GWTW Forum
July 28, 2014, 09:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another beginners question...  (Read 2943 times)
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: November 15, 2010, 05:19 PM »

So, I went out and flew my new kite in the fog yesterday... just practicing low wing flying and coin tosses and such... but my kite got soaked to the bone.. is that okay? I didn't know if the kite getting super wet was good for it or if I should stop flying in the rain and fog...? I'm just trying to get as much air time as possible... :-( also... if wet... should I then take it out and dry it off when I get home so as not to store it all wet and rolled up? ... sorry if this should be common sense.. just don't wanna chance messing up mu new Talon so figured I better ask the pro's :-)

Thanks
Shane

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 05:35 PM »

It's absolutely alright! Almost all the sail materials we use were developed for sails for boats and windsurfer rigs, so they're perfectly happy getting wet.
Definitely take it out of the bag to dry though - mold is a pain to get off kites. You should dry it fully assembled to ensure that the dacron or other nylon pieces maintain the proper shape.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 06:20 PM »

Some have also been known to take their dirty kites into the shower for a cleaning - it works great, the kite looks all new again.

I've even heard of folks that apply conditioner to the sail (I have not tried that one).

-Tom

6 kite tom
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 09:03 PM »

If your kites are nylon they should be assembled to dry.

Also, some Icarex colors do bleed if put up wet. Yellow and Plum for two. It is no problem to get kites wet (good think since my Debray took a dip in the Gulf a couple of days ago) but just be sure to pull out to dry when you get home. If salt water I like to rinse thoroughly.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 11:03 PM »

OK two statements saying to leave Nylon kites assembled, what about Polyester kites?

It seems counter intuitive to me since Nylon expands when wet, the sail may end up quite baggy, is there no chance that by leaving it under tension while drying the fabric may remain in its stretched state? What if the pilot re-tensioned a Nylon sail when wet or damp, as the nylon drys and shrinks back to its original state won't it become overly stressed?

Since Polyester doesn't change when wet it seems that you would be safe leaving a Polyester kite assembled though.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
stapp59
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 04:22 AM »

For washing I normally have the kite assembled but detension the LEs and standoffs. Rinse thoroughly with a hose and spot clean with mild soap or mineral spirits.  Don't forget to spray water through the LE tunnels.  Sand and salt water gets everywhere.

Lean it up against a wall to dry a few hours. YMMV.
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 04:38 AM »

For washing I normally have the kite assembled but detension the LEs and standoffs. Rinse thoroughly with a hose and spot clean with mild soap or mineral spirits.  Don't forget to spray water through the LE tunnels.  Sand and salt water gets everywhere.

I agree with that de-tension is a must, I usually dip my dirty kite in the pool, spot clean with mild detergent, then rinse in the pool again, air dry

Not sure I would use something as strong as mineral spirits especially on colors

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

tempest

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 05:15 AM »

I have both nylon and polyester sails. Occasionally when they are dirty, and get washed ,i leave them assembled but detensioned , by leaving out the upper spreader, loosen the leading edges, and if the kite has two stand offs, disconnect the one next to the spine, if only one, leave off, then stand up to dry.
stapp59
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 08:10 AM »

Mineral spirits are good for removing oil based items such as tar, some adhesives, and some inks. I've had Icarex poly quite wet and scrubbed using a soft cloth with no noticeable adverse effects to the coating or cloth.

I would NOT try lacquer thinner and would expect bad results.  Now I'm curious and will try this on some scraps this evening....
tempest

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 11:19 AM »

Mineral spirits only on spots like tar, otherwise just mild soap, period. I would not ,or ever use , lacquer thinners on my sails as it will have an adverse effect on it.   Cry  Cry
Old Greebo
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 11:41 AM »

So what's the verdict on stripping the sail off the spars, and chucking it in the washing machine along with my underwear?

...   and ironing it nice and flat afterwards?

(yes, I'm a newbie.  (OK, you've guessed!)   And despite the jocular approach, I'm really wondering what the answer is to both questions.)
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 01:21 PM »

I agree with that de-tension is a must, I usually dip my dirty kite in the pool, spot clean with mild detergent, then rinse in the pool again, air dry

Not sure I would use something as strong as mineral spirits especially on colors

in the pool with chlorine and other chemicals?

I rinse my sails off, detension the standoffs and then let air dry. I don't know if i would go so far as putting them in the washing machine. The washer we have now has no agitator in it but is supposedly super whiz bang and can handle a king size blanket but it has tied some of jeans in knots! I wouldnt trust my kites to it.

Sine Metu!
Hadge

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 01:58 PM »

So what's the verdict on stripping the sail off the spars, and chucking it in the washing machine along with my underwear?

...   and ironing it nice and flat afterwards?

(yes, I'm a newbie.  (OK, you've guessed!)   And despite the jocular approach, I'm really wondering what the answer is to both questions.)

NO and NO!!!!!! Really don't even think about it!  Huh

(All you need to do is a quick wash down with warm water and a sponge  Wink)

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 02:20 PM »

Yep, NO to the washing machine, too harsh, wadding the fabric up like that may damage the coatings on some fabrics and they tend to wrinkle badly and ironing will not remove those wrinkles from Nylon or Polyester.

As everybody has mentioned, just leave it mostly together and hose it, dip it or shower with it if you don't worry about what the neighbors will say. And as most people have preferred, leave the kite together but untensioned by removing the stand-offs and possibly loosening the leading edge tensioners, but that isn't really a big worry unless it's a lite or ultra lite kite, then I would relieve the leading edges since they are possibly made of 1.5 oz Nylon.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Old Greebo
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 02:27 PM »

<<NO and NO!!!!!! Really don't even think about it!  Huh>

Yes, I really AM a newbie!  Thanks for the no-no!
Mind you, it would never even have occured to me to iron the sails of my dad's sailing dinghy when I was a teenager!  Perhaps Alzheimers is rearing its ugly head ...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document