GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 12:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some kites I've built  (Read 1595 times)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: November 16, 2010, 01:52 PM »

a couple of kites I've completed...

B'zar (2010)

(Vortex)

Thorback II (85% of original with my own sail pattern)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 02:20 PM »

I'd love to give these a spin - let me know next time you are headed out to the hill.

Sharp looking - I really like the B'zar - is that mylar?

-Tom

6 kite tom
sugarbaker

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 08:50 PM »

Hey Tom,
those are mylar panels... I've only had the B'zar out once, and it was hit-or-miss at the hill that day, so I've yet to really form an opinion about how it flies.  I probably won't have much chance to be out until after Thanksgiving, but I'll let you know if when I am (I'll have a couple more kites from the "Sugarbaker work shop" at that time also).

I gave the vortex away to a friend, but I liked it so much I fully intend to build another.  I'll see if I can get it done in the 3 weeks or so... maybe a lofty goal, but worth a shot.  'til later,

Stephen
Ang3lFir3
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 09:44 PM »

I really like your panels on the Thornback II .... really want to give this kite a go and would like to learn to build my own. Wondering if maybe someday (certainly after the holidays) you might have the time to get together and maybe have some pointers on building one? I might even wonder if you might be interesting in building one for someone?

Of course I would like to hear your thoughts on the Thornback and how it handles out here in the Pudget Sound.... very intrigued by possibilities....

sugarbaker

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 10:05 PM »

so, I will admit that I made a mistake with the Thornback... by building it at 85%, I don't think I have done the kite justice as to how good it probably is at full scale.  I have not had a lot of time flying it, but have not connected with it as I hoped I would.  I do like the design, so I think at some point I'll give it another go at full scale. 

All that being said, I believe I may try another bridle for this smaller version to see if I can get a little more enjoyment out of it.

As for building for someone, this is something I would do very selectively and with strings attached (I've discussed this with a specific person who reads this forum on occasion and the circumstances are different than what you are asking). I think for matters of this topic I will politely refuse to build kites for others at this time. 

Discussing what it takes to build a kite is another story though, and I'd love to share what I know.  It should be noted that there is a learning curve, and I have progressed significantly over the 5 or 6 kites I've made.  While my kites are getting better with each new build, I also make new mistakes with each one; probably why I enjoy the hobby so much. 

Do remind me after the holidays that you're interested in meeting up sometime.  This hobby lends itself to a little bit of bragging and I love to show off my kites.  I should have a few more in my arsenal to show by that time.  Thanks for lookin'!

Stephen
positivo

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 03:15 AM »

Hey Sugarbaker, I just added a picture of your kite to Werners webpage
Yesterday I had some nice time with both the 2009 and 2010 models on the beach here in Belgium.
Pretty sure you will like flying the 2010!
inewham
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 04:03 AM »

That B'zar looks stunning  Cool

so, I will admit that I made a mistake with the Thornback... by building it at 85%, I don't think I have done the kite justice as to how good it probably is at full scale.

IME when scaling a kite down you need to add a bit of depth to the sail (more billow / longer standoff). The Thornback is a pretty flat sail by modern standards to begin with so will almost certainly need it.

I imagine scaled down it will get pretty skittish, the original plan was only a .85 size kite to begin with (150cm leading edge) even though it feels bigger.

As for building for someone, this is something I would do very selectively and with strings attached (I've discussed this with a specific person who reads this forum on occasion and the circumstances are different than what you are asking).

Since the question was about the Thornback and since I remember someone getting niggly about building for someone else a while back...
I'd just like to say as the author of that plan any amateur kite builder has my permission to do what they like with the plan including charging someone else for building it.
Anyone who wants to complain saying that's commercial use should understand that the plan was put under cc solely to deter commercial kitemakers i.e. factories from knocking it off. You know, the kind of outfit that pushes 'Revs' on ebay...

sugarbaker

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 09:37 AM »

thanks for the complements.  (and I am looking forward to putting more hours on the B'zar... although it is snowing at the moment so I don't know when I might get the chance!)

Ian, I appreciate that the Thornback was a smaller kite to begin with... it is only the second kite I had built (at the time) and my work space was limited enough that I thought I could get away with a further reduction.  You are right that the kite is a bit skittish as I have constructed it.  It's nice to hear that this is the typical (or expected) result of scaling down the plan.

Your input has definitely prompted me to give the kite another go at the larger size. 
werner

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 12:21 AM »

Did you already had a chance to fly your B'zar? I'm intrested in your "review" If you have any remarks or questions, please feel free! If you give me some details about your maiden-flight I will try to help you finetuning your B'zar because often some minor changes determine its behaviour.
sugarbaker

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 02:35 AM »

I have only flown the B'zar once... in 1-2mph wind.  I tend to be a fair weather flyer, so when the weather gets better, I'll get it out and give it a more thorough trial. It could be a few months (but I'm looking forward to it).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document