GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 05:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for long time kiters  (Read 2086 times)
firecsi
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: November 14, 2010, 08:02 AM »

What is the best way to find out what kind of winds are in an area you what to fly. The weather reports on TV news and the weather Channel don't seem to work to well. Is there a web site or network out there for kiters.

Any information would be a great help.

Tobie

I live, I fly, I am
Bodega Bay Flyer
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 08:50 AM »

I use the Bodega Bay Bouy
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46013
There's more information there than I know what to do with. I have made the mistake of just looking at the wind forecast and neglected the rain part.
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 09:21 AM »

I use the airport readings and subtract 5 mph for my kite field. The hourly history gives me a feel how the winds have been trending - usually from sucky to suckier.

Link follows for Walla Walla, but you can search for an airport near you:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/pdt/common/displayTextObs.php?sid=ALW&num=24

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 10:50 AM »

http://mesowest.utah.edu/index.html

select all networks and find the station closest to your field, they update hourly.

I also use www.weather.com and select "show hourly" and then the next tab

Rx
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 11:25 AM »

My "usual" kite field is less than 1 mile from the house.

So, whatever the wind is at my house, that's what it will be at the field.

You might have a field near you that isn't optimal, but it is close. In that case, just go to the close field whenever the winds are best at your abode.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
firecsi

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 11:48 AM »

Thanks to you all for the information, I will use all of it.

Tobie

Tobie

I live, I fly, I am
Turkey9186
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 01:11 PM »

I use this website. Personal/home based weather instruments that download to the 'net.  The link will bring up the Fairfield/Travis area.  It is a Google map overlay, so you can zoom and move to other areas.
http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=38.28578949&lon=-122.01030731&zoom=10&pin=Fairfield%2c%20CA

Jerry
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 03:00 PM »

Wunderground has nice wind graphs. You can look at the wind characteristics over several days or weeks and at various times of the year and get a feel for what the norm is.

Allen, AKA kitehead
photomom

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 03:08 PM »

I use this site for wind updates and predictions.  It's pretty accurate and covers the entire country.  Just select your region and it will show several sites for wind readings.

kjm

www.windmapper.com

Wink

kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 04:01 PM »

I look out the window, and check the tree's on the path to the beach

In Tucson I would drive over to the field (about a mile and a half) and check the wind, I normally have a kite that will fly, if not I will power walk around the place for my cardio work out and pretend I was leaving...the wind always picks up when you start to leave

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

the*real*stoney
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 05:04 PM »

Flying inland is tricky. I have been flying in Central VA for 25 years and I spent a lot of weekends trying to figure out the local winds during those years. We don't have a wide choice of places to fly -  lots of trees and low winds along with thermals which slide across constantly, changing wind directions as they float  past. Frustrating.

The best system I have come up with is this - First- look outside to determine if there is any wind. Check two weather stations to determine wind speed and direction.
If the wind is coming from the SW, S or I will go to a park with exposure from those directions. East- another location with Eastern exposure. West, South and Southwest- yet another location. NE - forget it.

Stoney

locations with   

edited to removed way too many empty lines. Il Duce
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:13 PM by chilese » Logged
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 10:21 PM »

I use Wunderground... which has the same info as any of the other sites. But what I also do is look for known patterns. For example, I know if the winds are shown to be 2-3 from 9am-1pm and 6-7mph from 2-5pm at my local flying field then the winds are going to pick up as it gets cooler in the evening. I also know that winds are going to be around 4mph that evening... not the 6-7 listed. The only time it would be above 10mph is when it's listed 12-15mph. I also look for things like wind picking up before a store. I know that the front is going to move strong winds into the area so those 10-12mph winds are then going to be pretty accurate.

It's just kind of a "feel for things" that is developed with experience. But I'd say the main thing I look for when they say winds will pick up is a temp change and/or bad weather moving in.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 10:55 PM »

Get an indoor kite as well as your standards and then go to the field to fly no matter the wind. It's all fun. Smiley

6 kite tom
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 07:38 AM »

Of course none of these resources can give a complete picture off the quality of wind. A chart might show variable direction and variable force, but with hourly samples that doesn't always tell you how flyable things are. Of course the site itself influences wind quality  a lot. What kind of terrain is upwind makes a huge difference.

Allen, AKA kitehead
firecsi

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 08:03 AM »

Wow I want to thank you all for such great information. I am so happy i came across this site. You are all very nice people and i hope to fly with and meet you all some day.

Tobie
I will use all of this info.

Tobie

I live, I fly, I am
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change