GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 05:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hawaiian Team Kite  (Read 3157 times)
flyjay77
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 29, 2010, 03:33 PM »

I never owned one of these kites so I jumped on it and got one of the aftermarket ones that into the wind was selling a while back . Its not the total same kite I dont think. heres my issue .

the kite flies like crap. I did move the bridles around a bit and got it tuned in better than it was but its still a dog . its a big heavey kite but even in a strong wind it is light on the lines and stalls in turns . I flew many of them in the late 80's but never owned on and I remember them flying better than this one .

Is there any trick to be done to this kite to make it fly better , and doese anyone have the stock spars sizes , Is it the same spreader bars as in the spin-off?

Jason,

Edit: just respelling the thread title to make searching easier in the future - zippy8
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 04:29 AM by zippy8 » Logged

Jason Pearson
Shorline Park Mt. View Ca.
1987-1990 pilot
ancnthiflr
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 09:58 PM »

I think the original fabric, plus the way it was cut and sewn, then stretched as it got flown, makes a difference in it's flyability. The current combination of polyester and carbon spars may take longer to "break -in", but then it will last longer as well. My favorite hawaiian team kite was actually a 3/4 maui with an old stretched out sail. it was framed in pulltrude carbon though. Just my opinion.... i only know old school kites, and only a few at that.
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 10:36 PM »

Pulled this info from the database

btw  Both my team kites, one original and a recent remake from Pam and Mike both fly great

TOTL
Hawaiian Kites

Kite
WINGS  Material  SPINE Material  LWsPRDR  Material  UPSPRDR Material BATTENS Material STNDOFF Material

Team
65.0   .350FG     32.5   .350FG     32.5      .337FG      22.0     .337FG    51.5     .278FG       9.0      3/32FGR

'95 Spin-Off
65.0  SKYSK6.3  32.5  SKYSK6.3   32.5    SKYSK6.3    22.0    SKYSK6.3   N/A      N/A           9.0    3/32FGR

'96 Spin-Off
65.0 .240GRPH   32.5  .240GRPH   32.5   .240GRPH      22.0   .240GRPH    N/A       N/A         9.0      3/32FGR

Maui
50.25 .278FG    24.75  .350FG      25.0   .278FG         17.0    .278FG       39.0   .278FG      13.5    3/32FGR

'95 Maui
49.0  SKYSK6.3  24.75  SKYSK6.3   25.0  SKYSK6.3     17.0    SKYSK6.3   39.0   .278FG       14.0    3/32FGR

'96 Maui
49.0 .240GRPH   24.75  .240GRPH     25.0   .240GRPH      17.0   .240GRPH    39.0    .278FG    14.0   3/32FGR

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 10:48 PM by kiteking » Logged

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

flyjay77

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 09:17 PM »

Thank you everyone for the tips and help . I am sure that it jsut needs a little tweaking and flying . The ones that I flew as a Kid all had thicker / stiffer stand offs that was a mod. I have not done yet . also I might add I am flying it with 100' line. 200lb. ,

Jason,

Jason Pearson
1987-1990 pilot
flyjay77

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 10:08 PM »

:-\just a little updaye if anyone is still reading this  Wink I went out today and flew the Team kite , last week was 10-15 gusty ,
Today was 15-25 , more in the 20-25 range and the kite did a lot better , could use a little more bridle tweaking but was like a whole nother kite than from last week in lighter winds . lost one of the little stand offs . but I plan on replacing them anyhow .

Jason Pearson
1987-1990 pilot
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 11:54 AM »

Either you still have serious bridle problems or your wind meter is way off. 20-25 mph? that Hawaiian should be dragging you all over the field and the nieghbors should be filing noise complaints. Or are we talking kph?

My guess is you have it set too light, bring your tow point down. I don't have a pure stock bridled Hawaiian anymore, both having been re-framed and adjusted to compensate. Maybe somebody can give you the stock measurements or I'll try to get mine out, I'm still close.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
flyjay77

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 06:11 PM »

DUDE , I was thinking the same thing when I first flew the kite . I flew my Spin Off with 150# line and was borderline and went to 200#. and the team kite I knew should have fulled my arms off but was lighter than the Spin off. I knew something was not out of wack some place . Thank you for the numbers and I now have something to shoot for . it never was the kite I rember , but with your guys help I hope too some time soon . thanks again

Jason,

Jason Pearson
1987-1990 pilot
flyjay77

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 02:23 PM »

Still working on my Team Kite . I have the bridles as good as its goign to get I think , although its still light on the lines . I was flying my Renagade and it was pulling as hard as the team kite today .. The frame is stock on the team kite and it seems a bit heavey and bows a lot . will replacing the frame with carbon fiber be the answer? I know it should lighten up and make the frame more ridgid . I am not giving up yet  Wink  can anyone give exact specs on there team kite ?  Cry

Jason Pearson
1987-1990 pilot
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 05:15 PM »

2540's were the choice back in the day. I did one of ours in Skyshark P400's you could go as light as the P200's using Skysharks or 1960's in pultruded. The center battens are ok or you could replace them, stiffness isn't a concern there and weight savings are negilible. Leading edges, spine and spreaders are all 32.5" making it a simple change except you will have to fabricate a new Center T. APA's will work for the speader to leading edges and are much nicer then those vinyls, Steve will hook you up with those, the right knocks and end caps for whatever spars you choose. Have him cut you a slightly longer ferrel for the Center T, there's a lot of stress there 4.5" - 5" might be better then the standard 4" T Ferrel. I can help you with the Center T if you need, although it looks like if you used a 2540 for the spine or another Skyshark ferrel as an insert with a Skyshark spine you might be able to use the FSD 6mm leading edge connector as the Center T but that will require Skyshark Spreaders since you will not get an external ferrel through it easily to use 2540 spreaders. You'll have to shorten the spine a bit with the FSD as a center T if you go with the Skyshark spine.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 05:36 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
flyjay77

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 05:59 PM »

The Kite is Stock, other than the stand offs I am using fiberglass rods , and the spine is off an old spin off with the spin off T from 1989 or so .... Just not what I want it to be now but I know it is in there someplace . Just have to find it  Angry

Jason Pearson
1987-1990 pilot
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document