GWTW Forum
July 26, 2014, 12:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Las Vegas Fun fly 11/26?  (Read 4325 times)
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: November 19, 2010, 03:15 PM »

I had PM'ed some people a few weeks ago about wanting to get down to LV for a fun fly. My plans changed but now they seemed to have opened back up (a good thing).... with a crunch on the time frame. I'm wonder if anyone would want to get together Friday 11/26, the day after Thanksgiving for a fun fly.

It seems like the Friday evenings might be getting a little chilly but it appears that people are still flying Friday in the evening? Since many people will have Friday off I'm wondering if anyone might want to start flying around 1pm.

I'm hoping we have some takers as I'd really like to get down there before winter sets in.

Can anyone tell me if there might be room to put up some larger SLK, yea, nay or does it depend on people using the field?

Please post asap as I would need to make hotel reservations.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 03:20 PM »

I can't make it, I have to wait for the cable guy that day..hope to have the internet working by noon so I can see pictures from your fun fly

MikeM
Brookings, OR

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 10:50 PM »

I'll be down there...

Others more local have told me they will too.

Field appears to me certainly large enough to fly large SLK's
I haven't seen anybody fly them though in the 5-6 times i've been there.

I've heard the wind lately hasn't been real condusive for large kites though, but you never know.

I always have a good time regardless of the wind conditions.

weather: It's kinda funny to watch some of those guys huddling around little propane heaters while i run around in my t-shirt.  Cheesy I guess it depends what weather you're used to.

I'm expecting 5-12" of snow here this weekend, so i'm looking forward to some warm LV weather.

Hope to see you there.  PM if you need more info to find it.
tcope

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 11:01 PM »

PM sent.

Anyone getting out there early.... in the afternoon on Friday? It's a 6 hour drive (I'd need to leave around 6am) so I'd like to get in as much flying as possible. Plus, it would be warmer in the afternoon!

(I figure a few people would have Thursday and Friday off)

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 12:57 AM »

Kent said he would be there. Darren also.

I may be there. But if not, would be available to fly on the weekend.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
fidelio

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 11:21 AM »

the group which huddles around the heaters won't be there. they're going off to the desert to ride atv's. i could definitely be talked into going earlier while the sun is still up. dano is right though, the wind has been really flaky. 0-15mph, but either 0 or either 15, no in between. :p

if you have the breeze, there's room to fly big kites. if they're up, we just fly sport kites underneath. day after thanksgiving i'd imagine the soccer players won't show up so there'd be more room than you'd have kites, especially during the day.

maybe kent will chime in here, but if it's just kent and i from the local set, i'd rather at least start during the day, as it's dark here at 5pm now.

the chance for wind though on one day specific day of the week this time of year though i'd say is about 1 in 7.

Fdeli
tcope

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 11:40 AM »

I'm hoping with the flaky temps this time of year that the winds will be pretty good for at least part of the day.

I'm glad to hear that so many people are interested! I have an email out to another person here to see if he wants to join me. Right now I plan on leaving SLC around 6am and getting down there around 1pm.

I'll load the truck up with some stuff to accommodate what ever is going on.

I'm really looking forward to this! Hope my friend can go as it will make the drive much easier.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Dano

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 06:30 PM »

the group which huddles around the heaters won't be there.
Sad I always enjoyed chatting with Marty.

i could definitely be talked into going earlier while the sun is still up.
Smiley Me too, but i'll still stay till they turn off the lights!  Smiley

reddobie
Trade Count: (+32)

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 09:12 PM »

I have not been to the field for 4 to 6 weeks, but I can make it that day.

Dano

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 10:24 PM »

I have not been to the field for 4 to 6 weeks, but I can make it that day.

That would be nice !!!
Dont forget a cigar!  Wink , if not for you at least.
CyaSoon

edit: if not, don't worry... i'll have enough kites & cigars to cover you in either case buddy.  ; Cool
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:33 PM by Dano » Logged
tcope

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 11:09 PM »

Good deal... now I'm _really_ excited about this fly! My friend declined to go as he just got back from LV but I'm still trying to talk him into the trip. Free transportation and lodging and I still can't get someone to go (which is typical).

I know it's going to be on the chilly side but 1) it's got to beat the 2" of snow I've gotten so far tonight and the snow that will be falling over the next 3 days and 2) that is why they make long underwear.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
tcope

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 01:52 PM »

Unless anyone wants to come over to my house and fly....

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 12:58 PM »

I should be out there, perhaps I can put up some of my own giants as well.  Pray for good wind! Smiley

tcope

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 09:31 PM »

I made my hotel reservations... staying at the Ramada off Flamingo Rd.

I'm hoping to leave here around 6am. We currently have a Weather Advisory for a blizzard (hitting right now) with temps dropping into the 10's as highs. Something about packing up kites for a fun fly when it's snowing and freezing outside. Still, I'll take 50 degrees above what is outside my house right now.

Hoping to see some people out there in the afternoon. I'm packing some heavy cloths for the evening. Winds look to be good but dropping off starting around 6 or 7pm (between 4pm and 10pm the wind shifts 180 degrees). So I think the best winds will be before then (around 5mph).

I'm looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone in LV. I've been wanting to get down there and fly. Bundle up and come on out!

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
fidelio

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 10:30 PM »

got good news one of our group, an estranged friend & flyer, will be up from pheonix.

dano, any chance you could pack up a pint of your homebrew for my brother? i let it slip you were a brewmeister and he lives for the stuff.

Fdeli
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document