GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 11:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Android Phone  (Read 5102 times)
Old Greebo
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 12:31 PM »

Sigh!  You're all so gadget-savvy!
I'm still using the Nokia 6300 I bought 3 years ago.  It does internet stuff, I think, but I've never tried it.  It apparently has some 'apps' loaded, and I think they're just games.  Must try them some time.
I'm happy to save computer stuff for my home (laptop) computer.  Why do I need my telephone to go (at much greater expense) onto the web?
The only 'extra' that I demand of my pocket telephone is the ability to take the occasional picture.
I think it will do videos too.  With sound, even.  One day I might put it to the test.  Haven't needed to yet ...

Has anyone here been conned into buying a Kindle?   (Other e-readers are available.)    I was really thinking I wanted one, until I discovered that the books for it cost about 50 percent *more* than I can buy the paper versions for in my local supermarket!    So there's never going to be any way of writing off the initial outlay ...
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 12:50 PM »

I'm still using the Nokia 6300 I bought 3 years ago.
Let's just admit th truth... Nokia can make phone! I had a 6620 for a long time. What it could do then was not matched until recently (and it came out about 6 years ago. Symbian still has a HUGE majority of the phone market (world wide). Combine all other phone OS's and the just beat out Symbian collectively.

Symbian is truly bullet proof.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 12:53 PM »

not sure why people are so up in arms about the manufacturer apps on Android phones ... if you don't like it ... tell the vendor ...

as for usage monitoring (being a conspiracy nut myself) don't worry its not like they can't and don't already read all your email.... the phone can/and does approximate its location based on cell signal anyway. Open Maps without GPS turned on and you will see its pretty close... etc. If you aren't using services like weather and news etc... you may well be missing the point ... ohh and if you are not in love with Google Navigation .... you are crazy.... sorry but much better than most other non usage specific devices.

Has anyone here been conned into buying a Kindle?   (Other e-readers are available.)    I was really thinking I wanted one, until I discovered that the books for it cost about 50 percent *more* than I can buy the paper versions for in my local supermarket!    So there's never going to be any way of writing off the initial outlay ...

I own a Kindle DX and use it mostly for reading large reference material (that would normally weigh in around 3-5 lbs per book).... the extreme light weight of the Kindle and drop dead convenience of having it when I need it, along with native pdf support (in the DX and newer) as well as the ability to purchase material from anywhere at any time, make it very much worthwhile. Also Kindle versions of most of the material I purchase cost a min of 20% less if not 50% less than the real versions.... there is also a huge selection of free material and nearly free ($0.99) material available. it supports many formats including .mobi which comes with many of the paper versions I buy of some material.... having a book on the kindle and in paper form at home... makes my life extremely simple....
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 12:54 PM »

it is a shame that Symbian does not consume a greater marketshare.... excellent platform
in.divi.dual
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 04:34 PM »

Old Greebo
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 04:38 PM »

Yeah, individual.   (insert full stops as appropriate)
About right, I reckon. Embarrassed
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 05:23 PM »

not sure why people are so up in arms about the manufacturer apps on Android phones ... if you don't like it ... tell the vendor ...

It's kind of like getting Windows in my mind - hardly anyone buys or installs it, it just comes with your new machine.  The problem is that each hardware vendor makes deals with all sorts of other companies and it comes loaded to the gills with stuff that you don't want or need and in fact is mostly rubbish.  It's never a good consumer experience - bloatware combined with the software you then install that you actually do want and the whole system becomes fragile.

Say what you want about Apple and the iPhone, but they have this figured out - most consumers simply want to buy a device that "just works" with no need to uninstall, reinstall, or
otherwise tweak it.  They spend their time using the thing, rather than "fixing" it.

6 kite tom
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 05:54 PM »

Say what you want about Apple and the iPhone,
Okay

but they have this figured out - most consumers simply want to buy a device that "just works"
Kind of like a phone that can make and receive calls? Smiley

Just another example of Apple putting form over function. Smiley

Seriously... you did not just say Apply has figured out how to make a product that just "works". Apply _has_ figured out that people _will_ buy something for the brand alone.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 06:18 PM by tcope » Logged

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 06:09 PM »

I wouldn't compare it to windows.... and I happen to love windows (hey it gets me paid) ....

Maybe *I* am the one who doesn't get it.... I must be wrong in wanting choice..... I mean I know people love to pay all that extra $$ for their fancy i<Insert-Obvious-Name-Here> or Macbook Pro etc.... however I personally prefer to have a massive selection of hardware to choose from. I almost bought a mac to run Windows on but couldn't find one with my hardware/performance/weight specs i required [my requirements not Windows] ... luckily I found a PC for 1/2 the Macbook Pro base price with more than adequate specs. Its not pretty and doesn't give me automatic "OMG ur so sheik" cred ... but it can run circles around similar macs (did I mention it cost 1/2 as much?).

So what is the choice in Android.... well.... how many phones are there that can run iOS? how many carriers can you use your non-hacked (and thus partly crippled) iPhone on? D'oh ... one device.... one carrier... maybe if I was willing to give up my ability to choose for myself, well then maybe I would be interested in letting the someone else tell me what device I get the honor of using and what network I get the honor of paying....

So the break down is.....

you want to choose for yourself what you want -> Android
you want to be told what you want -> iPhone

Ohh and for the haters....I was once a Mac user/owner/hacker .... so its not like I have no experience with them.
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 06:14 PM »

I am with tcope on :

"Apple _has_ figured out that people _will_ buy something for the brand alone. "
tpatter

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, 06:47 PM »

You guys are proving my point - consumers want stuff that works right out of the box in a standardized way.  The "choice" they want is in the applications they want to run in order to do something useful - it doesn't matter how that is delivered whether its an iPhone or an Android device, but it needs to work extremely well.

The big differentiator is always cost, and Android will likely win there - it's hard to compete with "free" even if you are better, "good enough" will win out for most consumers.

6 kite tom
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 07:07 PM »

I still don't get it... my Evo worked perfectly... right out of the box... so did my PC.... I don't see how Apple is any better....

If OEMs choose to try and differentiate themselves by providing software that they believe is "added value" that is not a problem of windows or MSFT ...

at this point we are on the verge of a religious discussion... ie MacOS vs Windows etc..... no one ever wins those... so I will stop before we start... 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 07:11 PM by Ang3lFir3 » Logged
tpatter

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, 09:39 PM »

at this point we are on the verge of a religious discussion... ie MacOS vs Windows etc..... no one ever wins those... so I will stop before we start... 

Agreed - we can agree to disagree on that.  Smiley 

Besides, I think we can all agree that the Android OS is a big boon for phones in general which is the topic of this thread.  Comparing them to previous phones is like comparing flint rock to a butane lighter.

6 kite tom
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2010, 06:03 AM »

Seems the Droid X is the most popular of the Android phones and it seems Motorola is preferred to HTC, LG, and Samsung. The latter two not even getting a mention in this thread.
It also sounds like these smartphones are a lot like boxed PC's. They come with a lot of, don't want, don't need, and can't get rid of, junk. I could never own another Dell, so maybe I should hold off on getting an Android for now.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2010, 09:18 AM »

Well you'll never get a completely clean one, unlike a PC there is no way you are ever going to build your own. Rooting introduces it's own problems it seems the bit I've looked into.

Did anybody mention the bar code scanner? Selling point for the wife. Go to a store, no price, no problem, scan it. The app then goes on line and gets the price and all competitive prices, heck it might be significantly cheaper across the street, or worth the wait to order on line, click a few more buttons and it's in the mail.

I was at a walmart at 4 in the morning needing a new gas cap which I forgot to put on at the 1 am fill up, no info at walmart, just a dozen styles, talked to the phone "gas cap, 1991 ford explorer", got the part number, crossed it with walmarts numbers and walked out in 5 minutes. Cheaper then the $20 I figured an Oregon gas station would've charged me and they wouldn't have let me drive out without one.

It was announced this week there's a new app that has maps of participating stores, no more walking around for 30 minutes to find the light bulbs, talk to the phone, get a map and an arrow to follow. Even input your shopping list and it'll map out the shortest route and remind you you need cake flour when you're near I guess.

Having complete, unfettered access to the internet, voice input, that navigation app and all the little apps available is addicting, in just a few days you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. I never tire of clicking that microphone button and saying ... well lets say for today ... "minimum temperature to cook a turkey to?" and the answer is there in one click  Smiley guess you could've and maybe should've called Aunt Martha since it is Thanksgiving but dang it's convenient.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change