GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 09:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Novices in VF-17?  (Read 1647 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: November 13, 2010, 09:34 PM »

I'm curious if any novices to freestyle like myself have entered a VF comp.  I've looked at the entries of VF-15&16 and its a bit intimidating knowing your not nearly as good as guys like mama74, Gerardo, Shannon W., Tom Patterson and many others that have entered in the past.  I've been into stunt kites for a while but only recently got into the freestyle tricking when I got back into the hobby this summer and I know I have a long way to go to even come close to what some of you guys can do.
tpatter

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 12:25 AM »

Lots of novices enter VF, I think you should should go for it! Smiley

Preparing to record yourself, recording some video, and then editing that raw material into an entry can be much work.  The upside is that you end up watching yourself flying alot which helps you to critique and improve your skills.  If nothing else, putting a video together is a goal thats fun (flying!) to work towards and is also a good excuse to fly more!  Smiley

Thanks for the name mention, btw, but its not deserved.  There are a small handfull who regularly enter and are phenomenal flyers, some more that are damn good, alot of us that have a little skill here and there and battle it out for the middle spots, and then the rest.

It's more of a process of improving thing than a winning 1st place thing, at least for me, and probably for most.  And don't forget - the big prizes are often random draw, so all you have to do is participate and you have as good a chance as anyone at taking home a sweet Saber II this round!  Smiley

6 kite tom
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 12:33 AM »

Hey Tom, looks like we're coming from the same direction:

Cheesy, we should probably drop my name and add "Piero Serra", winner of rounds 5,6,8,9,10,11 & 13 of the "all inclusive VF". Cool

I'm pretty sure plenty of people including myself have put in entries knowing full well that we weren't going to place in the top 5, I've never viewed it as a 'must win' thing, it's is all about participating.

BUT... I would suggest you put the time in to try to put together your best possible effort, at whatever level you're at, the one thing I can say after viewing a few rounds is the you can see effort at any level, and I don't mind watching any entry that 'really gives it a go'

FYI, a rough KPI that I use ATM is to record about 2-4 hours of flying over about a month to select from, in that I find I end up with 3 or 4 options that are of roughly equal value to chose a final entry.

If I was you I'd go out and go through the whole process of putting together an entry, and see how you go.
(There are a few steps to it and I found it a fair bit more work than I'd budgeted for time wise, the first entry I made was submitted with only minutes to spare).

If you, at the end of the process, feel happy with it then in it goes... Otherwise, well you'll be well prepared for VF18. Totally up to you.  Smiley

One 'flying' hint, get it onto the ground often, every new launch is a new chance at putting down that great 60-90 seconds. So learning to land is way up there with recoveries as 'almost must have' tricks in your arsenal.

Best of luck

WD [still a VF noob]

WinterDaze AoF
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 04:20 AM »

Hey there...
It is way harder than it looks to put together an entry. I've been watching the VF videos for a long time, and always joked that I might be good enough by the time round 20 came around. Well, it's getting close. I had an entry put together for round 15, but it was refused for being out of frame too long. Couldn't get any good footage for round 16, same problem, couldn't keep it in the frame. I have something for this round that actually stays in the frame (hardest trick for me...) but I'm still going out once or twice more to get better flying, and in the frame.
If you have someone that can shoot the video, that would make it tremendously easier. Then you just fly, and don't have to worry where the frame is.
Like Tom said, filming your flying will help you out alot as a learning tool. I review my flying, and try to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I put some clips together and post them, and ask other more experienced pilots what I'm doing wrong... why did I blow that trick ? One thing you'll notice, your flying has never been worse than when you first turn the camera on, and your flying will instantly get better when the battery runs out on the camera !  Grin

Good luck, hope to see you in this round...

~Rob.

zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 08:48 AM »

<applies former VF tzar hat>

I'm curious if any novices to freestyle like myself have entered a VF
comp.

There have been more than a few novices taking part.

I've looked at the entries of VF-15&16 and its a bit intimidating knowing your not nearly as good as guys like mama74, Gerardo, Shannon W., Tom Patterson and many others...

You make a fair point. So take a look a little further down the finishing order. Can you find a peer group that you think you fit into ? Where do you think your flying should rank you ? Got that - then go out and try to demonstrate it.

It's true that making a VF-worthy video is something of an acquired skill. Sorry 'bout that but there's not a lot we can do and plenty of people have managed. As per usual the big prize, a spanking new kite, isn't for the winner but a random draw of all who take part. I've mentioned before - Piero Serra has won VF seven times but it was his son, Enzo, that snagged a Muse in round 10. All Piero has to show is bragging rights  Wink

I can't recall many people regretting entering VF but plenty have regretted not doing so.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Ca Ike

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 11:51 AM »

Well filming yourself is definitely the hard part.  Staying in the frame, especially in shifty inland winds, isn't easy when your not looking through the camera. The other issue is keeping the kite in focus.   I have some test footage I took a few days ago and the kite is a blur for the most part  but traffic in the background isn't so I still have to figure out better settings on my little samsung.  Oh and of course my cleanest flying happened when the wind shifted 90 degrees making sure i was out of frame  Cheesy
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 04:50 AM »

I found that it helps to put the camera in 'sports' mode. Also, if there's an adjustment for FPS, make sure it's turned up all the way. I set my focus manually to infinity, the kite is too small and fast for the auto-focus to work on.
I shot ~2 hours of video this weekend, but doesn't look like I got anything I can use for VF17. It's really difficult to stay within imaginary boundries when the wind's up. I need to get one of the motion tracking PTZ cameras from work...  Grin

WinterDaze

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 06:35 AM »

Piero Serra has won VF seven times but it was his son, Enzo, that snagged a Muse in round 10. All Piero has to show is bragging rights  Wink

Ah but to be offered a coffee at his house.... Cry

WinterDaze AoF
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 08:59 AM »

Ah but to be offered a coffee at his house.... Cry
But he only has the one VF mug (from round 11). The Patterson family have two (one for guests ?).

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
WinterDaze

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 01:34 PM »

But he only has the one VF mug (from round 11).

VF can be a cruel master Wink

WinterDaze AoF
Ca Ike

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 03:45 PM »

I found that it helps to put the camera in 'sports' mode. Also, if there's an adjustment for FPS, make sure it's turned up all the way. I set my focus manually to infinity, the kite is too small and fast for the auto-focus to work on.
I shot ~2 hours of video this weekend, but doesn't look like I got anything I can use for VF17. It's really difficult to stay within imaginary boundries when the wind's up. I need to get one of the motion tracking PTZ cameras from work...  Grin
Oh man is it ever.  I shot about 3 hours worth last time I had wind testing out my new cam and over 1/3 of that was out of frame totally due to a wind shift or in and out so much that a lot of the tricks i did get were off to the side and partly out of frame Lips sealed.  My cam has both a sports and a high speed setting so next time I get some decent wind I'll see what one works best.  I'm guessing wither will work but the high speed might be just a bit better as well as using the tv fine resolution vs web fine.
ghfisanotti
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 04:28 PM »

I'm curious if any novices to freestyle like myself have entered a VF comp. 

I never imagined my name being written along mama74 and the others! certainly no deserved! anyway, I have to encourage you to participate, you have nothing to loose and you may even win a great kite, and believe me it's true, I won a 4D in VF15, the first time I participated in VF!

Some tips for making a decent video: get the widest angle lens possible, that will give you a larger frame to stay in. If you don't have some other pilot to operate the camera while you fly, mount the cam on a tripod and try to stay ahead of the camera. Land frequently so you have many starting points for a video. It happened to me that I found some interesting one-minute segments, but none of them starting on the ground. Set up your camera so it is not trying to focus continuously.

Hope to meet you at VF17.

I've already prepared two or three possible videos, just waiting to see if I can get some better footage in the next remaining weekends before VF17 deadline.

Best regards,

Gerardo.
Yan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 11:51 AM »

I'm curious if any novices to freestyle like myself have entered a VF comp.  I've looked at the entries of VF-15&16 and its a bit intimidating knowing your not nearly as good as guys like mama74, Gerardo, Shannon W., Tom Patterson and many others that have entered in the past.  I've been into stunt kites for a while but only recently got into the freestyle tricking when I got back into the hobby this summer and I know I have a long way to go to even come close to what some of you guys can do.

All are welcome in VF comps.... there is no minimum standard Wink . My first entry was essentially a couple of ropey half axles.... but by entering I felt like I was part of something bigger than just flying alone in a local field.

Yes, VF is a competition, and if you win you get the kudos, but if you enter you may win a new kite...(a Saber II from Will Sturdy) or a special edition JoE/VF collaboration mug  or a Benson hoodie and the rest of the kiting community will know your out there....

Download the poster from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5667582/pics%20to%20share/VF17posterpdf.pdf   print it out and put up somewhere for inspiration.

I hope you feel able to enter, Yan

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum