GWTW Forum
December 17, 2014, 08:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite lines  (Read 1219 times)
Old Greebo
Trade Count: (0)
« on: November 16, 2010, 11:57 AM »

OK, I've done it.  I've ordered a Silver Fox Std.  But I didn't order any lines with it.

Am I right in guessing that it needs 150lb lines?  The site where I ordered it didn't exactly specify.   If I attached a pair of 100lb lines (from my HQ Yukon), what sort of wind speed would be liable to break them?

Oh, and an associated question.  Is it sensible to assume that 150lb lines are as strong at 85ft (25m) as they are at 100ft (30m)?  Or at 130ft (40m)?
sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 12:19 PM »

I use 90# line with my Silver Fox 2.3 & 2.5 standards with no worries.
The frame will likely start shuddering well before the lines snap.

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 12:51 PM »

I also use 90/100# x 25 meters for 90% of my flying. I only go on to 150# x 30 m when the wind gets up to 18mph or more and 50# x 20 m when the wind drops below 5mph.

The Yukon uses 100# 'blendline' according to the HQ site. These are ok for now, but  it might be a good move to buy some decent dyneema lines to get the best from your new kite (Climax lines are good).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 12:56 PM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 12:55 PM »

Line weight is the same no matter the length.. Most people over compensate for line strength, the lighter the lines the better.. unless your going to fly in wind beyond the kites wind capabilities I would go light...I would rather snap a line than a spar

At Kite Party 8 last year, the wind started out light, so I got out a set of 50# lines and was flying some Griffins... then later when the wind picked up I connected a 7 stack of Nexus kites and launched...as I was making a some ground passes I could hear the lines groaning, I then remembered I was on 50#.. landed and switched to 150#

So I think your 100# will work, but recommend your next set of lines should be lighter for the not so windy days

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Old Greebo
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 01:59 PM »

<<The Yukon uses 100# 'blendline' according to the HQ site. These are ok for now, but  it might be a good move to buy some decent dyneema lines to get the best from your new kite (Climax lines are good).>>

Yes.  Well, I admit I have been wondering about those Yukon lines.  Would they explain why, if I try to execute nice, sharp, square maneuvres with my Yukon, it always performs a near-perfect circle?   I never had that sort of problem when my quasi-son-in-law granted me permission to fly his Huntsman out in Australia earlier this year.  He paid $500 (or Oz equivalent) for it, so the lines would presumably have been The Best.

OK, so I'll try a pair of 100lb dyneema lines.  I've now got the stuff to make them from, and I did pick up useful hints from another thread here about pre-stretching dyneema lines!

I'm still waiting for the kite to arrive.   I ordered it from a Las Vegas supplier over a week ago, and I gather it's currently languishing in Customs at Heathrow Airport.  When I do eventually get a chance to try it out, I'll tell you about it.
From a newbie's point of view, of course!
Hadge

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 02:23 PM »

Without revisiting the old thread, Dyneema lines will have a lot less stretch so your kite will react more quickly to your inputs.  You will also be able to get more wraps in your lines before they begin to bind up.

I've not tried the Silver Fox ( but everything I've read has been good). The FW Soul is certainly a very nice kite. Shame they don't still import them to the UK ( I would imagine importing from the States will be a bit expensive with shipping and UK import duties  Sad). 

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Old Greebo
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 03:17 PM »

Thanks for your comment Hadge.
Importing the Silver Fox from Las Vegas has cost me (so far!) 121, including P&P.  That compares well with buying any 2.5-metre kite in the UK (whether boutique or commercial).  OK, so I still have to discover whether there will be duty or tax added when Royal Mail actually deigns to deliver it!
We'll see.   I'll let you know!.

(added 5pm GMT, 17 Nov)
Hmm.   Well the principle's good.    Except that the carrier has now informed me that it's probably lost in transit!   So my 121 is currently down the drain instead of up in the air ...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:58 AM by Old Greebo » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum