GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 10:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Las Vegas Fun fly 11/26?  (Read 4112 times)
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 07:52 PM »

Man... where does the time go! I meant to make a post and add some pictures but I just got sooooo very busy. So I'm sorry for not commenting earlier.

The trip down was a little long but not too bad. I thought about stopping in this town and looking around:

I've been to St George UT several time but never any further. Soon afterwards I got to the "interesting" part:

Very spectacular views. I soaked it all in because I was getting closer to my destination:

At this point... just flat land in the middle of no where:

But on to the flying! I finally found the park where the LV people why. At least to me, it was in an odd place. Nestled off the highway around some apartments was a very large park just perfect for kite flying. I did not see anyone so I thought I'd break out a dual liner to attract some attention. I guess picking the only spot under some high power electric lines will attract some attention as the group found me right away and we all got together.

The winds were light but we managed to find a few times when there was enough get some kites into the air:

Much of the time we spend hanging around and talking. I'll tell you... for me, this can be as much fun as flying and the LV group was no different. It's really good to just hang out and chat with other people who like flying. It was so much fun it went in into the evening:

Man... I was _really_ glad I got to get down and fly with the LV group. Really a bunch of GREAT people! I loved every minute of it!

After flying I got to my hotel. I wanted to try some place a little different for grub but was going to take it back to my room. My GPS found Nathans and I thought that would be good. I should have listened to the GPS when it told me "you are entering a restricted area" but at first I had no idea what this meant. A short while later I was on the strip. Darn! I quickly knew Nathans was not going to happen 45 minutes later and 3 blocks I finally managed to get out of there. Picked up some food and got a good night sleep.

The following day I was on my own. But the wind was better in the morning and I managed to get some kites up into the air:

The wind died down and I headed home. The drive home proved interesting. I don't recall the name of the area but there was a forest fire burning in a mountain range. Here is one picture:

Now here is a picture of 120 miles north of the fire:

From what I remember reading, this fire had been burning for about 2 months at that point. It was in the middle of no where and there was just no reason to spend the money to put it out. Nature starts fires all of the time. It's natural. When they don't threaten anything it's simply not worth putting them out... just containing them is enough.

I also saw a few other sights... one of which was a Batmobile type vehicle:

Yeah... don't ask me what that was all about. Smiley

As I said, I had a great time and I'm looking forward to the next time I can visit!

Oh... and here is what I came home to...

« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 08:00 PM by tcope » Logged

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2010, 07:42 PM »

It was a good time, thanks for sharing Todd.  Wink
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 12:32 PM »

It was an awesome time for sure!  Thanks for the pictures and for coming down.  You will have to do that more often, hopefully we can find a bit more wind and a little warmer. Smiley

Can't wait till next time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography