GWTW Forum
August 23, 2014, 01:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Found my son's first "Sport Kite" in my shoe box of old photos  (Read 2092 times)
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 10, 2010, 09:15 AM »

My son is now 31 years old...Here is a shot of his first duel line sport kite that I found in the bottom drawer of my old Boeing Wind tunnel Flight box.
Wow! This photo reeeeaaaally dates me...back to the 80's. This might have been our very first SPORT KITE? Huh
This photo was taken on a trip down the Ore. coast about a million years ago.
Fact is that this old kite started a passion for playing with the wind...that still burns in bof' our souls even today.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dave Gibson

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 03:31 AM »

thats cool havent ever seen a duel line like that Grin

My kite bag

Widow maker  STD
Widow maker UL
Delta Drive  STD
INAK SUL
Trick and Track
Prisim quantum STD
Night Hawk
Ignighter
Levelone  TIVAR ,
levelone Thor's Hammer
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 05:42 AM »

Love the colors on the kite... I think I had a pair of Vans sneakers with a similar layout (Fast Times shoes)...  Cool

Sketch

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 10:47 AM »

Speaking of Van's Sneakers...I had a pair that was part of my CLPA competition model airplane daze days and here is a shot of my weird hat to match my funny lookin'  precision aerobaticscompetition flying sneeeeekers' (Hummmmm? No so cool anymore. CHECKER SQUARES WERE THE "IN THING-THANG' in those late 70's. NOT! Cheesy
The model that I have posted here also really dates me... was last in a series of articles that was published waaay back in a 1974 issue of American Modeler magazine.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 10:50 AM by Sketch » Logged
TGunn
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 04:25 PM »

Looks like a Trlby Kite!

Troy Gunn

Founding member of TKO Sport Kite Team - USA

http://tko.sportkite.team.tripod.com/Troybio.htm
stapp59
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 06:48 PM »

Quote from: Sketch
The model that I have posted here also really dates me... was last in a series of articles that was published waaay back in a 1974 issue of American Modeler magazine.

The Avenger!  I used to have that mag. Fuse was white in the article.  OS 35 I believe.

We had this chat a while back....
Sketch

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 08:13 PM »

Quote from: Sketch

The Avenger!  I used to have that mag. Fuse was white in the article.  OS 35 I believe.

We had this chat a while back....
Yeh...that's was my first published Avenger Series CLPA models.
Built 3 different versions---until the SPORT KITE BUG BIT ME IN THE B-TT!  Huh

flyjay77

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 02:32 PM »

Dude , I love the C/L photos , grew up flying in W.A.M. with our club in MT.View CA., thats when a contest was a contest. nothing like today

Jason Pearson
Shorline Park Mt. View Ca.
1987-1990 pilot
Sketch

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 07:15 PM »

Dude , I love the C/L photos , grew up flying in W.A.M. with our club in MT.View CA., thats when a contest was a contest. nothing like today

For some beautiful old B&W photos from the old daze-days of control line just today...check out my
www.stunthanger.com website and go to the general forum heading.
Bob Hunt was Editor for many model magazine publications and he posted some amazing old photos taken by his father who was a professional photographer
In truth..
Over the years...the majority of my control line flyers are also addicted kite flyers...(just goes with anything "Gone with the Wind"
last photo is a shot of my kite bud Bob Hunt who also has designed and build...and won the world cup and nationals many times over the years.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 07:27 PM by Sketch » Logged
stapp59
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 02:39 AM »

Bill Werwage - USA1, Les McDonald - Stiletto, Bob Hunt - Genesis, Wynn Paul - PAMPA Wagon.

Great pic!  That was the National team that year was it not?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 02:48 AM by stapp59 » Logged
Sketch

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 12:35 PM »

Yes! That photo was taken at the FAI World Cup USA Team Trials.

HEY JUNKIE KITE KRAZZEEES!!!
What HELL does Control line stunt flyer have in common with kite flyers?  Roll Eyes Grin
Let Stapp 59 and old Sketch give U a clue? Wink
Years ago...in the mid 80's and early 90's after I became addicted to competition sportkite events...I had found that so many of my equally addicted control line flyers were also old Control line precision aerobatic flyers...were also addicted kite flyers.

Many of us would even never leave home for the model flying field WITHOUT A SPORTKITE in the car.

So many times when we would plan a flying session at the old Space Center back parking lot...the wind would be so strong that we couldn't fly our CL stunt models...
NEVA FEAR!!!
More often that not...in order to QUELL OUR ADDICTION TO THE WIND AND  NEED FOR A DAILY FLYING FIX we could just simply digging out that sportkite neatly tucked in the trunk or back seat and all would be well with the world (at least until the wind backed off enough to fly our little toy model airplanes.)

I always packed along a small sized sport kite that flew with a single control handle with about 75 feet of spectra line. My favorites were a Sky Fox and my my little Prism 3D that took to a single handle just beautifully.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:40 PM by Sketch » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document