GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 08:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, whats your kite grump story? How did you handle it?  (Read 3236 times)
Scott Blake
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 23, 2010, 01:15 PM »

Just curious what other people's experiences have been and how they have handled the inevitable (it seems) 'kite grump'.

Today I was on a 2 kilometer long side of the road parking/toilet rest stop down just in front of the berm that dropped down to the 'beach' (rocks, big ones).  So my kite was on 50 feet lines and going back and forth probably another 30 feet to 200 feet from the parking lot (wind was from behind me blowing me back inland in the direction of the front of the lot).  People come, park, do whatever in their cars and leave (many watching the kite of course).  No one is out walking along the front of the beach or its berm.  There are no signs about anything other than 'watch out for thieves'.

So I am getting tired and coming up on leaving.  There is only 2 other vehicles in the lot by this point and I am on the left wind window section practicing stalls.  Out comes this fat old guy from his vehicle (bmw x3) and makes his way over from my far right.  He has been there for 30 minutes I figure.  I only really see him come out of the corner of my eye but am thinking since he has been there watching both the beach and I am sure the kite (it has done passes along the whole wind window of course); so I am thinking he is going to ask something about the kite (happens a lot, especially with kids).

Nope, he is all 'this isn't the place for those things' and 'there are miles of empty beach 1 mile north and 2 miles south of here' and 'this is a parking lot where people come to look at the ocean'.  Well there are no signs and so far people have come to park/walk dogs/take photos/fish and I was the one guy keeping as far as possible away from this section (of about 3) of the parking spot (which is huge).

So, I figure just go with the flow with this muppet and ask where these other spots are and how far away they are (I was practically calling it a day anyway).  He then adds, just to I don't know what say 'if that thing hits my car, I will drive my car through yours' (and its miles from his vehicle at this point).  I mean really now old man, mellow out I am thinking as this is not really called for (I hadn't been confrontational as much as I was leaning towards it more with his attitude by that point).  I was tempted to say 'dude, its a &%#*ty little x3 bmw worth maybe 20,000 bucks, sod off, its nothing special' (I am sure he was thinking it was).  Anyway, I land and begin packing up and he drives off.

I couldn't help but think, what kind of person actually goes out of their way to make a stink about something so long after it is something that must have been bothering them; clearly, a 'kite grouch'.  Unfortunately, as 'zen' as I was feeling, his stupidity ruined that whole afternoon out.  I did check out farther south and any 'beach' was more scrub grass and you guessed it, another parking lot that surely would have another kite grouch in it if you stayed long enough.  It almost seems some people just really hate seeing others have fun - I bet if a few people were playing beach volleyball he would have had a problem with that as well.

So, what expericences have you folks had and how have you dealt with fools like this?  Having both hands holding ropes out and up above your head at least stops you from punching them hehe; but also of course tends to make one feel a bit pinned in the spot with an unknown commodity beside you making a stink.

The biggest pisser; I tightened my sail but forgot to put the nub back on the back of the trailing edge and sure enough, lost it (yet something else for me to get Steve to send).

tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 01:39 PM »

I see it like this.....there are many a**holes in the world - don't let any of them ruin your good times.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:02 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 01:45 PM »

A smile and a one finger salute seem appropriate.

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 01:58 PM »

The world is full of bitter twisted people who can always find something to complain about.

Take consolation in the fact that you can fly a kite and chill, people like that spend every day upset about something. What a miserable life they must lead.

Move if needs be but just shrug it off and don't let him spoil your day.

tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 03:05 PM »

I've usually flown on the beach but regardless of where I'm flying if there are people around I usually let them know what I will be doing and ask if they have any issues, to please let me know. I was recently flying behind a school with about 5 soccer fields. No one was there so I spread out my SLKs. One was close to a soccer field but not over it. 5 guys started to kick the ball around on the field. I went over and told them to feel free to let me know if I needed to move anything, they it was not a problem. If I'm flying on the beach, same goes double. Unless I'm flying on a field made to fly kites, I always look at it as being in someone else's area. That is, those people have the right of way.

Many people don't understand kite flying. Hard for us to imagine but it's true. Heck, most of them don't understand that the kite needs to be down wind. It's their ignorance but this does not mean that we should be jerks about it. If one kite flier gives someone a hard time, that kite flier ruins it for the rest of us!

So, I always try to be proactive and check with people first. I always try to go out of my way to make sure no one has an issue with what I'm doing. It's not a question of being right or wrong... it's a think about making a good impression.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Scott Blake

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 03:11 PM »

Which is why I didn't tell the guy to go #$%^ himself tscope...or flip him the bird when he was pulling away which had I thought of that at the time might have been tempting as well.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 04:48 AM »

I don't know... I fly on a spot on the beach that is about a mile in either direction from a public beach (the designated spots with lifeguards) and make sure I set up with plenty of room from anyone else. I certainly don't walk around and ask other people's permission to fly. Do you ask permission to play frisbee, volleyball, go metal detecting ? I am friendly with most of the people who walk between me & my kite, just park the kite up high on the opposite side of the window from the wandering knucklehead, and say hello, nice day, whatever to them. That's about as friendly as it gets in New York, and I'll tell you, I get a response less than half the time. But that's another story...
I have been lucky, flying dual line at this spot for almost 10 years (hanging out on this beach for close to 20 years), and never had a run in like I've heard some others report. Beach regulars know me, and I know a bunch of them. At the height of sunbathing season, I go to an inland grassy hill to avoid the beach crowd, because although you could fly at the beach, there are just too many people wandering around, and I have had people set up beach blankets right in the middle of my flying area. I start early in the morning when it's hot, and that's usually the signal that it's getting late, and time to get back to the family. But I love my grassy hill spot because there's no one around, they're all at the beach. I get the beach to myself 8 months out of the year, anyway.

Not kite related… but very similar to the situation in the original post… I take my kids out for a walk when I get home from work, to take them off of my wife’s hands for an hour or so. My kids are 1  ½ and 2  ½, so they’re a handful. We usually walk on the grounds of the school that is in my neighborhood, and one of my kids’ favorite things are these snaps that you throw on the ground, and they go bang. They call them ‘bang rocks’ and just have the best time throwing them and stomping on them. So, there’s this old woman that walks her dog in the neighborhood that doesn’t like to see people having a good time, I guess, and she comes over and yells at us for playing with the ‘bang rocks’ whenever she sees us. Not in a pleasant way, she demands we stop because she & her dog don’t like it… I tell her that my 2 kids DO like it and that’s all I care about. Basically, I tell her  tough luck, this is what we're doing. When we're done, we'll stop.

There are grumpy people everywhere, and you just have to laugh at them, and mess with them if you can… If someone flips you off… wave back to them with a big smile, that really pisses them off…

~Rob.

quintum

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 07:08 AM »

I would have calmly made several suggestions, but that's just me....

Not being a Christian I don't have any of the 'turn the other cheek' philosophy, and I decided a long time ago that nobody gets over on me.  This attitude has saved my life several times from people who thought they knew more than me - about me! 

Plus, I'm old enough to be entitled to get disturbed by these people who were total hippies when THEY were young but now that they're feeling their mortality decide that it is their job to be authoritarians. I don't know what it is - poor diet or bad heart health maybe - but I'm seeing even some of my friends starting to become all crusty, crochety versions of what they were when they were younger. 

I don't get bothered where I fly but not too long ago I was sitting outdoors - outdoors! - in back of the Student Union and this lady told me to put out my cigarette because it was "blowing smoke at her baby".  Could you imagine?  I won't tell you what I said, but she left with her baby in a hurry.  If she had only been polite about it I probably would have obliged her just to be considerate, but no...

And yes, I AM my brother's keeper.  Part of it could very well be that unconsciously flying a kite is a symbol of releasing the ego, which is just what they've never been able to do (I'm serious here), but like they say at work, "that sounds like a personal problem...!"

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 07:34 AM by quintum » Logged
ezme6
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 12:03 PM »

I pretend I am deaf, and start using made up sign language. Never been busted by some one who really knows it ...LOL

"Do what you like"
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 12:40 PM »

Tom ... sign language ... that was my suggestion  Wink.

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 12:50 PM »

I pretend I am deaf, and start using made up sign language.
What?

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
lylenc

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 01:53 PM »

Tom ... sign language ... that was my suggestion  Wink.

LOL

I try to ignore the jerks' comments and move to a vacant area, if my flying area gets invaded. My zen level remains the highest that way. I usually get more upset at my actions and dwell on it longer, if I respond. However, there are times that a few seconds of pleasure in the response outweight an hour of time to recover the zen.

My one drive-by shoutout was from a community college student leaning half way out the passenger side of a pickup that was going up the street. He yelled, Kite Loser! All I could do was laugh, as my first thought was: his mother would cringe to know the hard earned tuition money she was paying for him couldn't generate something more intelligent, creative, or funny.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
DonB

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 01:43 PM »

Back in the previous millenium I was flying in a big park in San Ramon, CA. The large central grassy area was completely empty and I was doing my usual edge work with a lot of wing tip stands etc. then along comes this small yapping dog making a bee line for my kite. I calmly parked it over head and waited for the dog to lose interest which he did in short order.

Then the owner, a late twenties woman, came over and got right in my face. She was literally screaming at me because I wouldn't fly back and forth and land and let her dog chase my kite. I asked her if she would sign an agreement that she would pay to replace my kite, don't recall her reply but it wasn't positive.  She just continued to rant that I was obviously an inconsiderate novice kite flyer because any experienced kite flyer would enjoy entertaining her dog. I just kept the kite parked and let her finish her ranting, when she left I continued flying.

I was flying there some days later I saw (and heard!) her again, only this time she was ranting vociferously at a police officer who was writing her a citation for violating the park's leash law.  Never had a problem with her dog (or her) again.  Cool

Cheers,

db
lylenc

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 09:02 AM »

I've had dogs pee on my bags and kites more times than I cared to happen. One time at Lincoln City, on the north side of the D River, there was a large waist-high log laying half way out the beach. I decided to put my bag on that log while flying and thought to myself, "I won't have to worry about dogs peeing on my stuff today."  Cool  Within about a half hour, a family comes out on the beach from the Best Western with their dog - a Great Dane.   Huh

The first thing the dog sees is the log and he makes a bee line for it to pee. Shocked  Before I could get to the bag, he was doing his thing, but he hit the log just below the bag. As always, the family walked on without any comment or care. All I could do was a half-hearted silent laugh and sigh of relief.  Undecided What are the odds of finding a big log for the bag and still having to worry?  Huh

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 10:49 AM »

Then the owner, a late twenties woman, came over and got right in my face. She was literally screaming at me because I wouldn't fly back and forth and land and let her dog chase my kite. I asked her if she would sign an agreement that she would pay to replace my kite, don't recall her reply but it wasn't positive.  She just continued to rant that I was obviously an inconsiderate novice kite flyer because any experienced kite flyer would enjoy entertaining her dog.

I love my dog... on many a misanthropic day, more than most humans, but.... WTELF

ATB,
Sam

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography