GWTW Forum
July 28, 2014, 01:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vented HQ Jive  (Read 1676 times)
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 17, 2010, 04:32 AM »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56041081@N06/5184466440/#

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 05:32 AM »

looks good! nice job!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
badcloud
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 08:38 PM »

had no idea the JIVE from HQ was vented
awesome looking kite
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 06:34 AM »

had no idea the JIVE from HQ was vented
awesome looking kite
its not.....at least most are not...Hadge did a great job venting this one though!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
badcloud
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 09:14 PM »

wow - thanks for the tech info -

so how does this lovely kite do in stronger winds 15 mph or so

i have a custom tramantona vented -- would be curious
scott
Hadge

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 04:17 AM »

Hi Scott,

I'm glad you like my kite! it's the first time I've tried anything like that and it came out much better than I could have hoped for.

Basically, the kite flies pretty much like the standard Jive except that everything moves up 5mph.  It needs around 10mph to get going, by 14-18 mph it's really in it's stride, a reasonably light but positive pull.  Most standard Jive tricks are still available up to about 18mph with a bit of foot work. By 20mph tricks are getting difficult- but thats probably true for most vented kites- but it's still good fun scooting around the skies up to at least 25mph ( The most I've flown it in so far). 

Apart from the venting ( based on the HQ Infinity vented pattern) the other mods are:

2nd  standoff fitted 7cm closer to the spine.
Leading edge uprated from 2 piece 5mm to 1 piece 6mm.
Extra tail weight - at the moment around 30grms total.

I'm still fine tuning the bridle settings but I'm pretty pleased with it so far.

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 07:23 AM »

Great job with this venting project ! Any thoughts on a few big vents vs. A 'hole' lot of little ones ? There must be a reason you put your holes where you did... Was it for looks, or a more scientific reason ?
-rob

Hadge

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 09:21 AM »

Nothing scientific! just pure dumb luck!

I'd been thinking about venting the Jive for a while. The pattern was copied from the HQ Infinity vented - HQ know more about designing kites than me and the tests I've read on the Infinity Vented say it has more or less the same flying characteristics as the standard Infinity, so the venting must have been pretty good.

I also wanted a way of re-enforcing the holes without sewing- I can't sew!- so the sail repair tape seemed the way to go.  I just put some paper circles on my template until it looked OK and then stuck them on.

I know Flying Wings use lots of small holes on one of their vented kites, but each hole has sewn re-enforcement which seems a lot of work.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document