GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 06:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How I Met My Wife  (Read 6625 times)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« on: November 20, 2010, 01:16 AM »

There are quite a few couples who met because they were both into kiting. A very nice situation for sure. In my case I met my wife simply because I was a kiter. You could say we met because of WSIKF, but she wasn't there, had never even heard of it.

To start, I had actually met her once before, but that just serves to illustrate the influence of kiting. The first time our paths crossed there was no spark, we probably would have forgotten all about ever meeting each other. 

In early September 2000 I had just gotten back for an amazing week at WSIKF and went to dinner with a group of friends. I was describing the trip, the people and the event to an interested, or at least curious, group around a big table. A woman I had been introduced to a few months before was sitting across from me. She asked a few polite questions but was clearly thinking "what the hell is this guy talking about?". As we left the table she turned and I noticed for the first time what beautiful hair she had.

A week later, most of the same group met up again and She was there. The girl with all that gorgeous blond hair had been in my thoughts more than once during the week. I sort of jockeyed for position as we all came to the table and ended up sitting next to her. Yes, I was 36 years old and it gets worse. :-)

I don't recall anything about the dinner or anyone else at the table. We talked like old friends and new lovers all at the same time. At some point, feeling like a kid but in a very good way, I reached under the table and took her hand. She didn't even flinch, just held my hand like we'd been together 50 years. That very night we ended up walking on the beach under a full moon. September 15 2000.

The rest, as they say, is history. We were married on the beach September 15 2002.

Sometime after we had been a couple for a while we were talking about how we met. Amy agreed that there was nothing at all when we were first introduced. She had indeed forgotten all about me by the time we met again at dinner. She said it was the enthusiasm and passion with which I described the kite festival that caught her attention. She had no idea what I was talking about, but thought it was neat to see someone who was obviously getting so much out of their hobby, no matter how weird.

She too had thought of me before the next dinner and says she was the one jockeying for position to sit next to me. She recalled freezing and thinking ďOh my godĒ when I took her hand, but also remembers it felt like our hands were made for each other.

This year we celebrated 10 years together. Last weekend we had a belated anniversary getaway on the same beach we walked on that first night.

Early Thursday morning my beautiful wife Amy died in her sleep. We donít yet know why, but she had a number of serious health issues and was on a large number or medications.

Iím back to where I was 10 years ago, a single dad. But, I still have kiting and the healing power of wind and sky.
Deepest thanks to all my friends who have sent email or posted on Facebook.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Allen, AKA kitehead
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 01:38 AM »

...at times like this I wish I could find the words to express my sympathies...

You had what many of us dream of... and now you must deal with the loss. I hope all the warm memories of Amy will help you through this most difficult time, and those same memories bring a smile to your face when time permits.

Thinking of you,
Jynx

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 01:44 AM »

Short on words myself... I feel both joy and sadness reading your words.

My heart goes out to you Allen, deeply.

TK weeps for you both, me too.

We'll do our best to remember, enjoy every day and moment, whenever possible.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:51 AM by Kitelife » Logged

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 03:55 AM »

Allen:
We are very sorry to hear about losing your love.   Best of wishes for all of you out there in this time.   She will be watching you from the level of the kites forever.

r&b

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
RoyReed
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 04:12 AM »

Allen, we've never met other than in this forum but my thoughts and tears are with you.

Roy
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 04:44 AM »

Allen,

I was so sorry to hear about Amy's passing, then reading your words made me feel better knowing that you had such a great connection.

My thoughts and prayers are with you

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 04:58 AM »

One of my wife's best friends died last year from a hemorrhagic stroke. She was 52. She'd only been married a short time too - 10 years or less - but she and her husband were meant for each other. She spent a lot of years alone before she was married and I believe that the last years of her life was a blessing. It's a tragedy that I would never want to have to go through but the lives of her and her husband were enriched by knowing each other. I can't imagine what it must be like for you and there are no words to take the pain away but know that our thoughts are with you. 

Bob D.
mooniewife

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 05:05 AM »

Allen,   What a beautiful story you tell, it leaves no doubt as to what you were really passionate about.   What a gift each of you enjoyed.   You will never really lose Amy, as she is so obviously in your heart.    My heart goes out to you.   Holly
jaydub

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 05:18 AM »

Allen,

Much better to have 10 years of a wonderful loving relationship then a much longer one that's become mundane.

Nobody will ever be able to take away those 10 years away from you.

Our thoughts are with you.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 05:29 AM »

We were shocked when I read your post on facebook, speechless, although we've never met your family. Thanks for sharing, we feel more of a connection as we share your loss now. Our thoughts are with you Allen and your girls.

Mike & Rhonda

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 05:32 AM »

Allen,
Thank you for sharing the story of you two meeting, I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you guys had a great time together, I can't imagine what you're going through, but I wish you the strength to deal with this terrible blow.
~Rob. (obviously at a loss for words, too.)

Jeepster

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 06:03 AM »

Allen, my heart goes out to you.

-tom
stapp59
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 08:02 AM »

Sad Sad Sorry to hear Allen.  You tell a touching story.  In a world where we often take each other for granted, you obviously appreciated your wife.

Steve
John Welden

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 08:22 AM »

Alan,

You are an amazing person and I deeply hope you can keep pushing and live the rest of your life out the best you can.  

I'll be thinking of you when I'm out flying kites today.

John
kiteclique
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 08:26 AM »

Desperately sad news, my deepest sympathies.

-Frazer
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change