GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 06:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What weight fabric to use  (Read 1533 times)
greenbulletblues
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 19, 2010, 02:22 PM »

I need some help on fabric.  I am building a SLK that is 8 ft. in diameter and has some 4 ft. long wings coming off of that. The circle will be supported in 8 places. I built one kite previously with ripstop nylon from Joann Fabric and I had to add bias tape across it and around the outside to add strength to the nylon. Joann Fabric does not list the weight of their nylon. So, with the kite dimension above, what weight fabric should I use?  Is there any rule of thumb to kite size and the weight of the fabric?
inewham
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 02:37 PM »

Is Joann Fabric a shop that sells normal clothing type fabrics? Is their ripstop nylon coated?

Personally my experience is almost all dual line but I only use fabrics designed for sailmaking rather than the ripstop used for making garments. A .75oz coated ripstop is much more stable than the garment ripstops I've seen.

I like Chikara but North, Bainbridge, Kayospruce and Porche Marine are all nice .75oz ripstops

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 04:42 PM »

On a kite that size the weight of the fabric isn't that critical .60 - 1.5 oz will work just fine. The color saturation on the 1.5 oz is often better so you might consider it unless weight is a great concern. The standard is the. 75 oz and it wll suit any kite well.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
greenbulletblues

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 11:19 AM »

Thanks for the responses.  Joann Fabric is clothing fabric store.  Their ripstop is coated and OK for tails or small kites, but I didn't think it was strong enough for the larger kites.  I'm going to buy some fabric from a reputable kite site to build this one.
Thanks again.
Texanpilot
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 05:09 PM »

On my first few kite projects, I used the Joann's ripstop.   I'm not going to do that again.
Compared to sail fabrics, it's not coated, and as you learned, it stretches horribly while you're working with it. 

You'll be pleasantly surprised how easy real sailcloth is to work with in comparison. 

Steady winds, y'all.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 06:05 PM »

yo bullet blues...where do you live?HuhHuhHuh

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 07:50 AM »

Joann Fabric is clothing fabric store.  Their ripstop is coated and OK for tails or small kites, but I didn't think it was strong enough for the larger kites.
I don't think it is coated and I think you will see that there is a big difference between coated and uncoated RS nylon. There is a lot of stretch in the uncoated stuff.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
greenbulletblues

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 06:47 AM »

thief,

I up-dated my profile.  I live in Birmingham, AL.  As for stating that the Joann Fabric was coated, I painted on the fabric, won't do that again. Some of the paint did not stick and I read that it was from the teflon coating.  Doesn't matter now, I will not paint again and from what I've read here, I will not use Joann Fabric again. The diamond kite shown is the one that I previously built and painted.

Thanks again for the responses.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 01:00 PM »

thief,

I up-dated my profile.  I live in Birmingham, AL.  As for stating that the Joann Fabric was coated, I painted on the fabric, won't do that again. Some of the paint did not stick and I read that it was from the teflon coating.  Doesn't matter now, I will not paint again and from what I've read here, I will not use Joann Fabric again. The diamond kite shown is the one that I previously built and painted.

Thanks again for the responses.
ah I was going to say that if you were int he New England area I might have a present for you....a little too far though...

You are learning!  That what matters.....Have you happened to find the other kite forum???the one that has the initials of KB and is all about building stuff that looks like kites??

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
inewham
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 01:25 PM »

As for stating that the Joann Fabric was coated, I painted on the fabric, won't do that again. Some of the paint did not stick and I read that it was from the teflon coating.

Garment ripstops are often treated to make them shed water, sail fabrics are impregnated with some sort of plastic (polyester for Icarex, not sure what they use on nylon) under very high pressures. You end up with a a sort of thin plastic coating over the fabric which apart from anything else helps stop it stretching.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography