GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 09:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: July 11th, High-camp Squaw Valley, Live Music and Kite Festival  (Read 1075 times)
philkal
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 06, 2009, 02:11 AM »

There is another similar post Huh  (from ME!) but I created a post, versus a calendar link initially...

And/but this is worth a Second post, as it is an Event you DON'T want to miss!

Please email if you want additional info on the FREE lunch! Event, location, etc.

This is the 6th or 7th? (I've lost track!) annual event, and one I HUGELY look forward to each year.

Last year I was challenged to land a Rev on the Drummers Shoulder.. (tip stand).. so I did. and he about jumped out of his chair! (while he was playing the drums!)

FUN! is an understatement! Grin

Phil
philkal

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 03:50 PM »

Squaw Valley event link.

Nice pic!

http://www.squaw.com/soaring-kites-and-music-festival
philkal

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 04:30 PM »

Thanks to Jim, who tickled my documenting funny bone  Huh

Below is a 'blurb' of what the 'past' events have been like, besides the standard, sometimes wind, sometimes not...

Last year the wind was GREAT! as I recall Perfect!

SO!.. What is the Squaw Valley event 'like'?  Lets take a virtual tour!

You arrive at 'base-camp' and park at a Massive Parking lot (6000 ft) and carry your kites into a building that houses the launch/landing zone for the tram that takes us up several thousand feet, 8200, (high camp) if my memory servers correctly.

No cars, just what you can 'carry' for the day.

There are things to purchase at base camp, and high camp.
Including food and drinks.  You may want to bring water and PLENTY of sunblock.

There is a nice view of Lake Tahoe, the pool, hot-tub, and covered iceskating Rink. 

There is an Live Webcam at the Squaw Valley site if you want to check it out: http://www.squaw.com/high-camp-cam

PLENTY of hiking trials and places to fly.
There is a 'patch' of grass for the music listeners to sit, and/or byoc (Bring your own Chair)

The Flying area is a little rough, ie rocky, but not a problem for the experience flyer.

We (exhibitors) teach people to fly kites, single, dual and quad.
And of course, fly to music.

Hiking boots recommend.

The Kite Exhibitors need to RSVP, generally a month or so in advance, so the meals, box lunch and NICE dinner can be ordered accordingly.

Bottled water is provided during the day as well. (but I'd bring your own.. also!)

In the past, there has been small-kite making, face painting, etc.

It can be warm, or cold, or both, so dress accordingly, ie layers.

We don't normally get rained on, but it did happen a few years ago Smiley  And of course some of us flew in the rain anyway!

There is 'sometimes' a few small electric radio controlled planes (for entertainment, if the wind doesn't cooperate!)

AND There is generally a live band.  Can't have a blues and kite festival without the BLUES!

First Tram goes up the hill at 9:20, and every 20 minutes.

The event 'officially starts' with Music about 11-ish, but we fly when we arrive (and wind permits)

Music generally ends 4:30-5pm and we generally eat dinner about 6pm.

We fly, teach people to fly and assist with their kites.

Note: There is a Fee to ride the tram, unless you RSVP with preregistration, then it is free for Kite Exhibitors. 

I will let everyone know details about pre-registration when it becomes available.

AND.. We'll have Healthy Chocolate this year!  Samples while they last, and 7 day gift packs available for sale.

www.HealthyChocolateinReno.com if you can't wait for Diabetic-friendly (low glycemic) Healthy Chocolate!

WHEW! Monster post/Info.

Did I mention it was a GREAT TIME!?  We look SOOOOO FORWARD to this event EACH and every year, it is the highlight of the year!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum