GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 10:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yoyos finally figured out (tips)  (Read 2182 times)
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: November 12, 2010, 05:12 AM »

I've been working on rolling up for the last few years and struggled to figure it out. Finally, thanks to Tim Benson's Trick or Treat video, I finally got it! Though I have no idea what's happening with the K2000 or the comete, Tim's explanation for the roll up is perfect.

It's only four basic steps:
Arms behind you and thrust forward to get some slack.
Small pop to bring the nose towards you.
Sweep back and pull your arms toward you to start the kite rolling up.
Push forward with lots of slack to let it keep going.

When the wind's right, I can do it somewhat consistently. A huge thanks to JimB for letting me borrow his T&T video!

I hope this helps anyone who's been trying to learn this trick and is stuck.

Bob D.
jaydub
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 10:02 AM »

This one still defeats me most of the time.  I know the moves, but have all sort of problems getting the front flip consistently.  And when I do, it's such a shock that I don't always time the pull for the roll up right.

Happy to take any further tips from anybody on this one.  It's doing my head in.  Embarrassed
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 11:07 AM »

I only learned the front flip to yoyo after learning how to do it from many other orientations.

I find it easier to yoyo from a half-backspin than any other way (the kite is nose down when it comes around and only needs a little pop/slack).  This one also has the advantage of being easily entered from a variety of flying positions since the kite is frequently momentarily upside-down  in the fade orientation when stringing tricks together.

Second easiest is to just one-pop (pull back, snap, throw arms and lunge forward and most will go right around).  It's easier to do this not at the top of the window (there is less wind there build pressure for the rotation), but perhaps 1/2 way up as you fly up.  

Third is from a fade (backwards yoyo), just fade, then hit it and step forward while it goes around and catch the slack once it does.

But, if you are getting the front-flip, then keep at it.

6 kite tom
Bob D

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 06:04 AM »

I've never been able to really get it to roll up from a fade no matter how hard I pop it out of the fade and run forward. The slack, pop nose forward, sweep back to get it to start rolling up and lots of slack to get it to keep going has been working pretty consistently. I've only done it when the wind is not too strong so I'll have to see how the inputs will change with higher wind. It's really nice to see a trick work when you want it to work.

Bob D.
Bob D

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 05:04 AM »

I've rolled up my Minigem from a fade accidentally a few times but I've tried with my Deep Space and Nirvanas without any luck. I give it a strong pull and it rolls over and I run forward but it doesn't keep going.  I'm sure it's a matter of slack but I have to figure out where I'm going wrong. I suppose it's a lot like figuring out the inputs for a regular roll up. After watching the Trick or Treat video, the steps make a lot of sense - especially the sweep  to start it and the slack to let it keep going.

(I just watched it again this morning for the yoyo fade roll up and it DOES make sense. I have to practice more and that's always something I enjoy doing.)

Bob D.
ghfisanotti

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 05:36 PM »

Definitely, the front flip method is hardly the easiest way to do a yo-yo. I find many kites don't like to do the front flip. In my experience, the easiest way is fade, then lateral roll, when the kite has almost completed the lateral roll it will be in a front flip, but with more inertia, just give it a strong pull with both lines immediately followed by lots of slack, a couple of fast forward steps will surely help in the beginnings.
Another easy way to learn the right pull-push required to do the roll-up is trying to do the yo-yo take-off, with the kite on the ground, your hands close to your hips, take some very small and slow backwards steps, the kite will start falling forward, when it is approximately 45 degrees towards falling belly down, pull sharply and strongly with both lines and push forward giving as much slack as possible, the kite should jump and make a quick roll-up. If it doesn't complete the roll-up, you may try adding some more weight to the tail end of the spine, that should help with inertia.

Keep practicing, good luck!
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 08:48 PM »

Definitely, the front flip method is hardly the easiest way to do a yo-yo.

Oh yeah? Looks pretty easy to me if you practice it and time it right. As proof I submit this for your approval a video I did for some friends on another kite forum a year or so ago (not one of my typical tutorials, fyi):

http://www.sportkiteflyer.com/Videos/Randyg_Yoyo.wmv

In all seriousness this is an extremely easy method to roll up a kite but you have to get the timing right and work to learn what a given kite wants. And move your feet, manage the correct amount of slack, hold your mouth right, yada, yada, so on and so forth. It is probably my favorite method to yoyo at this point. As well, if a kite will yoyo then it will do this trick in my experience.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 08:54 PM by randyg » Logged

Schook
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 09:47 AM »

This one still defeats me most of the time.  I know the moves, but have all sort of problems getting the front flip consistently.  And when I do, it's such a shock that I don't always time the pull for the roll up right.

Happy to take any further tips from anybody on this one.  It's doing my head in.  Embarrassed

My problem comes after giving slack and allowing the nose to fall back a bit, my first "pop" forward is usually to strong and then things just get tangled up from there.  If I relax and make the initial pop forward nice and easy before hitting it again, I can get a nice looking roll-up.

jim

"The wise will listen; and the other wise will do otherwise"
jaydub

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 11:18 AM »

My problem comes after giving slack and allowing the nose to fall back a bit, my first "pop" forward is usually to strong and then things just get tangled up from there.  If I relax and make the initial pop forward nice and easy before hitting it again, I can get a nice looking roll-up.

jim
Hi Jim,

Yes just learning that one.  Had a quick fly on Sunday and was doing better but then lost it again.  Suspect I must have tensed up.  Undecided
Bob D

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 04:58 AM »

My feeling is that if I understand what I need to do to make it work, it's a matter of practice after that to make it consistent. I've been able to pop, sweep, and slack in lighter wind because it's easier to pop the nose before the sweep. Now I have to try it at different wind speeds to learn how to vary my inputs.

My favorite trick is the 540 for coolness. The yoyo is next on my list.

Bob D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change