GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 11:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Android Phone  (Read 4572 times)
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: November 21, 2010, 09:46 AM »

I'm looking for opinions. If you were in the market, and limited to Verizon, what Android phone would get? Or would you wait for the iphone to come to Verizon?

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 10:45 AM »

Have been with Verizon for years and have had Iphone envy since Apple brought them out. The spotty AT&T coverage always kept me from switching though.  When the Droid X came out I went for it and have been happy so far.  Much better than anything I had before.  It's a hand held computer that takes phone calls. Very cool and no regrets.   Have not used an Iphone so cannot compare directly.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 12:26 PM »

I have the original Moto Droid & got Rhonda the Droid X, I am a little envious of hers but mine is a bit more open, smaller and robust feeling. The Droid 2 has improved the actual keyboard but frankly I don't use it even though I felt that was a requirement at the time. The new D2 got a reduced version of Motoblur though as does the X, does some cool things but reduces the openness of the pure Android OS on the D1

Depends on the features you want, the X is a media beast, both are great as info machines, both work great as tethers for a laptop on the go. The HTC Increadable is still a viable option and the amoled screen is nice. Today I would.get the X, but dual core 2 gig processors are on the horrizon... but then if you wait for the next tech you'll never get anything, as fast as this tech is changing. I am not an Apple fan so I won't say anymore on that.

Battery life on all of them is poor, surprisingly it appears the X is doing better then my D1 despite the larger screen and back light but I use the heck out mine every day and keep the GPS on, at Costco they will throw a car charger into the bundle if you don't have a micro usb charger already, the free case and handsfree is worthless though.

Love our 'Droids, voice input for almost anything typing not required, the Nav app is so totally awesome on these things I'll turn it on just to watch the birdseye view of the surrounding areas as I'm driving just to see what's on the other side of that fence or hill I can't see over. I even used it to see where I actually was on the last flight I took when I saw something particularly interesting (gps doesn't send only recieves, I marked the location for review). It remembers where I parked the car and gets me back, that can't be beat on an extended hike. I haven't gotten into any of the virtual reality apps yet but how cool are they? The camera on the X is amazing, it has features I would love to have on my real digital cam, the built in panorama/photostitch software is flawless and automatic. And touch and drag for the focus area while you're composing the shot, I see that is just now coming to a few cams. Read, edit & print MS Office and PDF's, access my home computers wirelessly from anywhere, watch my security cams. It even checks my heart rate to see if I really have to get out of bed. Use your Google Voice number so all calls go to every phone and add all those features, heck it's built in. My computers can't do what these phones can do and all of this at under 512 mb for the OS and applications, I'm so looking forward to Android 3 and a 6" - 10" tablet. I'd be tempted to get the Adroid Emulator for the PC's, I've been accepted as a Dev, and just run that if I had a touchscreen ... LOL

The PROBLEM is Google has one foot over the "Do not be evil" line with these things and is testing the waters, some of the apps have fully crossed the line IMO. Amazing convieniences but with the opportunity for amazing misuse, so far you can turn much of it off and the power switch still works to kill everything. I'm in the "We should be able to deny or block Permissions" school, but that is not an option yet. Read and watch those Permissions, read up on what it all means. Does a wallpaper really require access to the internet, your contact list, personal info, texts and phone calls? I think NOT, avoid it. There is no user manual for Android so you're on your own, I'm still discovering features that are available, some I haven't seen published anywhere yet.

posted from my droid, no tapatalk needed

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 02:15 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 02:05 PM »

I can't remember which one my wife had, but we eventually returned it for a more traditional cell phone. 

The device was a great little computer, but a terrible phone.  Usability was the biggest issue - just getting to the phone part and dialing a number took ridiculously long and was overly complex and "klunky".

I'll see if she remembers which model it was.  In any case, be sure to try using it as a phone in addition to its other cooler features when evaluating how well it works.

I really like the iPhone and these other devices, but am not yet willing to signup for a $2400+ contract - I just keep using my pay-as-you-go to the tune of about $200 per year.  Hopefully, some smart company will eventually come out with a fully internet capable device that costs around $250 with a data plan for $20/month total with voice over IP. 

6 kite tom
Windbag
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 02:52 PM »

Dwayne, I currently have the Droid X & am very satisfied.

I must say there are rough edges on any phone choices Iíve made in the past. I live on the coast so there are only small towns with spotty cell coverage from any of the carriers although AT&T seems to have the most towers. I had a Sony cell phone with MP3 player I used on AT&T for several years. When the iPhone 2  first came out a few years back I ordered one, used it & returned it at the end of the 30 day trial period. I liked several of the features but the real killer was that it disconnected calls from my house even though I had 3 bars of signal strength. There were several cities along the coast where the phone didnít work even though my old Sony worked there just fine. When the iPhone 4 came out I again ordered the phone & returned it at the end of the 30 day trial period last July. I had the 3G Microcell attached to my DSL & even with 4 bars of signal strength the calls at my house still disconnected.

The Droid X has Navigation, a turn by turn  Nav program you talk to & it speaks the turns to arrive at your destination. Itís free compared to the iPhone charging $10 per month for a comparable feature. The Droid X syncs your mail, contacts & calendar with Gmail for free while the iPhone program costs you $100 per year to synch. Photos on the Droid show you the filename where the iPhone shows only a thumbnail to select the pix to view. MP4 videos on the 4Ē Droid X are more impressive than the smaller LCD on the  iPhone. I only have 3 bars of signal at my house but have never had a disconnected call in the 5 months since I got the Droid. My Droid plays all flash videos on the Internet while Apple says they will never play flash. I carry MS Office files like PDF, .doc & Excel spreadsheets on my Droid & can open any of them just fine. I couldnít do that on my iPhone or iPod Touch.

The iPhone is a little nicer the way it handles playlists in iTunes. Synching the iPhone to songs & videos on my PC synched all items while on the Droid I have to drag & drop manually to update the phone. iTunes synched my MS Outlook contacts & calendar directly to the iPhone. I had to export & create contacts & the calendar manually in Gmail to then have it automatically update my Droid X.

I donít believe I would switch back to the iPhone even if it became available on Verizon. I still have an iPod Touch I haven't used in the last 4 months. I'm going to sell it on eBay as my Droid X does everything the Touch was doing.

Have fun, Ray.

Have fun,

Ray
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 03:35 PM »

Valid points Tom (patters)

Our Moto 'Droids are actually good phones, as good or better then the LG Envy's we had before and better then any of the previous phones we've had and we live on the fringes of any signal, I dropped Denny the other day but once in the right area of the house we did OK.

When I got mine the sales lady was so exited showing me all the cool features and installing apps I finally had to ask "How do I make a phone call?" since it wasn't obvious. Seems that is a secondary feature in their minds too ... LOL  

There are more hoops to jump through then a standard phone with a number pad right on the body to place a call the "Old" way. The first thing you'll learn is shortcuts on one of your 3-7 screens for direct dial to your most often used numbers, that gets you down to - Power, Swipe & Tap, easier then my old phones IMO, but you won't find that info in the manual. And scrolling through my 150+ contacts is easier, again IMO, with a swipe then clicking through that contact list or typing letters on a number pad to search through the list or programing and remembering hotkeys. Of course YMMV. It takes a while to learn the tricks, it did me, I've been experimenting with this thing since April and I'm still learning new things. There should be an Android for Dummy's but Google is updating the OS so fast that it would be outdated before the ink was dry. Endless entertainment for tinkerers like me though  Wink

If you do it set up a Gmail account now if you don't have one so you're not pressed for a name at the counter, you should have one for backups, the phones backup all your data to it in case the phone ever dies. Convenient since Verizon had to replace 2 of our 3 for a total of 6 or 7 replacements during the Froyo update which had problems, they were great and helpful through that process though.  

Oh and let them do any OS upgrades in the store if available since those can cause problems if done in a fringe area, but ask that they not install any apps, Verizon has already installed many you don't need or want in order to sell your stats for a profit and those you can't uninstall those unless you 'root' it, you don't need them installing more at the point of sale, I removed most of what the sales lady installed.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 03:47 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 04:04 PM »

And Synch with iTunes? "There's an App for that" (blantantly stolen from Apple  Wink ) plug the phone into your computer with the supplied cable ... done ...

Easier? Well the phone does WiFi or Bluetooth networking, this app doesn't say it but by next week they'll probably synch automatically whenever you're in range, if not post it to a Dev forum, somebody will want to make that buck.

Grin Oh already done, iSYNCR by JRTStudios in the marketplace, $2.99 for the App, the WiFi Plugin is free.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 04:41 PM by mikenchico » Logged

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 05:51 PM »

Thanks for all the input.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 08:34 PM »

The PROBLEM is Google has one foot over the "Do not be evil" line with these things and is testing the waters, some of the apps have fully crossed the line IMO.
Don't know if this is where you were going but the BIG problem with Android phones is the manufactures bloating the phones with pre-installed apps. I don't think it's Google adding them or making the deals... I think it's the phone manufactures. Google comes out with a great OS that can do just about anything but now we are seeing the phone manufactures bloating the OS with their own software (MotoBlur... a joke) and making revenue from 3rd parties for pre-loading apps into the OS.

The other problem I'm starting to notice... and this is not that big of a deal... is that most app developers are now coding their apps to load upon boot up, automatically. This is a version of Linux so I understand apps load into memory but don't use CPU time... still, with every app loading into memory, apps are going to load and unload which is going to slow the system down and drain the battery. They do this so their apps will load quickly when they are used.

So the other consideration to give is what phone do the manufactures leave alone the most. That is, what phone has the least modified OS.

If you ask me, this is a HUGE Android drawback and one that is/will hurt their sales. When left in the hands of phone manufactures, even something perfect will get screwed up.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
mnkypkl

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 08:27 PM »

I have a Droid X which I'm addicted to. Great phone and mini computer terminal but... Like all technology give it up because whatever you buy today is obsolete tomorrow. With that in mind, I saw a HTC Incredible (awesome phone) for free with a two year contract at one phone store. Go for it, I did and no regrets.
Kevin
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 09:53 PM »

The other problem I'm starting to notice... and this is not that big of a deal... is that most app developers are now coding their apps to load upon boot up, automatically. This is a version of Linux so I understand apps load into memory but don't use CPU time... still, with every app loading into memory, apps are going to load and unload which is going to slow the system down and drain the battery. They do this so their apps will load quickly when they are used.

If you ask me, this is a HUGE Android drawback and one that is/will hurt their sales. When left in the hands of phone manufactures, even something perfect will get screwed up.

For the record I am a software engineer.... I do not work for Google.... I love Android....

First let me address the "apps starting up on boot up" ... actually many apps are started automatically even if you kill them.... but good news... an android app MUST be written to be entered from ANY point in the program, bakes your noodle the first time you write an app ... (really think from any screen) this is how the multitasking is handled and how android has had the iPhone beaten with that one since forever. (remember iphone apps have to be written to be multitaskable with iphone4).... you will be surprised about the battery life of an android phone.. I have an EVO 4G received at Google IO and I listen to Pandora over 3g for a minimum of 2hrs a day on a single charge... constantly tweet and text, browse the web, etc..... all on one charge....

As to the application "problems" people are seeing.... Google takes a different approach than Apple.... Apple decides who gets to put an app in the app store... they don't like your app or they think it competes with them or AT&T..... they don't let it in... this is the reason you can't make skype calls over 3g on the iphone. Google on the other hand tasks a less draconian approach and lets the users determine which apps are successful in the market... those that do a good job and people love.... will end up on top.... the others will be forgotten in the bowels of the marketplace....

As for manufactures adding bloat ware to Android phones.... probably the worst is T-Mobile and the worst thing they add is a MyFavs app for managing your fav5.... pretty harmless... you don't like the other stuff uninstall it....

there are several models for how android can be sold by OEMs and partners on phones... each has different levels of customization...

ohhh and Android was on the first 4G phone (HTC EVO [what I have]) and was on the first phone capable of video chat over a datanetwork (3g or 4g... the EVO again) oh and did I mention the EVO has a bigger screen than the iphone4 (yes i also like iphone bashing)

tcope

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 10:00 PM »

Certainly up there with TM (provider) is Motorola (manufacture) with MotoBlur. There is just no reason to add all that crap on the phone. It can all be added with apps. Moto is hacking up Android... bad.

I'm no Apply lover (things don't appeal to me just because they are shiny) but at least Apple is in control of their OS.

What a vast majority of Android app users won't know is how those apps are affecting their phone (loading on boot up, etc) so they won't rate is based on this. Also I've seen plenty of people complain that an app won't even work and give it 5 stars. Not to mention the amount of spam comments that give apps 5 stars.

Nothing against Android... I just see it's open status as something that is also going to hurt it.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 10:10 PM »

interesting points .... this is where the differences in Open vs Closed source/platforms come out. Android is an open platform.... with an open community surrounding it. This means that there is some responsibility on the users to be educated.... unlike iOS where users simply rely on the all knowing Apple to tell them how to use their phones and what applications to use ..... i prefer choice over listening to some corporation telling me what I need.

tcope

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 10:22 PM »

unlike iOS where users simply rely on the all knowing Apple to tell them how to use their phones and what applications to use ..... i prefer choice over listening to some corporation telling me what I need.
But Android is not truly open and as an end user you _don't_ have choices... at least not more then Apple gives.

(without rooting)

Your Android phone comes preloaded with apps that start on boot up and cannot be deleted. As the end user you have no choice but to keep these apps on the phone. Every update from Google goes to your phone manufacture to allow them to do just about what ever they want with it.

Also, Google nor the phone manufactures have any control over the apps that people write. We've not seen this abused yet (or next to nothing) and I agree, users will keep a lot of this abuse from happening... but who is in control of these apps? It's a double edged sword.

It would have been nice to see Google release the OS under license but this is not Google's style nor does it fit their business direction. Its great... but it can (and does) hurt a lot of their products (Android is one... Google TV will be another).

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 07:54 AM »

On my 'Droid 1 there are apps added either by Motorola or at Verizons request, but they open whenever you use the phone, text or open the browser even though you have force closed them a few dozen times, Amazons MP3 Market, Visual Voice Mail (No I do not use the service, that has to be by Verizons request since you pay them for it) & News & Weather (I have it set to never background refresh). They can not be removed without voiding your warranty and they can't be stopped from, I assume, harvesting usage statistics.

Just bothers me and many others, in the forums there are many posts from disgrunted users who threaten they will never shop Amazon because of that app.

I installed the Google Voice app the other day and my battery life went right down the drain, it was going days on standby, down to 6 hours. I took it out again but am not seeing any improvement, the battery went from 100% to 40% over 12 hours with only 2 phone calls, total use 3 minutes. Hopefully this reboot helps. I did notice something had been turning my wireless on during those few days too, I don't recall the Google Voice app having that access, so I'll be researching that. I hadn't installed anything else, just some updates.

I do leave the GPS on, my little way of supporting all this, right now I'm OK with a little data harvesting and location is the least of my concern on gathered stats. You can turn it off to extend battery life.

Still love the Moto 'Droids, haven't had any hardware problems, everything has been software related. The 3 returns I had were from the update to 2.2 being fed to me where there was no data service and it came in over a spotty wireless in our cabin and crashed. The phone to it's credit restored itself to working condition but wouldn't update after that, the other two were unacceptable "As New" refurb replacements that had had the power receptical broken by users who either crammed a mini usb plug from their cameras into it or ripped the cord out sideways. Both those were replaced with a smile and overnite delivery.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography