

What's a 'pop?

Please?   Pretty please?
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 02:50 PM »

Pop = Soda
Pop = Granddad
Pop = A generally nauseating music genre
Pop = Type of gun

or

Pop = Sharp pull

Kiss Cheesy

tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 02:52 PM »

A carbonated beverage depending on where you live.

Check this link out:
http://popvssoda.com:2998/countystats/total-county.html
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 02:55 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Old Greebo
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 04:39 PM »

Er,   thanks.   I think.
OK, so 'pop'  =  'sharp pull'.    Now I get it.  That'll help me when I read in these threads about how to try to do yoyos and other stuff.
Hope you're not all hinting that twerps like me should clear off and not ask silly questions?  I really didn't know!  Perhaps it's an Americanism?   I'm trying to learn!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 04:49 PM »

Think of a pop as a tug with no distance.

So, as you impact the kite with tension (it does NOT have to be hard to be an impact), you are stopping the motion of your hand.

More of a karate chop, less about follow-through.

If you have trouble doing this, time your tug so that as the kite line comes under tension, your hand stops against your chest. You would be using your chest as a motion limiter.

Many precision competition fliers would use this chest method to stop their hand motion abruptly.

If you hurt your chest, you are doing the stop correctly.  Smiley

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:50 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Old Greebo
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 05:00 PM »

Many thanks, Chilese.

This makes me wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to have a 'Glossary of Terms' thread somewhere in the Forum.   I'd love to have someone define (without necessarily saying how to perform, though of course that would help!) an Axel.  And a Yoyo.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 05:17 PM »

No don't misunderstand, we really don't mind the questions and encourage you to ask more or anyone else reading this to ask in the BEGINNER'S CORNER but sometimes cheeky comments get inserted with actual knowledge. DONT BE ALARMED, we mean no harm or disrespect and do it more for our own amusement more then anything else Cheesy Cheesy

"Pop" as defined in a tricking a kite is generally a quick burst of line tension generally followed by little to no tension
The toughest part is gauging how quick to "pop" and with how much force, this  is something that can be wind and kite dependant and difficult to explain in words.

and then of course there is  "yank", "spank" "pull" "lawn more start pull" "open a drawer pull" "tap" all variants of line coming toward you in varying amounts and speed.
"slack" or "push" is line going away from you in varying amounts and speed.
Throw in front of all those words like "alittle" "alot" "tons" " small" "tiny" "sharp"
and you kinda have most  descriptions of tricks, except for the "when"
Something often overlooked by new fliers is that you can not only use your arms to give both "pull" and "slack" but your 'feet' by moving towards and away from the kite.

lastly, to me soda has always been pop and i like coke over pepsi Grin

Sine Metu!
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 05:22 PM »

Think of a pop as a tug with no distance.

So, as you impact the kite with tension (it does NOT have to be hard to be an impact), you are stopping the motion of your hand.

More of a karate chop, less about follow-through.

If you have trouble doing this, time your tug so that as the kite line comes under tension, your hand stops against your chest. You would be using your chest as a motion limiter.

Many precision competition fliers would use this chest method to stop their hand motion abruptly.

If you hurt your chest, you are doing the stop correctly.  Smiley

Hope that helps.

if you need a "big pop" alot of new fliers pull to their chest and stop, you can get even bigger "pops" and "pulls" by keeping your hands by your sides and continuing your motion past your body.

but yes i have been known to pound my chest like a gorilla some times too Cheesy

Sine Metu!
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 06:30 PM »

Hope you're not all hinting that twerps like me should clear off and not ask silly questions?  I really didn't know!  Perhaps it's an Americanism?   I'm trying to learn!
We've all been newbies here at one time or another. No one treated me like a "twerp" when I started posting on the original version of this forum. They started treating me like one much, much later after they all learned I actually was one.  Cheesy

It is very good that beginners come on here and ask what you might think are dumb questions. The more you ask, the sooner you learn and begin laying the foundation for improving your skills. The side benefit is some of us get to look like we're smart by answering your question and clever by coming up with smart aleck responses as evidenced by my post above.  Roll Eyes  Grin

So keep the questions coming. This is the very best source for kiting info in North America and maybe the world. English-speaking world, anyway. Wink

Oh, and while I'm at it, do not, I repeat DO NOT move your arms across your body when giving inputs and with apologies to my dear friend John, refrain from hitting yourself anywhere when doing the same thing. These are just things you'll have to "unlearn" one of these days if you really get serious about tricking a kite.

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 11:17 PM »

I did specify that he only use the chest stop if he was having trouble getting the pop without it.
 Roll Eyes

Ahhhh, the good old days of precision competition.  Smiley

Looking forward to your next visit Randy. Wind will be gusting to 30 mph Friday night if you're free.  Grin

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Scotty

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 11:53 PM »

This makes me wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to have a 'Glossary of Terms' thread somewhere in the Forum.   I'd love to have someone define (without necessarily saying how to perform, though of course that would help!) an Axel.  And a Yoyo.

http://fracturedaxel.co.uk/wiki/tiki-index.php
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 11:55 PM by Scotty » Logged
Hadge

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 12:29 AM »

Many thanks, Chilese.

Have a look here
www.seek2know.org.uk/kites/PJKites/Kites%20notes.pdf

I think you'll find it very useful. Wink

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Old Greebo
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 05:57 AM »

Thanks, Scotty and Hadge.   I've bookmarked the Wiki page and downloaded the .PDF.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document