GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 10:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home made vented kite...Ouch.  (Read 4433 times)
kitesyoyos
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 16, 2010, 05:55 PM »

Good day,
Saw this 'home made vented' kite on the Australian ebay. I had a good laugh...Holes are not reinforced!
I love the hole at the spine....
It is amazing to see it get bids...Thanks  st3307 for copying and enlarging the picture for me.,

Have a good day,
Cheers,
Martin.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 06:31 PM by kitesyoyos » Logged
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 06:03 PM »

there  ya   go    Bro  Grin

Good air always Bobby
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 06:23 PM »

I seem to recall someone from here venting his Quantum. Never saw how that project turned out...
I would think a soldering iron would be the best way to vent a non-vented kite ?

kitesyoyos

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 06:36 PM »

I imagine the soldering iron would work....I'd want to be using a very old kite though : )
I'd love to see other "home made vented" kites if people have pictures,
Cheers,
martin
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 06:46 PM »

I would imagine that reinforcing the holes with tedlar tape and then using a shaped tool heated from a soldering iron or hotknife ( we actually found a kit based on woodburning which gets hot but not soldering hot ) could be used to create venting in regularly non vented kites. Of course not something I would practice on a boutique kite.

It is an interesting idea. However I would def say the example above is a poor one indeed.

p.s. I believe I saw the shaped tool technique on some kite building blog... maybe it was Ian Newham's (sp?) ?
glider

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 07:09 PM »

tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 07:37 PM »

Spar punched through the sail of kite? Cut out larger and sell on ebay.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 07:45 PM »

Here was my attempt at venting (in-between a std and mid-vent in feel):

Clickable Link:

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 07:47 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 07:58 PM »

Hey John,
I thought that I saw that someone had done that to a Rev. Very similar, this is my vented Nebula...

Looked like they were made by a round, hot pokey thing. I think the many small vents idea makes for handling very similar to the standard, but gives you another 5mph to do tricks in.
~Rob.

Hadge

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 02:21 AM »

I seem to recall someone from here venting his Quantum. Never saw how that project turned out...
I would think a soldering iron would be the best way to vent a non-vented kite ?

Oh Oh I know this!!...I've just vented an HQ Jive and without bragging it's come out really well.

Ok, First you need to completely strip the kite of all spars and fittings.
Lay the sail down and make a template of one half of the kite sail in the area you're going to vent on something transparent clearly marking the leading edge and the spine - I used 4 sheets of A4 transparency paper taped together.

Tape this to your sail. Next cut out some 2" paper circles (I used 6)  and place them on the template until you are happy with the position and then glue them in place on the template.

Next get hold of some sail repair tape – I used 70mm ( 2 3/4”) and cut out 2 x 2” circle’s of tape for each paper circle you’ve used on the template.

Next get a bright light source – I used a crafters ‘light box’ borrowed from my wife – and shine the light through the sail from the front (template side) so that the paper circles show through on the back as dark circles. Carefully put 1 circle of repair tape over each shadow on the back of the kite then take the template off and shine the light from the back of the kite and stick a further piece of tape on the front of the sail exactly over the piece on the back. Now flip the template over and repeat for the other half of the sail. You should now have 3 layers – tape, sail, tape for each circle.   This bit sounds much more complicated than it is  - when you actually do it it’s obvious and easy. Let the repair tape cure overnight.

Next get a soldering iron – I used a old 25W one and filed the old bit in it to a knife edge. Get a piece of steel sheet ( or I’m told glass works too) and a 1 ½” steel washer.

Put the circles of tape on  the sheet one at a time nice and flat  (use weights to hold the sail in place). Place the washer in the middle of each circle and with the hot iron cut around the washer – make sure you go through all 3 layers but don’t let the iron stay in one place to long.  When you’ve gone all the way round lift off the washer and it should come away with a circle of tape and sail stuck to it and you should have a neat hole  in your sail. Repeat this for each hole.  I haven’t sewn around the holes as they seem fine without – the iron seals all 3 layers together.

When you have done re-assemble your kite and wait for some windy weather! You might want to upgrade your LE’s , I used one piece 6mm.

Please note you do this entirely at your own risk and I can’t guarantee the results but mine worked fine. Don’t do it on any kite you particularly value!!

It’s all easier than it sounds. I’ll try and post a photo of the finished kite later.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 05:35 AM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 05:30 AM »

I have seen the European kitemakers vent their kites on purpose as much as needed with their handy rollup handing out of their mouth (a cig for those confused)....just touch the skin in all of the places you want....works on single lines as well as sport kites...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 07:23 AM »

There's a photo out there somewhere of Ken McNeill attacking a kite with a boxcutter  Huh It had to be done but its a painful sight  Cheesy

Another idea was using a hot tin can

I've taken existing kites and quickly taped/sewn on a layer of mesh and a layer of ripstop then cut away all but the mesh, a bit like doing appliqué.

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 10:49 AM »

Good day,
Saw this 'home made vented' kite on the Australian ebay. I had a good laugh...Holes are not reinforced!
I love the hole at the spine....

That's not a vented kite, it's a kite with holes in the sail...

Allen, AKA kitehead
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 12:25 PM »

The title says it all. Ouch, haha.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
stapp59
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 07:09 PM »

It was windy that day and I had a pair of scissors and  Huh  Made a good experiment.  As Ian mentioned, screening is good  Cheesy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum