GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 01:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, whats your kite grump story? How did you handle it?  (Read 3337 times)
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 11:12 AM »

Mine goes way back to flying a three stack of action kites on the beach at LBI NJ. I'd found the widest spot where I could back up a few feet into the water and my  old school 150 ft lines just cleared the snow fence at the dunes. I'd been flying about 15 minutes when a women dragged her beach chair about 75 feet from the entrance through the dunes to be directly in front of me and and set up and began to read. This affected my limited talents on ground passes but I guess those old kites were loud enough to set her on edge. On decks over looking the beach people had gathered to watch the kites (they didn't know big circles and straightish lines were no big deal) My friend John was with me and we chatted and I flew until this 19 year old or so surfer ran out of the water and up to the woman. We could see a heated discussion  and the lad ran up a told me I had to go  I was bothering his mother. I told him I was there first and he could see there was no other spot wide enough so he could trot back and move her. HE then told me he would get a knife and cut my lines. Now my late friend John looked like a Hells Angel built like a Quaker Oats box long grey pony tail on a big Teddy Kennedy head with the smile. He was smiling when he said "Sonny you come back here with a knife and I'm going to break both your arms and legs and leave you bobbing the surf." I really miss John.  Any way after stammering "I'm going to get the cops" off he ran . I flew awhile longer and sure enough a police office got his shoes sandy and started towards the woman. I landed to a chorus of boos  from my now drunken fans.  I really was finished anyway as the tide was coming in. I winded my lines and the cop waited for me to come to him. We chatted and established it was after five and I had every right to fly and that was that. For me   John however walked towards the woman and said " just because your husband is back in New York f ing his secretary there is no reason spread your misery"    

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
the*real*stoney
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 01:58 PM »

When someone stops to give you a piece of their mind, stop and listen quietly until they have finished. Then stroke your chin, roll your eyes upward and say:

"HMMMM -Gee, as far as I know, I don't know and it's all inter-mural to me anyway as far as I'm circumvented. You seemed to be a very intelligent person until you started talking. I'd love to discuss this in more detail but, unfortunately, I don't have any more time to waste."  Smile sympathetically and walk away.
Stoney
AhMayzon
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 10:08 PM »

I had a German Shepherd turned loose on me once.  I was out at the local park flying (a custom Prophecy of all things), no one else there, and a woman comes walking her dog.  He sees the kite and starts snapping/barking/jumping at the end of his leash.  I fly to the top of the window and park in the hopes he loses interest and they can just walk past; at this point the woman turns the dog loose so he can chase the kite.  (so now I've got a really hyper German Shepherd off-leash, barking and leaping and looking up). Shocked
When it became obvious I wasn't moving the kite, the woman came over and yelled at me for not "playing with her dog".  I asked if she'd be willing to replace the kite if he ate it; of course her dog wouldn't do any such thing; he "just wanted to play with it". Roll Eyes  I wanted to just leave but couldn't land because of the dog; eventually they both decided I was boring and went on their way.  Smiley
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 10:26 PM »

I was flying once when a woman and her badly behaved pit bull showed up.  In a "leashed" area, the dog ran wild chasing my kite this way and that trying to catch it.  When the dog came close to me, I lunged at it and told it to sit. After a few times, he did. 

His owner was shocked.  She couldn't believe how he just sat there and watched the kite.  Any time he tried to move, I "barked" at him. 

Dogs really just want to be told what to do.  Most like nothing better than to know where they stand.  The thing is, you really have to tell them as if you know they are going to listen to you.  If you make it sound optional, it will be. 

I'm a firm believer in the old saying that there are no bad dogs, just bad owners.  I recommended that she enroll herself and the dog in some obedience training classes.  As she leashed the dog to take it back to her car, it literally dragged her off down the hill - I hope she took my advice.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 10:28 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 04:43 AM »

I'm a firm believer in the old saying that there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. 

+1

Unfortunately, some owners are untrainable.... and have less redeeming qualities than their furry caretakers.

ATB,
Sam
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 07:46 AM »

I'm a firm believer in the old saying that there are no bad dogs, just bad owners.  I recommended that she enroll herself and the dog in some obedience training classes. 

Fixed it for you, really needed "her" emphasized.

100% correct, your explanation of dogs just wanting to know what their job is in the pack, only the rare alpha male will be more difficult to train. It's the tone of your voice that a dog understands, they don't understand words, and they learn quickly. I see you having firmly told the dog to sit, once he did you changed tone to a congratulatory "Good boy" and he knew he had learned what you wanted, sat there and watched and was happy. What 20 - 40 seconds of your time? And so many owners just can't give that to their pets, it ticks me off so much when I see it.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:48 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document